Sign in to follow this  
Bobby blue

Any info on this early tannoy speaker would be helpful

Posted (edited)

Hello 

i have acquired this speaker and was wondering the age and any ideas were it may have come from and what it would cost to restore 
I can’t seem to download a picture my files 

are to big  it’s a round 24 inch speaker 

with tannoy across the front about 12 inch thick 

it looks 30s 

thanks bob

3A107F30-2F92-42B0-BAD2-3DDBAEA6602D.jpeg

Edited by rabski

I imagine it's an early speaker from the days when Tannoy made their name making just those - Tannoy speakers. I'm not sure it would be worth restoring from a Hifi perspective (but hope to be proved wrong); more of historical interest.

On 26/07/2020 at 16:39, Lawrence001 said:

I imagine it's an early speaker from the days when Tannoy made their name making just those - Tannoy speakers. I'm not sure it would be worth restoring from a Hifi perspective (but hope to be proved wrong); more of historical interest.

Yep, looks like its been outside in the rain(possibly acid rain) for about 80 years!

Would be nice decorative item cleaned up/sandblasted and got working. A new full range driver and Bluetooth t amp fitted would make a very nice Bluetooth speaker.

Some hipster might even pay a lot for it, although it would be better with a record player in a suitcase

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

Would be nice decorative item cleaned up/sandblasted and got working. A new full range driver and Bluetooth t amp fitted would make a very nice Bluetooth speaker.

Some hipster might even pay a lot for it, although it would be better with a record player in a suitcase emoji38.png

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Someone is asking £699 for a single non-working speaker on eBay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tannoy-Speaker-Uber-rare-large-ceiling-wall-TANNOY-hanging-speaker-RARE-/184397897574

3 hours ago, rdale said:

Looks like the same one to me.

Either way, IIRC we've already had a thread about this. Also, it doesn't belong in Spirit of the Wam.