Drop-out/stutter with analogue in on Davaar 77. Exakt only?

Solanum

I am using a KEDSM with a Urika II (no analogue devices connected) and Davaar 77 is working normally for me from both the NAS and the LP12. So whatever the problem is, it could well be system specific. With Clavius' symptoms at least, I'd do a Report to Linn from Kazoo, and follow that up with a call or email to Linn Support. I see that Solanum has already reported the issue on the Linn Development Forum, which is helpful.

David

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Highly possible. I skipped 76 and went from 75 to 77. I’ve gone back to 75.

No, I’m using a KEDSM.

That’s very interesting and would rule out my theory of it being related to the ADC. I noticed it immediately after updating to 77, so my playlist was empty anyway and I was having an afternoon playing LPs.

EDSM/System Hubs then?

Clavious' streaming could be a separate issue. My LP12 (and I *thought* I had heard it with streaming, but not sure - haven't used it in 76 much) doesn't stop, it fades out once or twice within a second or less.

Reverting back to 75 as we speak. Very annoyingly hit the wrong button and reset to factory - why no warning/check dialog? Just goes ahead and does it on a click Will have to reset up my Exaktbox now. At least SO2 should be saved in the Linn Account. Grr....

30 minutes ago, Solanum said:

EDSM/System Hubs then?

As I said, my KEDSM is fine. If affected parties can do a Report to Linn, they can analyse the problem. That has worked very well for me in the past.

In this case, I wouldn't rule out some sort of Exakt Link/Ethernet issue. A while back, I had a problem with a switch, but, because of the symptoms (which included stuttering), was absolutely sure that it was the result of an update. The Linn diagnosis pointed to a network issue. Unbelieving, I jury rigged a connection which bypassed the offending switch, and the problem went away.  The permanent fix was to replace the switch. I'm not saying that this is the issue in the present case, but it was a salutary reminder that the cause of a problem is often where you least expect it to be.

David

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

That’s very interesting and would rule out my theory of it being related to the ADC. I noticed it immediately after updating to 77, so my playlist was empty anyway and I was having an afternoon playing LPs.

Hi,

Since rebooting the ADC did not help, I have now rebooted my server (including roon) & lo and behold the system has now played six tracks in a row -  a new personal best!

I can report however that roon still takes precedence over the fascia controls thereby disabling source selection.

Selecting Phono on the ADC front panel controls will mute the sound from roon without enabling the phono input, so no sound.. This is a recurring fault that I have had for a year or so. 

I've got an ASH, running D77 for a couple of days, no issues so far. Mostly streaming TIDAL but also have analogue input driven by my iMac which worked fine for about an hour yesterday.

I will try the LP12 shortly and report back.

(edit) OK I've played 6 sides so far and no stutters. This is LP12 -> ASH MM board.

(edi2) Side 8 just stuttered...

Edited by neilj

On 28/07/2020 at 10:30, Clavius said:

I guess I'm just extremely grateful Linn are not operating in a more vital sector of society than hi-fi kit😳

It's up to us to buy as much Keels, and machined boxes to keep the hardware shop busy. As long as they don't have free machining capacity to build the hardware, they won't diversify into missiles, torpedoes, and other stuff with critical software. :shf:

As a matter of fact, the British submarine commander, who sunk the Admiral Belgrano during the Falkland War, used a WWll torpedo, not a smarter, more recent model. I'm not sure if/how he was affiliated to Greenock, and adjacent companies. :notworthy:Sorry for going OT.

• Like 2

On 27/07/2020 at 21:28, akamatsu said:

I'm running Davaar 77 and I have an Exakt system. No problems as of yet. I've spent four evenings with Davaar 77.

I updated to Davaar 77 on Monday and played a few records since. No problems so far. I use an Akurate Exaktbox6. If it was the ADC in my KRDSM I wouldn't notice, though. Urika ll is doing the job.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I’ve raised a couple of tickets against this issue.

’troll

I'll do the same at the weekend.

Looking at the replies so far it seems like it is the Akurate level ADC that is the common factor.

I’ve just had a request for more info from Linn - 

Could I ask you a couple of further things?:

• When playing audio on the analogue input do you notice any lack of responsiveness or laggy behaviour in control points or when controlling via the front panel using an IR remote that you don't experience on other sources?
  • Do you have Space Optimisation enabled? If you do, and you turn it off, does that improve the dropout situation when on the analogue source?

They can see the dropouts but not what might be causing them. If anyone reinstalls 77, could they comment on these two questions, please?

’troll

Hi All, 

I have the same issue with D77, I find the can download site, to revert to D75 to revert which file is right, I find many files listed. Im using Akurate DSM Katalyst. Thanks 

Edited by hkbma

10 minutes ago, hkbma said:

Hi All, 

I have the same issue with D77, where I can download D75 to revert. Thanks 

It's a little bit obscure. You need to go to Linn's AWS server space here: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/linn-artifacts-firmware/index.html

Then you need to download the appropriate firmware. Check this value in Konfig, for example, my AEDSM is 'fw901'. To get the right file, ensure 'Bucket' is selected on the top right of the AWS server page, the sort by date or object name as you prefer to find the right firmware version (e.g. 75).

To update (downgrade), your firmware, go to advanced in Konfig, select your downloaded file and hit update. Instructions here: https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Konfig_Manual#Updates

Watch you don't hit restore (I have done this) as it wipes the device without asking you first and you have to reconfigure it.

4 minutes ago, Solanum said:

It's a little bit obscure. You need to go to Linn's AWS server space here: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/linn-artifacts-firmware/index.html

Then you need to download the appropriate firmware. Check this value in Konfig, for example, my AEDSM is 'fw901'. To get the right file, ensure 'Bucket' is selected on the top right of the AWS server page, the sort by date or object name as you prefer to find the right firmware version (e.g. 75).

To update (downgrade), your firmware, go to advanced in Konfig, select your downloaded file and hit update. Instructions here: https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Konfig_Manual#Updates

Watch you don't hit restore (I have done this) as it wipes the device without asking you first and you have to reconfigure it.

Hi Solanum,

Thanks a lot. I want to revert Kazoo server to 4.10.10, where I can find it. After update the Kazoo server, the Kazoo APP Album view not show sorting by artist and not convenience 

28F6DB5F-1B39-46CC-9167-3E43736AA902.jpeg