No Exakt is a deal-breaker for me.

My plan was to replace my Majik DS/Kontrol combo with this as a first step (enabling me to connect HDMI devices) and then a couple of years down the line add an ExaktBox.

It's another £1,000 for the entry-level Selekt, which I could live with, but I really don't like the aesthetics of the Selekt unit - the new Majik DSM is much nicer for not having that naff volume knob and artsy middle pillar.

I missed the whole event, but very glad to have the summary from all the folks who contributed to this thread.

I hope this becomes a big seller for Linn, and as DavidHB says, provide the financial results needed to keep Linn profitable, creating new products for all of us

After a quick look this looks like a solid but non revolutionary product. Just nice to see “new anything” from Linn.

But I prefer the looks of the old MDSM cases. The Selekt style is just not my cup of tea...

25 minutes ago, CJ1045 said:

Oh yes, I had not spotted that, no EXAKT, looks like it is a bit of a dead end product then. That is, if you want to upgrade you are going to have to sell it and buy a Akurate System Hub. It also means no Exaktbox-i in the new style case.

CJ

Yes.  I guess that also explains the shift from Majik to Akurate classification for the Exaktbox-i.  It would now seem that Majik level is indeed seen by Linn as a dead end, at least where streaming is concerned.   No EXAKT, no Katalyst, and no MC compatibility either.  Could these be u-turns by a company we know and (sometimes) love for its single minded, forward thinking approach?

Loved the teal plinth on the LP12 mind, and those teal 109s!

It not having Exakt was enough of a surprise, but from the comments on FB, it doesn't support Aktiv cards either, so that's another upgrade path you're missing out on.

Just throwing this out there as a thought (NOT fact) - end of line for Akurate and replaced by Selekt.

CJ

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Fitter Stoke said:

No EXAKT

I think akamatsu was right to point out that the MDSM is not much used as an Exakt platform. And, I'd argue not a very suitable one either, except as a transitional device (I take CheckedShirtMatt's point on that).

no Katalyst

Linn has been signalling for some time that Katalyst will not be part of the Majik range. But quite a bit of the Katalyst technology is finding its way into the new MDSM by the back door, so to speak.

no MC compatibility

The MDSM has never had built in MC compatibility.

Could these be u-turns by a company we know and (sometimes) love for its single minded, forward thinking approach?

No, they are entirely (almost boringly) consistent with what Linn has been doing and indication for the last couple of years or so.

27 minutes ago, CheckedShirtMatt said:

from the comments on FB, it doesn't support Aktiv cards either, so that's another upgrade path you're missing out on

There was a revealing comment during the Q&A session. When asked about speaker compatibility, Gordon responded that the new MDSM is "compatible with almost all passive speakers". Linn must have concluded that the target market is not interested in Aktivating speakers. Or perhaps that developing Aktiv cards for the Class D amplifier is not worth the development effort. I think that the latter is almost certainly true, sadly.

David

Edited by DavidHB

Posted (edited)

Having thought about it, the new MDSM is more of an updated Classik than anything else.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing; I had a Classik-K As part of my system for 13 years.

Edited by CheckedShirtMatt
Typo

I would say that the MDSM has always been more of an updated Classik than anything else.

57 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Very positive words from the  best HiFi journalist of the moment in my view.

CJ

Posted (edited)

Could the fact my MDSM has Exakt connected to my Exaktbox-i be the reason I'm hating my 212's today? Was it sad at being so disrespected? It is majik after all!

If someone finds the YouTube link for the now hopefully archived full presentation I'd be forever grateful.

And yes, look at all the space on the back. They are just shooting themselves in the kilt not putting Exakt outs on it. SHAME!

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Could the fact my MDSM has Exakt connected to my Exaktbox-i be the reason I'm hating my 212's today? Was it sad at being so disrespected? It is majik after all!

If someone finds the YouTube link for the now hopefully archived full presentation I'd be forever grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5k_NNH96vk

• Upvote 1

Fewer inputs night well blow it for me - down from three each of  coax/ optical/ analogue to one of each :( 

1 minute ago, brantome said:

Fewer inputs night well blow it for me - down from three each of  coax/ optical/ analogue to one of each :( 

What would you want to connect?