Pedro2

Choosing how to listen

Just a thought for anyone with more than one way of listening to music at home (I.e more than one system). 

I often find myself listening (or half listening) to the relatively simple (cheap) system in the kitchen/diner rather than the main system in the living room.

The living room system almost demands my total attention and sometimes I don’t want this. The kitchen system is much more ‘take it or leave it’ and I can get on with other things ( cooking, reading, talking etc).

Can’t work out if this is down to the room or the sound system, or both but wondered how common this is. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have two systems in my living room, the 'A' system where I experiment with different components in my collection.  The 'B' system is just something cheap which never changes.  The 'A' system should always be the 'better' of the two systems regardless of what components are in it at any given time, but when I want to seriously listen to music, I often use the 'B' system. 

Why?  Well, it's good enough at moderate volume levels needed to fill my living room which has good acoustics.  I know how it sounds and so I never have to listen 'through' the stereo components.  Two or three button clicks are all that are needed to get a CD going.  I can just get straight to the music. 

With the 'A' system, I may have to take something out and put something else in depending on what I want to listen to and then I have to become adjusted to how the combination of components sound.  Plus, since it's the system that is supposed to sound good, sometimes it's harder for me to focus on the music since I'm thinking about some audio equipment related factors. 

Probably most people here don't have the issues I have, xD, but when I really want to listen to some music, I find that sometimes it's best to keep it simple and not to mix up hobbies.  ;)  I will say that I have some new speakers on the way which I hope will reduce some of the 'A' system shuffling.  That may happen, but it might make things worse so we'll have to see.  :/

1 hour ago, Pedro2 said:

Just a thought for anyone with more than one way of listening to music at home (I.e more than one system). 

I often find myself listening (or half listening) to the relatively simple (cheap) system in the kitchen/diner rather than the main system in the living room.

The living room system almost demands my total attention and sometimes I don’t want this. The kitchen system is much more ‘take it or leave it’ and I can get on with other things ( cooking, reading, talking etc).

Can’t work out if this is down to the room or the sound system, or both but wondered how common this is. 

Yes, I find the same ... although my main system is hardly Premier League, sometimes it's easier to have a background system (wireless speaker or radio) playing away  while you get on with daily life. The quality is still more than acceptable and multi-room capability means the music can follow you around the house if you so wish.

I think with a cheap system then you tend not to worry about deficiencies so much, with an expensive hifi you want everything to be right but it often is not, cheap system you can just listen to the music. I'm starting to consider getting a second system or getting a less revelling main system, I'm not that bothered about accurate, I'm looking for a warmer sound.

• Like 1

I can totally relate :D When my main system is playing it gets my attention all the time. When there are people over, I get extremely annoyed when they talk through the music. Just the same as when people talk through a movie.

No, when I put on some music for background purposes I use the JBL flip Bluetooth speaker :-) No hassle whatsoever.

• Like 1

If I am not listening on my main system I am rarely listening.  I do put the headphones on when winding down in bed from time to time and I do have music on occasionally whilst WFH but it isn't often.  Don't know why as both options are eminently doable; I just like to reserve music for when I am not doing anything else.  Even in the car I tend to have R4 burbling in the background rather than have music on.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

When I Iisten to my music it's in my music room & gets my full attention or it not turned8 on. For casual listening while occupied/ chatting I use a Bose blutooth speaker & my phone.

I am thinking of getting a Sonos Play3 speaker to use in other rooms via the Sonos connect in my music room👍

Edited by darthvadersdad

I use my main system in the evenings mainly, and my second system in the morning or afternoon plus late night listening when in bed, and tend to use it mainly for radio. Both systems are in the same room by the way but one is on the bedside!

Just a thought to add to my previous reply.  I generally don't listen to background music in the living room, but if I did, I'd almost certainly use my 'B' system with the class D amplifier over any of the amps I may be using in my 'A' system.  If nothing else, the class D amp consumes far less power than the other non-class D amps.  The amp in the 'B' system draws about 17 watts at a room filling volume.  It's been a while since I've measured my other amps (this sounds like a potential project for me ;)), but I seem to remember the big Kenwood drawing about 55-60 watts when I was simply using it as a phono pre-amp for another amp without any speakers turned on or even wired in on the Kenwood.  :o

Being a bit of a cheapskate, the lower power draw of the class D amplifier is also an advantage during serious listening.  xD  It's not just a preference out of cheapness though, the central A/C will cycle on less frequently with cooler running electronics in the room and the A/C cycling on and off is a mildly noisy distraction.  Perhaps in the winter, the opposite approach can be taken to keep the heater from becoming a distraction.  ;)

Posted (edited)

Choices, I have a shed system consisting of a squeezebox touch, MF A1 and Usher S-520 speakers, great for when pottering around in the shed (5m x 8m).

Dining room has another squeezebox (non touch) a Pass ACA 8watt class A amp into Kef Ref 104aB.

Computer room has a Topping D10 running off the PC into a DIY Noir headphone/Pre and DIY First Watt M2X 25 watt class A finally into a pair of 50 year old wharfedales.

Main system comprised a Townshend Elite Rock II, RB 250, VdH DDT-II into a vincent PHO-8 into a Copland CSA29 and DIY Lenehan LK1 standmounts.

It also has a Vincent CD-S4 and Yamaha WXC 50 streamer.

Lots of choice.

Edited by Batty
I can't spell

Super Wammer

In the conservatory I have a small system (Pioneer A400, Pioneer PDS505 precision and (unfortunately) a cheap old TIBO DAB tuner and a pair of Canon S35 loudspeakers - this is fine for background music when reading but I used to have Systym 931s (a very small two way that is a magical little speaker if you can find them second hand) on partington stands but her that must be obeyed wanted the stands gone,  So I bought the Canons to sit on the window sill an produce a half decent sound.

I hear the comments above about the main system demanding your attention .. to me it is music that usually demands my attention .. in the conservatory with the 931s I loved it - they demanded attention when a track came on that I loved on the radio - and always had my attention playing CDs .. now when a great track comes on - even if I am reading . the music demands my attention and then I swear at not being able to hear it better.

As to background music on the main system - i just turn the volume right down to a level where it does not demand attention .. keeps the missus happy doing the housework and when a good track comes on - scare everyone by wanging the volume up to dance levels :) 

Posted (edited)

Yes. I recently made some excellent speakers (dark nights, see diy section) I have at least 4 different setups in my office. I find I actually enjoy the dark nights a lot watching random you tube videos and the like, because they are so realistic. But their main impediment to casual listening is requiring to turn on 7 pieces of kit distributed around the room instead of 2 for pre and Meridian M2's (for example), if I want to put the radio on in the background. Also on my "lesser" setups I am still interested in what are their strengths and weaknesses, so it is good to have a bit of contrast without major upheaval. I am currently getting my head around a pair of original Kef Chorales....

Edited by dave

Music listening demands full attention. For that I have a hi-fi system.

For background companionship music I use the computer's in-built speakers when I am at the desk and I sometimes borrow my son's bluetooth mono portable speaker when I'm cooking.

I wish I liked headphones.

I have a Tivoli tabletop radio but it's currently at my parents' which played FM in the home office before I moved.

18 hours ago, darthvadersdad said:

I am thinking of getting a Sonos Play3 speaker to use in other rooms via the Sonos connect in my music room👍

I have a couple of Play1, a couple of Sonos One and a Play 3. Just buy a Play1 or Sonos One - honestly the Play3 isn’t a big improvement, I’m not sure it’s even an improvement to be honest. Actually I am, it’s not.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Thanks for your input Les I'll do that, Maybe I'll put a wanted add up 👍

• Like 1