Linn LP12 and Kuzma 4 Point 9 arm

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SUPATRAC said:

It's for listening to, not for looking at! I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate that how it looks is not to everyone's taste. There are a few very beautiful tonearms out there, but looks were not high on my list of design priorities. The look arises from a purely functional and practical approach to trying to build the best-sounding arm that I could. Comparing the price to the Ekos SE, the Blackbird leaves you with £2800 to buy a nice distracting painting ;-)

Cheers!

Richard

P.S.:

Horo-Opener.jpg

Richard, thanks for the reply. I would agree 100% that looks were clearly not high in your list of design priorities 🧐

I would also agree that sound quality should be the primary factor, as such, I am looking forward to hearing your arm. Hopefully on a LP12.

Edited by Daveyf

5 hours ago, Daveyf said:

Richard, thanks for the reply. I would agree 100% that looks were clearly not high in your list of design priorities 🧐

I would also agree that sound quality should be the primary factor, as such, I am looking forward to hearing your arm. Hopefully on a LP12.

Industrial design and aesthetics can be a very close second. Something that may sound wonderful but looks like a BBQ grill scraper will be challenge for many people to own.   Some of us are creative types and very much of enjoy a feast for multiple senses.  I think there a very few major well loved audio pieces that look like total crap.  99% of manufacturers put A LOT of effort into the look and feel of their pieces. 

Edited by mskaye

Hi,

Yesterday I installed a 9 inch Kuzma 4-Point tonearm in an unsuspended turntable (Dr. Feickert Woodpecker). One thing I noticed is that the arm cable (a very stiff one) exits from the rear of the arm collar above the armboard surface, which in the case of a Linn LP12 will detrimentally affect suspension bounce. IMHO this arm will only properly work on unsuspended turntables.

Here is a pic I took:

IMG_4590-2.jpg?resize=768,576&ssl=1

Edited by vicdiaz

That looks like an interesting combo, what does it sound like? I would agree that the tonearm cable could be a problem for the Linn suspension, but I would think there could be a work around that.

10 hours ago, Daveyf said:

This said, although I hope to own a 4point 9 one day because I think it is a work of Kuzma's genius, I still think it looks less elegant than the Blackbird. Here's a prototype on my old Sondek. Ugly to some perhaps, but streamlined, purposeful and 1970s futuristic to my eye! ;-)

onsondek.jpg

14 hours ago, Daveyf said:

That looks like an interesting combo, what does it sound like?

Sounds interesting but not my cup of tea. Customer system is tube-based and I'm not fond of tube-based gear.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Supatrac arm has my curiosity. I have heard some good things about it, and the designer of my cartridge seems to believe that it could be a major step up for an arm for the LP12. Has anyone heard this combo yet? If so, thoughts..

First review here....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

First review here....

That seems to be the one and only review so far...anybody else have a chance to actually hear the combo?

On 28/06/2021 at 00:00, Daveyf said:

I would agree 100% that looks were clearly not high in your list of design priorities 🧐

My ugly duckling doesn't look too shabby on my LP12 though.

onsondek2.thumb.jpg.c974955d448a7c75dd3e41451cd82e7a.jpg

onsondek4.thumb.jpg.7570c571df3400b9c5c54fb130a697d3.jpg

onsondek3.thumb.jpg.e5b0d45358660f018b02e882ce3921cb.jpg

Edited by SUPATRAC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Daveyf said:

That seems to be the one and only review so far...anybody else have a chance to actually hear the combo?

I delivered an arm to a customer this weekend. However, he does not plan to fettle his Sondek until August. I hope to send out more arms to customers this week, so I expect you will see a few more customer reports in the forums in the next week or two. My first priority is to fulfil orders to those who have committed and paid. Once I'm up to date with production/delivery I'll think more about hifi media reviews and loaning arms to the interested. I hope you agree that this is fair.

• Upvote 1

The photos you just posted look a lot better. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it's within forum rules for me to give direct answers to these questions. Yes, there will be a drop-in Rega version. The design is nearly finished. It will have VTA adjustment in the same manner as a Linn arm. Blackbird is available in any length, within reason.

Edited by SUPATRAC
  • Like 1