Super Wammer

17B4877E-E460-4DC9-9A99-E72E6AC9A131.thumb.png.799a41b5c11def5110dd97c4dab46cfa.png

Katalyst?

Tried to join the webinar, but the streaming quality was unwatchable.

Linn: The DAC in MAjik DSM is not Katalyst, but it is very close in performance. We can't sit our full flagship feature set inside Majik DSM, however the DAC is very close to Katalyse.

Posted (edited)

Summary:

Majik DSM is:

Selekt DSM with fixed internals

Katalyst Lite

MM only

New power amp that might ot might not be same as modular power amp of Selekt

Priced at £2950

£500 more expensive than old Majik DSM

HDMI inputs and one output with HDMI ARC

No big volume knob of Selekt DSM

I am not going to say I told you so. Just not going to say that. No siree!

CJ

Edited by CJ1045
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

No audio via Zoom; I switched to Facebook.

Interesting webinar but I hoped to listen to the new Majik DSM.

M.

1 minute ago, CJ1045 said:

Summary:

Majik DSM is:

Selekt DSM with fixed internals

Katalyst Lite

MM only

New power amp that might ot might not be same as modular power amp of Selekt

£500 more expensive than old Majik DSM

HDMI inputs and one output with HDMI ARC

No big volume knob of Selekt DSM

I am not going to say I told you so. Just not going to say that. No siree!

CJ

No Exakt input/output

New headphone amplifier

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

Katalyst?

Tried to join the webinar, but the streaming quality was unwatchable.

It worked fine for me, but I bet they wished it hadn’t picked up hum throughout!

Oh yes, I had not spotted that, no EXAKT, looks like it is a bit of a dead end product then. That is, if you want to upgrade you are going to have to sell it and buy a Akurate System Hub. It also means no Exaktbox-i in the new style case.

CJ

The Majik DSM (2 and 3 variants) have Exakt output and at £500 less take some beating.

Posted (edited)

Leaving aside the glitch that "lost" the first 13 minutes on Zoom (but not, I understand on Facebook and Twitter), an informative presentation. The suitably lengthy and detailed discussion of the connectivity was, I thought, very helpful.

It was glossed over, but I sounds as though they are fitting the same AKM DAC and the same processor as are in the non-Katalyst Selekt. There is no modularity (something of a surprise to me), but more connectivity than I feared there would be. A nice new design headphone output with a quarter inch jack is a pleasant surprise.

The launch price of a little under £3K is, IIRC, the same as the old MDSM price before it was reduced a while back, and within the price range of the target market segmentt. The Naim NDX2, for example, is a bit cheaper, but doesn't have HDMI connectivity, built in amplification or a headphone output. So my first thought is that the new MDSM looks fairly competitive on price, has a decent feature set for the money, and, if the sound quality is up to Linn standards, can easily be the long term core of many people's Hi-Fi systems. I can see it with a pair of M109s being a natural replacement for my Kiko.

17 minutes ago, CJ1045 said:

no EXAKT, looks like it is a bit of a dead end product then. That is, if you want to upgrade you are going to have to sell it and buy a Akurate System Hub. It also means no Exaktbox-i in the new style case.

It could just be a (IMO sensible) recognition that Exakt will never be inexpensive enough to be part of the Majik range. The MM input can be reconfigured as a line level input, allowing the use of an external phono stage. It will be interesting to see whether these analogue inputs still digitise to only 96K, as they do on the old MDSM. As regards cases, might it be possible to put some sort of Exaktbox- I in a Selekt style case?

David

Edited by DavidHB

No Exakt, but I've never heard of anyone using the Exakt links on the old Majik DSM. It made more sense to sell and get an Akurate System Hub.

3 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

No Exakt, but I've never heard of anyone using the Exakt links on the old Majik DSM. It made more sense to sell and get an Akurate System Hub.

No Exakt? Seems a strange move for Linn...

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

The Majik DSM (2 and 3 variants) have Exakt output and at £500 less take some beating.

Yes, the old MDSM has been a good value option for some time now. I reckon that ex-demo models will be a snip for the right buyer. But they won't have Bluetooth and USB inputs or the more capable AKM DAC and the newer processor, and I'm not sure that the old MDSM has HDMI ARC (I'm open to correction on that). Those are features that, I believe, a number of buyers in the target market will be wanting.

I hope that the new MDSM does well. Anything that allows Linn to finance more R&D is good news to my mind. Who knows, maybe they will be able to buy more of the software development and support effort they seem to be so short of ...

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Upvote 3