Just been looking at Bodgit's thread from earlier.  Tempting.  It doesn't look as if those plugs need soldering.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don Ruperto said:

Local is handy, but I must admit looking at his listings, everything is Van Damme.  I might want some better plugs, shrinks etc if you get my drift.   

I'm about 4 miles from the fellow.  Things are getting out of hand - the whole area is infested with hifi nuts!!  

They do other cables also such as Klotz and Sommer. You can supply the plugs you want? 

No harm in making enquiries and getting a quote. 

There will be places to get it done, it is just the cost.

21 minutes ago, Don Ruperto said:

I haven't bought them yet.  Seriously, I've got my eye on some cables I want but I'm trying to make sure I can get them terminated properly before  I fork out. 

That's why I haven't said what they are - I don't want to draw attention to them.  xD

Fair enough. 

(I'm on the Rayleigh / Southend border, always done my own cables).

Maybe post a photo if you buy.

Super Wammer

Just buy some Nakamichi banana plugs, no soldering required. Just two screws per plug, for a good termination.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Just buy some Nakamichi banana plugs, no soldering required. Just two screws per plug, for a good termination.

Be careful though - the Nakamichi ones I have seen have metal covers - touch them and its curtains.  Better to use these ones 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pcs-24K-Gold-Plated-BFA-Z-4mm-Banana-Plugs-Dual-Screws-Speaker-Cable-Connectors/283945263076?hash=item421c74dfe4:g:uIIAAOSwo4pYGWoh   these you can bend out or in to get them nice and tight 

or these ones with the "sprung" 4mm banana connecter  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8pcs-Free-Solder-High-quality-4mm-banana-plug-male-24K-Gold-Audio-Connector/283944545349?hash=item421c69ec45:g:iiQAAOxykVNRtV-v

These will provide the security of plastic covering so less or no chance of shorting them out 

Super Wammer

If you are ham fisted, then get Uzzys suggestion :D

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Be careful though - the Nakamichi ones I have seen have metal covers - touch them and its curtains.  Better to use these ones 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pcs-24K-Gold-Plated-BFA-Z-4mm-Banana-Plugs-Dual-Screws-Speaker-Cable-Connectors/283945263076?hash=item421c74dfe4:g:uIIAAOSwo4pYGWoh   these you can bend out or in to get them nice and tight 

or these ones with the "sprung" 4mm banana connecter  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8pcs-Free-Solder-High-quality-4mm-banana-plug-male-24K-Gold-Audio-Connector/283944545349?hash=item421c69ec45:g:iiQAAOxykVNRtV-v

These will provide the security of plastic covering so less or no chance of shorting them out 

My Chord jumper leads look just like those but have shrinks instead.... made up for me by somebody on eBay.   See below.  (I've changed the config since I took this photo)

1  2020_0125Camera2July080013 (3000 x 2250).jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer
39 minutes ago, Don Ruperto said:

My Chord jumper leads look just like those but have shrinks instead.... made up for me by somebody on eBay.   See below.  (I've changed the config since I took this photo)

The advantage of shrink wrap is the plug is then much narrower so for some speakers if the terminals are close it makes it much easier and neater .. 

2 hours ago, Don Ruperto said:

Just been looking at Bodgit's thread from earlier.  Tempting.  It doesn't look as if those plugs need soldering.   

They don't! Thinking back it was desoldering the cables from the old plugs that was most difficult. The new ones screwed on.

Super Wammer

Would certainly say when you can it is worth getting a few bits of old cables and try soldering those z type plugs with heat shrink as it is quite satisfying when you make up a set that looks nice as well .

If this still feels a bit much then these would be fine to use and give a nice solid contact , plus with those plastic bodies they would ensure that any accidental contact is not going to short out your amplifier .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/electrosmart-Premium-Quality-Contacts-Amplifier-black/dp/B00HAKZDI2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+bodied+banana+plugs&qid=1595594460&sr=8-2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Or even heat shrink! I think shrink wrap might be a bit flimsy.

aye sorry i got my terminology wrong  but ya knew what I meant lol  Heat shrink wrap ...

Edited by uzzy

On 23/07/2020 at 12:08, Bodgit said:

Am I missing something here, what about buying some banana plugs (or whatever your choice of connectors) and soldering them yourself?

Personally I wouldn’t solder the plugs, use something like Z- plugs with grub screws.

Gary