plasticpenguin

Is it real or placebo?

1 minute ago, George 47 said:

There is a series of articles in Hifi Critic that looked at audible difference between supposedly bit perfect files. It was written by a series of University academics and very interesting it was too. As it is copyright I will leave it at tha

Is it possible to purchase back issues or the papers?  I would be very interested in reading that as I am never so bold as to dismiss ideas out of hand, assuming they look to be properly researched etc, which this sounds like it is.  I have a friend who, whilst not in to audio really, has probably forgotten more than most people know on the subject and he would be very interested in it to.   

And in all of this, we come to the crux of what anyone who deals with measurements of anything will be well aware of. Measurements only measure specific things and measure them within the inherent accuracy of the method of measuring.

There is nothing wrong with measurements. They are often crucial and they can provide a great deal of information about something. However, to rely solely on measurements is ironically a very unscientific approach. Many if not most major advances in science have started off from an observation, and not infrequently an observation that does not fit with the measured 'facts'. Anyone with a scientific background would not dismiss such an observation, but would test it, and then look for difficiencies in the measurements. The 'objectivist' approach of assuming the observation is flawed is actually not at all objective; it is just closed minded.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

... "damn, my Petri dish has unexpected culture patterns growing on it.  In the bin with it and I'll start over again"  ... said the guy who failed to discover penicillin before Fleming. ;-)

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

A lot of dealers and manufacturers propagate FUD, ( fear ,uncertainty , doubt) thankfully many now because of sites such as ASR can see the measurements for themselves and are no longer fooled by unsubstantiated nonsense.

’ The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.‘

Keith

I’m not sure about fear, but uncertainty and doubt is something you propagate about many fine sounding brands which, curiously, you don’t sell. 

• Upvote 2

Super Dealer

If the products are exceptional I would be selling them.

Keith

• Haha 1

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, George 47 said:

And if all you want is measurements then great. But if you want music then maybe these measurements do not represent music but they are something easy to measure. And normally measurements are reproducible by using calibrated equipment which ASR does not. JA and Noel Keywood (and the Canadian labs used by Soundstage)  use calibrated equipment (and Paul Miller does(?) but I do not know) and their measurements seem to be consistent. ASR is on its own and you support them???

George I am sure you are a lovely chap but.. you have drunk the ‘kool-aid’, manufacturers spot an oppurtunity and make a product, there is nothing wrong in that we live in a capitalist society after all, but huge cost does not equate to better sound quality, you can see this clearly if you look at Amir’s measurements.

btw Amir uses a top of the line Audio Precision analyser and a $100,000 dollar Klippel NFS.

Keith

Super Dealer
5 minutes ago, StingRay said:

You have a very limited range.

No point in stocking the second rate.

Keith

3 hours ago, Colinjg said:

Oh Dear.

Because crap speakers with a £3k source are going to sound great right. Can you send me some of that crack you are smoking because it seems stronger than my local. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, StingRay said:

You have a very limited range.

Presumably, limited to the ones he thinks are worth listening to.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Presumably, limited to the ones he thinks are worth listening to.

Does he listen or just measure?:sofa:

Edited by Iceman 16

7 minutes ago, kernow said:

Because crap speakers with a £3k source are going to sound great right. Can you send me some of that crack you are smoking because it seems stronger than my local. 

True. But then £3k speakers with a crap source aren't going to be a joyous delight either. It all matters basically; as you well know.

• Upvote 2

Super Dealer

If you are referring to Intona USB isolators they really work, but properly engineered equipment doesn’t need them.

Keith

1 minute ago, rabski said:

True. But then £3k speakers with a crap source aren't going to be a joyous delight either. It all matters basically; as you well know.

Indeed so. The idea that it somehow makes a difference at what point in the chain the signal gets messed up is nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1