11 hours ago, rduras said:

I was pretty much unsatisfied with system until changed MDSM for AEDSM as exakt input.

And still consider this as most significant upgrade in my system. 

So maybe better not to have exakt in MDSM if it is not properly done and does not bring as much as it promises.

I hate you!!!

Also, is there any mention of Google casting to this device? I'm going to watch CJ's linked video now, but that is a useful feature.

• Upvote 1

As an aside, I was intrigued to see the price being shown in the webinar. As I recall, in the past, any questions to Linn regarding prices of items were usually met with “speak with your dealer”.

Mick

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MickC said:

As an aside, I was intrigued to see the price being shown in the webinar. As I recall, in the past, any questions to Linn regarding prices of items were usually met with “speak with your dealer”.

That was presumably because different pricing regimes operate in different countries. What they did in the webinar (sensibly, I think, given that demand for the MDSM will be quite price sensitive) was to quote the UK RRP and recommend that customers in other countries should contact their dealer.

David

Edited by DavidHB

4 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

is there any mention of Google casting to this device?

Ignorant questions. Is Google casting the same as Chromecast, which needs to be attached to a device with full video capabilities? What would be the use case for Google casting from a DSM?

David

4 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I hate you!!!

Also, is there any mention of Google casting to this device? I'm going to watch CJ's linked video now, but that is a useful feature.

Yes, I know :) but this is my experience with this. 
Maybe others who also did this change can contribute and give their opinion to level things a little but I would be surprised if general opinion differs much.
For me, AEDSM is an excellent maybe even mandatory product for exakt systems especially regarding relatively low price comparing to other Linn Akurate products and similar to MDSM. So if someone already have MDSM in exakt system it is not a big additional spend to go for AEDSM and if do not like it go back to MDSM.

44 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

That was presumably because different pricing regimes operate in different countries. What they did in the webinar (sensibly, I think, given that demand for the MDSM will be quite price sensitive) was to quote the UK RRP and recommend that customers in other countries should contact their dealer.

David

This is true. However, in the past even the UK price would have been something for your dealer to tell you, rather than Linn. Currency fluctuations would understandably be behind prices in other countries being a matter for local dealers. 

Mick

19 minutes ago, MickC said:

However, in the past even the UK price would have been something for your dealer to tell you, rather than Linn.

Indeed. Much better to quote at least the UK RRP, in my view.

David

Super Wammer
38 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Indeed. Much better to quote at least the UK RRP, in my view.

David

I agree, David, it was refreshing and helpful.  Recommended prices are still a dodgy legal area though, and I’m sure Linn are as strong as any Hi-Fi supplier in trying to maintain (fixed) selling prices, alongside their good practice of requiring dealers to install their products.  The latter surely makes for better long term customer satisfaction and loyalty. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/resale-price-maintenance-advice-for-retailers/resale-price-maintenance-advice-for-retailers

13 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I agree, David, it was refreshing and helpful.  Recommended prices are still a dodgy legal area though, and I’m sure Linn are as strong as any Hi-Fi supplier in trying to maintain (fixed) selling prices, alongside their good practice of requiring dealers to install their products.  The latter surely makes for better long term customer satisfaction and loyalty. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/resale-price-maintenance-advice-for-retailers/resale-price-maintenance-advice-for-retailers

Instal?  Not in my not inconsiderable experience in buying 4 DSMs, 1 pre-amp, 3 power amps & 1 pair of speakers (majority of those brand new at full RRP,  just a couple ex-dem) and DSM upgrades from local dealers in the last 12 years (other than for one sizeable LP12 upgrade).  They take the money and run for the hills.....>:(

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Paul_N said:

Instal?  Not in my not inconsiderable experience in buying 4 DSMs, 1 pre-amp, 3 power amps & 1 pair of speakers (majority of those brand new at full RRP,  just a couple ex-dem) and DSM upgrades from local dealers in the last 12 years (other than for one sizeable LP12 upgrade).  They take the money and run for the hills.....>:(

Well, that’s naughty, although I’ve no problem if the terms are favourable - such as my less than half price ex-dem ADSM.  

Perhaps your skills and prowess meant your dealer thought it unnecessary!

3 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Well, that’s naughty, although I’ve no problem if the terms are favourable - such as my less than half price ex-dem ADSM.  

Perhaps your skills and prowess meant your dealer thought it unnecessary!

To be fair I had 30 mins of good remote phone/dial-in support re network issues when I was early on in streaming a decade ago from my main one but that's it.  A vague repeated "promise" to come out one day and help with SO once it was all run-in has never materialised and no follow up calls to check all was well. Only got 20% off for ex-dem.  Obviously my negotiating skills are abysmal in this area.

However like insurance companies I belatedly realise that HIFI dealer loyalty has got me nowhere but can see that shopping around does - I know which I will do in future.

36 minutes ago, Paul_N said:

However like insurance companies I belatedly realise that HIFI dealer loyalty has got me nowhere but can see that shopping around does - I know which I will do in future.

I stay with a dealer who (via the old Linn forum) did seek out my business (with an offer that was very relevant to my needs at the time) and has subsequently done everything he can to keep it. Given that I live on an island with expensive ferry costs, and that a visit to me takes my dealer out of the shop for a day, I don't think it is unreasonable for him to charge for installation visits. We negotiate the charge as a separate cost when I am planning a purchase. And he always seeks feedback on how the visit has gone.

I don't think that Linn require that installation costs are included in the price, but they do set dealer markups in their recommended prices which, in many cases, could reasonably include the cost of installation. I think that paying for visits separately helps to keep the dealer's attention and leaves room for discussion on the equipment prices, especially where second hand or ex demo items are part of the purchase, or there is any trade-in allowance.

David

• Like 1

I’m curious to hear this hybrid MM stage in the new MDSM.

M.

4 hours ago, Paul_N said:

To be fair I had 30 mins of good remote phone/dial-in support re network issues when I was early on in streaming a decade ago from my main one but that's it.  A vague repeated "promise" to come out one day and help with SO once it was all run-in has never materialised and no follow up calls to check all was well. Only got 20% off for ex-dem.  Obviously my negotiating skills are abysmal in this area.

+1 for insurance companies ( or is the minus 1?)

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I’m curious to hear this hybrid MM stage in the new MDSM.

M.

Do you know what that means? Is it an AD stage so that SO can apply to the turntable too?