Well, what do you know? I've been proved wrong again. Following the price reduction on the MDSM a while back, I'd have said that its future was not bright.

The big question is going to be: will the new model have Katalyst? Previous policy seemed to be that the Majik product range would not have Katalyst, but I suppose that, in current circumstances, Linn like everyone else is having to have a marketing rethink. Anyway, the specification of the new product will be of interest. If the pricing is anything like the current model, it might be a sensible replacement for my Kiko.

Let the speculation begin!

David

Very interesting - should know more in August I have heard. Just looking at the specs of the current one there is no obvious part that needs updating from a functional perspective.

Perhaps it may be a non-modular Selekt. Gets some of the Selekt looks but with a fixed spec. I would have thought a much prettier looking Majik DSM would be a better seller.

CJ

Super Wammer

Now removed from the release notes - so it must be true!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

Now removed from the release notes - so it must be true!  ;)

Noses are obviously out of joint in Linn Marketing. Happy Days!

David

I'm surprised to see so little speculation in this topic so far. So let's try to kick out some ideas. At the moment, it seems less interesting to create a wish list that to try to guess what might be in Linn's mind.

Over the last couple of years, in so fat as one can detect a trend (and some of the decisions made still strike me as perverse), a major theme in Linn's thinking has clearly been the sustainability of the business. Post-COVID, I suspect that sustainability will become the major theme. Gilad Tiefenbrun does not seem to be quite the bridge burner that his father could be at times. Gilad also came into the business when it was at its lowest ebb to date, and he is no doubt very mindful of that experience. Memorably, Gilad opened his presentation at a dealer conference a few years ago (no, I was not there) with the words "Nobody needs Hi-Fi".. So, while it would be odd if the new MDSM did not provide some surprises, I would expect that, in introducing it, Linn would be seeking to consolidate and strengthen the lower end of their product range, and thereby, even in difficult times, to attract more people into the fold.

This implies that the price point of the new MDSM ought to be at or near the price of the current product. But any significant improvement in performance will start to take the MDSM into the territory occupied by Selekt. Assuming that Select remains in the catalogue, product differentiation will need to be maintained. While CJ's idea of a non-modular Selekt makes some sense, I would expect to see the more basic Majik styling at the lower price point, particularly as there is also sense in maintaining visual continuity with other Majik products (and in saving some production cost as well).

Within the case, I think that there will be new board designs, making use of the (relatively) new board production machinery and the smaller components it uses, and creating new opportunities for improving the board layout. It also seems likely that the amplification will follow the example of Selekt and make the transition from Chakra to Class D. I'm less sure about what, if anything, Linn might do to change the peripheral boards (HDMI and phono/analogue input). The redesign of the main board might free up some space for the phono stage to move on board, which would be interesting.

As I said in my previous post, it is also interesting to consider whether the new MDSM will be fitted with Katalyst. I doubt that it will be, but, if it is, it would surely then be necessary to make Selekt a Katalyst-only device, which would create a product differentiation issue. Katalyst at Majik level would also be a signal that Linn is starting to think about some form of Katalyst Plus at the Klimax and possibly Akurate levels.

Are there any other thoughts about what will be in the new MDSM design?

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

David,

Can't see Linn making any song and dance about changing the internal boards, power amp design etc. A casual customer is going to see an identical product.

I definitely think a major case redesign is on the cards. After all the Majik DSM is for most people an all in one product. At least in the short term matching the Majik power amp case work is not important. After all a Majik LP12 does not look like a Majik power amp either.

CJ

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

I'm surprised to see so little speculation in this topic so far. So let's try to kick out some ideas. At the moment, it seems less interesting to create a wish list that to try to guess what might be in Linn's mind.

Over the last couple of years, in so fat as one can detect a trend (and some of the decisions made still strike me as perverse), a major theme in Linn's thinking has clearly been the sustainability of the business. Post-COVID, I suspect that sustainability will become the major theme. Gilad Tiefenbrun does not seem to be quite the bridge burner that his father could be at times. Gilad also came into the business when it was at its lowest ebb to date, and he is no doubt very mindful of that experience. Memorably, Gilad opened his presentation at a dealer conference a few years ago (no, I was not there) with the words "Nobody needs Hi-Fi".. So, while it would be odd if the new MDSM did not provide some surprises, I would expect that, in introducing it, Linn would be seeking to consolidate and strengthen the lower end of their product range, and thereby, even in difficult times, to attract more people into the fold.

