Drop-out/stutter with analogue in on Davaar 77. Exakt only?

Solanum

13 hours ago, DavidHB said:

@Solanum

I agree with Moomin; it's a good bit of investigation.. Did you do a "Report to Linn" after Step 2?

Just one more thought, which you'll like, but not a lot :).  Have you tried Steps 1 and 2 while bypassing whichever switch the DSM is connected to? 

David

I haven't tried that yet because the DSM is connected into a Netgear range extender (with outgoing WiFi switched off so that it only has a wireless backbone back to a router) and I can't easily replace that. 

I was going to try doing it with the network cable disconnected, but forgot. I suspect that wouldn't do anything anyway as I think the network would need to be live. 

I could stick an old switch in there so there is an electrical connection even if no network. 

I've actually already ordered a new Orbi satellite to replace it in the vain hope it helps with these problems. 

For the problem we are seeing here with d77, I suspect that (as I think you suggested earlier) there is something funny going on with the networking and Exakt links internally. 

Even if new hardware helps, we are going to have to agree to disagree on the acceptability of Linn devices being so picky with their connected network devices though. If you have a device that's sells in the hundreds from a hifi company refusing to talk to multiple networking hardware devices that sell in the millions from the world's biggest network hardware companies that don't have problems with other connected equipment, the problem is Linn's in my book. Even more so when it is firmware specific! Sorry! 😬

@DavidHB or others, I'd be interested to know what happens if you unplug your network cable whilst using your lp12 (with urika ii) on d77. Drop out or no effect?

Edited by Solanum

OK, it's when the electrical connection is made through the ethernet cable.

On d77:

If you disconnect the far end of the ethernet cable, play through the analogue input and disconnect the cable from the back of the EDSM, no effect.

If you have everything connected and then play the analogue input and disconnect from the switch/router, you get stutter/drop-out on cable removal. Subsequent disconnection from the EDSM does nothing.

If you have the ethernet cable plugged in to the EDSM, but nothing at the other end and then plug in to any network device, you get stutter/drop-out. That device does not need to be connected to a network or even to have booted up, just have power. I've tried two routers, a range extender and powerline plugs.  Different manufacturers and with or without network connections.  Also immediately after plugging in power and still booting.  In all cases, when the ethernet cable is connected, stutter/drop-outs.

On d75:

Do whatever you like in terms of plugging ethernet in and out while playing. Has no effect.

Reported on Development Forum. Over to Linn.

I can confirm this. I’ve just repeated Solanum’s procedure and got the stuttering when disconnecting and reconnecting my DSM to the Ethernet network.

Using an Ubiquiti Airrouter with latest firmware, into a Netgear 108 switch.

’troll

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an email from Linn advising that Davaar beta 79 has been released, which they hope addresses this issue, and asks if I can test it and report back.

I probably won’t be able to do this until the weekend.

’troll

On 20/08/2020 at 22:07, Moomintroll said:

Just had an email from Linn advising that Davaar beta 79 has been released, which they hope addresses this issue, and asks if I can test it and report back.

I probably won’t be able to do this until the weekend.

’troll

I got the same, I've installed the 79 beta. The network cable pull dropout is gone and on listening to about five sides I haven't heard any drop-out/stutter. Fingers crossed it is fixed!

Phew, reading this thread is a relief... I thought my cart or something was dying!