Jewelers loupe

Hello

I just bought a 20x magnification loupe with a built in led.

I cleaned my stylus my usual way, with silly putty and a light brush, then took a look at it through the loupe. 

It was filthy!

I continued cleaning ot with the brush until I could see it was actually clean and the difference in SQ was huge!

£19 well spent I'd say... also looking at the grooves of an lp at 20x mag is rather interesting, even if it does illuminate all the filth hidden there too. 

• Like 3

Super Wammer

Can you post info on the one you bought? I have a 10x, but it sounds like 20x with light is the way to go. Now that I'm using a Kandid, I told myself I'm going to keep the stylus clean, in order to help prolong its life.

23 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Can you post info on the one you bought? I have a 10x, but it sounds like 20x with light is the way to go. Now that I'm using a Kandid, I told myself I'm going to keep the stylus clean, in order to help prolong its life.

Happy to.

I hope posting links to amazon is allowed here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Folding-Jewellers-Diamonds-Magnification/dp/B00MMYO3ZU/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=20x+led+loupe&qid=1595866859&sr=8-5

Its cheap and cheerful but the led really makes a difference 

• Like 1

Item can't be delivered to the US. Dang those Brits!

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Order placed. Thanks to all.

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, LinnJim said:

I hope you find it useful.

I'm sure the loupe will be useful. However, I tend to slip in and out of usefulness. I will just have to be diligent and use it regularly. I use an Onzow Zerodust on my stylus, along with green sandpaper. We'll see if the Onzow can outperform silly putty.

14 hours ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

Item can't be delivered to the US. Dang those Brits!

This might be down to the geographically fragmented US taxation laws, which appear to be even more complicated, than the German tax law. But I heard rumours that German administration experts consulted the young US on how to f**k this up, in the old days. So I'm not eligible to complain :D

Link to the German Amazon: https://smile.amazon.de/Jeweller-Magnifier-Magnifying-Glass-Light/dp/B00MMYO3ZU/

Please note: If you use the smile.amazon link Amazon donates part of their earnings on your purchase to a charity of your choice. Obviously, you need to assign the charity in your account.

15 hours ago, LinnJim said:

It shouldn't be hard. Silly putty was near enough useless, it didn't even remove the small hairs.

I won't be using it again, it doesn't seem worth the risk of it leaving a residue.

The only items my dealer recommends for boron (not tubular) cantilevered cartridges are green paper and Lyra SPT fluid, and he's been working on LP12's for eons.  He does not recommend various gels or putties, saying that in his experience, they cause more problems than they fix.  If it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me. 

A good loupe is very useful for accurate stylus maintenance.  (The green paper has sat in the sun for a while now, so it's white.)

Edited by Ian H
Clarifications & corrected typo

6 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I'm sure the loupe will be useful. However, I tend to slip in and out of usefulness. I will just have to be diligent and use it regularly. I use an Onzow Zerodust on my stylus, along with green sandpaper. We'll see if the Onzow can outperform silly putty.

I used Oznow for several years on my Krystal and my dealer found substantial build up, he switched me over to green paper , I guess using both intermittently could work to keep everything off the stylus  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian H said:

The only items my dealer recommends are green paper and Lyra SPT fluid, and he's been working on LP12's for eons. 

I wouldn't use Lyra SPT - it killed my Troika and is known to have been a factor in killing early Krystals

I use the green paper and one of these:

AT-637.jpg

Edited by DebsE
  • Like 1