This implies that the price point of the new MDSM ought to be at or near the price of the current product. But any significant improvement in performance will start to take the MDSM into the territory occupied by Selekt. Assuming that Select remains in the catalogue, product differentiation will need to be maintained. While CJ's idea of a non-modular Selekt makes some sense, I would expect to see the more basic Majik styling at the lower price point, particularly as there is also sense in maintaining visual continuity with other Majik products (and in saving some production cost as well).

Within the case, I think that there will be new board designs, making use of the (relatively) new board production machinery and the smaller components it uses, and creating new opportunities for improving the board layout. It also seems likely that the amplification will follow the example of Selekt and make the transition from Chakra to Class D. I'm less sure about what, if anything, Linn might do to change the peripheral boards (HDMI and phono/analogue input). The redesign of the main board might free up some space for the phono stage to move on board, which would be interesting.

As I said in my previous post, it is also interesting to consider whether the new MDSM will be fitted with Katalyst. I doubt that it will be, but, if it is, it would surely then be necessary to make Selekt a Katalyst-only device, which would create a product differentiation issue. Katalyst at Majik level would also be a signal that Linn is starting to think about some form of Katalyst Plus at the Klimax and possibly Akurate levels.

Are there any other thoughts about what will be in the new MDSM design?

David

If I were to wildly speculate on the new product, I would say that it would probably be a product that could possible have voice commands, and integrate with internet radio, and streaming services such as Tidal and Qobuz. 

It may borrow some of Selekt design cues and offer at least 6 preset buttons on the top of the cabinet, so you can assign a channel to each preset. (Polka, Modern Polka, Romanian Folk Songs, Traditional Mongolian Love Songs, Metal Shread Rock, Hip Hop, Rap, R&B among others.)

I see Linn moving to a new more modern cabinet design that would appeal more to the lifestyle crowd and incorporate Class D amplification.

Perhaps the return of the headphone jack on the front, or a USB C connection or lightning jack, as the younger crowd would love to have a place to plug in their smart phones to stream music from their device, or recharge their phones. I can also see better Bluetooth integration from smart phones to wirelessly stream music from the smart phone And the Majik DSM controlled by the smart phone..

It would also have a phono preamp built in, to plug in a turntable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

Perhaps it will be Selekt in format but with a less expensive box?

Addition of the ability to support the Surround processing board?

USB and Bluetooth inputs?

Headphone support?

Selekt amp technology and perhaps the "basic" level Selekt DAC?

The above being Kartridges so the mix is like mixing in Selekt.

I can imagine the investment in Selekt being better justified if the Kartridges can be used in multiple products, including a more prosaic Majik level box, albeit in a "new look" for Majik.

Or not.

• Like 1

Interesting speculations gents.

Without wanting to change the topic at hand, if you're able to respond in fluent muppetry please, what are the differences in Chakra and Class D amplification?

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike

If August is an announcement, maybe they'll do a summer promotion for other stuff too?

The Karousel promotion was effectively a promotion on all Linn kit if you spend over £3000. If you didn't have a Karousel then go for the promotion and sell the Karousel kit on the Bay for £500. So £500 off a £3000 spend.

Don't see any more promos coming and the factory is flat out with the staff they have at the moment. Most new kit is on 4-6 weeks delivery.

CJ

1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

please, what are the differences in Chakra and Class D amplification?

I don't want to wander off topic, but they are different types of amplifier circuit design used in Linn products.

Chakra (which is Linn's own brand name) is the amplifier technology used since the early 2000s in all the main Linn power amplifiers except the Solos. Google on "Linn Chakra White Paper" to get the details, but the idea is that, if only a low current signal is required, this is handled by a very accurate Integrated Circuit chip;, while higher current demands are met by 'handing over' the signal demand to MOSFET devices.

There is a standard classification of amplifier circuit topologies (by no means all of which are applicable to Hi-Fi use). Details can, again be found by Googling. Class D is a topology in which the amplification is achieved by a fast switching process, just as an SMPS power supply like Dynamik also works by fast switching (though it is important not to take the analogy too far). It has the advantage of being much more efficient than conventional linear designs (including Chakra), but has bot until recently been considered accurate enough for Hi-Fi use. However, there are now a number of respected Class D Hi-Fi power amplifiers on the market. Linn has had its eye on the Class D technology for many years, and has incorporated Class D power amplification in the Selekt DSM and the Series 3 speakers. It is a reasonable, but not a certain, bet that Class D will eventually replace Chakra across the whole of the Linn amplifier lineup.

David