wuzznbuddy

WTD - valve amp - now sorted

Thanks. I've not used this site in ages as I didn't bother with hifi for a few years, and hadn't noticed the megastore bit. I don't think the Diavolo will be enough with one 300B a channel. I've had a pair of the big Canary monos before and didn't really get on with them. 

Posted (edited)

Perhaps you should talk to Simon Robinson who makes Transcription Audio amps - including a 211 amp - incredibly well built in Britain and highly spec'd.

https://transcriptionaudio.co.uk/

Edited by volante
typo

change your speakers not the amp, P3esr are great as headphones but you're missing all the greatness that 300b have to offer, valves need big high efficiency drivers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

See if you can get on the list for a Radford Revival STA25. I had an original 60s Radford with my P3ESR and it was great.

Super Wammer

If this is the same wuzznbuddy  from few years back whom I bought a pair omega speakers from, then he’s the man who’s had plenty of exotic valve amps in the past including the beautiful airtight 300b that I saw and heard.  I think he knows his valves but just checking what’s out there secondhand 😀

Not sure how that is relevant, 300b with p3esr is not a good match.

Depends on experience of what specific amps, of course.

At 83dB, a parallel single-ended 845 or 211 should be OK, but not single. You won't get more than 10-15 watts without the distortion rising exponentially and that's not enough. Parallel 300B would be marginal. Either way, none of those at a suitable quality are likely to be within budget, as I'm sure the OP is aware.

Push-pull KT series is more reslistic, unless you like really low volumes or really high distortion.

I was considering this for my P3ESRs on looks alone.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Art-Audio-Quintet-Triode-Valve-Power-Amplifier/274350914561?hash=item3fe096bc01:g:uJQAAOSw5BVeqTSC

.....and it would save you £4k !

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry if my initial post was equivocal - SE 300B will certainly not be enough. But I'd try PSE and SE 845. 

I've got two thirds of a room 3m wide x 4.5m long, with a ceiling height of 1.8m(!) as my listening space. And there's a window the full length of one side of it. So the speaker world is not exactly my oyster. I've already had one failed experiment on that front so the P3ESR are definitely staying for now. I'm otherwise going to end up chasing my tail. I have owned the P3s before and used them very successfully with a NAF 845SE. They aren't very sensitive but they are a pretty easy load (https://www.stereophile.com/content/harbeth-p3esr-loudspeaker-measurements). 

As Leon mentions (Hi, Leon) I was just looking to see what is out there before I make a decision. I've now got a couple of things on my shortlist but nothing has been purchased just yet. 

Super Wammer

One amplifier I would reccomend for the Harbeths but you may well find it very diffcult to find one is the Croft OTL . This is a very special amplifer with the strange and dangerous side of being directly powered Valves . It should be powerful enough to make the Harbeths sing and I am sure if you spoke to Glenn he could give them a little tweak and get a little more power for those Disco nights .

• Like 1

My WAD PSE 300B have to go, I've sent you a Pm in case you might be interested

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk