Tonearms ,tell us your story

Huntergatherer

Hi Guys, very synergy dependant, but wondered about your Tonearm thoughts as I seem to have found a new audiophile dilemma to consider

Super Wammer

I think you need to be a bit more specific?

Super Wammer
41 minutes ago, Huntergatherer said:

Hi Guys, very synergy dependant, but wondered about your Tonearm thoughts as I seem to have found a new audiophile dilemma to consider

If this relate to your original Hadcock/Decca theme and looking for an arm for the Decca then I would say try a Mission 774. If you want to get hold of one in good condition and fairly easily/quickly I would PM Speedracer as I believe he's looking to move his one on. 

what do you wanna know?

Tonearms - all I know is I use a Decca so my search was for an arm it would work in well that the missus could also use easily.  The best I ever heard one sounding was in a Mayware Formula 4 damped unipivot but that and the wife would not mix so I experimented with different arms with fluid damping to find one that gave a great performance with no chance the missus would pull the arm off the turntable.

The thing about a tonearm is - it needs to be matched to your cartridge.  Some are more versatile than others and Mr Townsend very cleverly came up with his damping trough at the business end which meant a lot of cheap arms could give a stonking performance on a Rock turntable.

The ideal is to take the requirements of your cartridge and find and arm that matches those requirements for mass etc and then to narrow the choice down to the one you like the sound of best when using your favoured cartridge. 

If you are a moving coil fan then bypass all of this and just buy yourself an Audio Origami PU7 .. there may be an arm or two out there that can eek out a bit more but when you feed back into the equation a service second to none from Johny and a universally accepted "in the best of the bunch" for me it is a no brainer.

I have a fundamental problem with this. I wouldn't go out and buy an arm,  certainly not a new arm, based on anybody's recommendation, so why would anyone be interested in mine? If it were possible to readily audition whatever anyone suggested, as it was in the good old days it would be different.

I don't know that cartridge but the London is demanding of an arm. I still treat my record player like its just how i play my music. I'm not into the idea of multiple systems.

But if I were, I'd have a decca London in an F5. I can still in my hear that combination playing dave Brubeck take 5. I could never have the London as my only cartridge, and i am not going to have 2 systems

But if i did it would use a Decca

Super Wammer

I’m shortly to go into the unknown regarding arm and cartridges as I will soon  be setting  up a Basis Signature with the vector 4 arm ..

I know my Sondek and Ittok so well after all these years  . The term hand in a glove describes the combination so well .
It will be an interesting journey..

kindest regards Julian