lazycat

LAD Turntable fettle.

Posted (edited)

Hi

Just bought a LAD t/t for peanuts. I believe it must have been part of a console - it doesn't have a mains lead just a socket - see pics.

I'm assuming I use a 3 core mains cable and attach the earth to the plinth  see photos.

Is this correct?

lad2.jpg

lad 1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by lazycat

Too late.

The Monster!! It Lives!!

Happy boy. Now to fix the arm..

lad3.jpg

• Like 1

That's got some real coolness about it.

• Upvote 1

Is this cooler? lol

Arm fixed, headshell fitted and awaiting AT-VM95E and silicone oil.

lad4.jpg

• Like 1

Dayum, that really looks the dogs furry purse now, looking forward to some reviews next.:)

Just for you Stridor.

Quick and dirty set-up. Used a 'stupid protractor' from Vinyl Engine.

AT is knocking out tunes very well, as they do IMO.

How does it sound? Far, far better than it should. My Technics is looking at it with disdain. lol

I have to replace the RCA's on the back - no dedicated arm cable. Also, stupid here forgot to add a ground cable - it didn't have one and it does need it. No hum tho', just some crackling when I touch the headshell.

Not bad for £15 'faulty, not working'.

lad5.thumb.jpg.794ac71a273b8d33ed34f98739be562f.jpg

lad7.thumb.jpg.2e9eb825f302ff71814f3f550d070720.jpg

Nice work! These are damn good turntables and wipe the floor with a standard SL1200 in sonic terms.

But don't tell everyone or they'll all want one... ;-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beobloke said:

Nice work! These are damn good turntables and wipe the floor with a standard SL1200 in sonic terms.

But don't tell everyone or they'll all want one... ;-)

Thanks. Not quite finished - awaiting a mains gland before I complete the other fettles.

I've wanted to try one of these for years. None came up locally - I'm no driver - so I gave up. Just happened to look and there it was. Pint of vodka for mate etc.

I had to tighten the arm stub and armature holding the oil nub, but no real hassle. The arm passes the 'paper' test. It just needs less bias on the dial.

Played a few albums yesterday and no problems with tracking etc.

When I de-nude it later this week I'll post some more pics - there are none I could find online. The circuit boards look pristine TBH.

Due to the original mains query, I'm assuming it was part of a console. If you look at the original pics there is a DIN socket. This is attached to a 24v relay. When I plug it in the motor starts - there is no off/on switch. I am not touching this. lol I may enter a world of pain.

19 hours ago, lazycat said:

Thanks. Not quite finished - awaiting a mains gland before I complete the other fettles.

I've wanted to try one of these for years. None came up locally - I'm no driver - so I gave up. Just happened to look and there it was. Pint of vodka for mate etc.

I had to tighten the arm stub and armature holding the oil nub, but no real hassle. The arm passes the 'paper' test. It just needs less bias on the dial.

Played a few albums yesterday and no problems with tracking etc.

When I de-nude it later this week I'll post some more pics - there are none I could find online. The circuit boards look pristine TBH.

Due to the original mains query, I'm assuming it was part of a console. If you look at the original pics there is a DIN socket. This is attached to a 24v relay. When I plug it in the motor starts - there is no off/on switch. I am not touching this. lol I may enter a world of pain.

Does the start/stop switch not do anything? On all the LAD decks with the touch switches that I have owned, the platter does indeed start spinning as soon as you plug it in, however if you then press Start/Stop it stops and can be controlled as normal with this switch from there on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beobloke said:

Does the start/stop switch not do anything? On all the LAD decks with the touch switches that I have owned, the platter does indeed start spinning as soon as you plug it in, however if you then press Start/Stop it stops and can be controlled as normal with this switch from there on.

Thanks.

Aye, the stop/start does work so it's not a problem.

I've added a ground wire but the rustling remains. The arm has 2 ground wires, the arm pillar wire was intact and the collet wire seemed tight - very slight tug.

Will do some more continuity testing. Doesn't interfere with the sound tho'. Which continues to impress.

A lot.

At a loss re: the earthing.

There is continuity from the arm collet and the bearings but not the arm-tube. It's all very confusing.

All the grounding (remember this is a metal t/t - everything is connected) goes thru to mains ground. I could lift this but I could also electrocute myself. This is not a preferred option.

No hum just rustling when I touch the headshell, arm etc.

It may have to be dismantled.

If anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

Besides this, it continues to sound silly good. Especially with some 80's/90's 12"'s. No surprise there.