Sign in to follow this  
Gazjam

Where to put your best interconnect?

Posted (edited)

Hi

Question about XLR cable connections is a balanced Dac-Pre/Power amp setup if I can?

I'm currently connecting Dac to Preamp using a Foo XLR cable, and my Pre is connected (or was) to my power amp using RCA.
Picking up a new power amp with XLR input tomorrow, so now in a position to run a fully balanced setup - Yay 'n such.

So 2 XLR cables used: 

1 to hook Dac to Pre
1 between Pre to Power.
Have 2 XLR cables, the fancy one I currently use for the Dac, and a good but "normal" one I will bring into service for the other.

I know XLRs are less prone to noise etc than RCA, and maybe less of a difference between them, but still think its worth putting the Foo one where it will do the most good?

Just looking for some opinions please, put it at the Source or between Pre and power?
I know and I will try both and listen for myself, just wonder if there's any accepted wisdom in this.

Maybe the old subjective "no size fits all" applies here and it doesn't really matter?

Cheers.

Edited by Gazjam

You know it makes sense to put the foo one between the DAC and pre-amp, you'll only lie awake at night wondering if you did the right thing.

Just make sure you follow the directional arrows on the cables if they have them!:whistle:

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Yeah, cos XLRs do that 9_9:geek:

Reckon Pre to power, that way any assumed benefit will get to my Turntable as well, not just the Dac.
That said, listen to digital more so...

I'll have a try with both.

ta.

Edited by Gazjam
  • Upvote 1

If there really is any possibility of a significant difference between the two cables (which I doubt), then it would make sense to me to put the better one (the one that preserves the signal the best) between the preamp and the power amp, because this is where the signal has been attenuated and is therefore more prone to a decrease in signal-to-noise ratio caused by the introduction of noise.

I’m going more on theory David than practice, and assuming a difference.
Im steering myself more towards the Pre-Power, as any (assumed) improvement in cable will benefit the whole system.

Yeah, decided.
That makes more sense to me.

Maybe try them both of a wet Sunday afternoon at some point.

Use your "crap" cable for all connections and then you won't have this indecision  :doh:

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

I would always put the better cable as far up the chain as possible. So if it was me, it would be between the dac and the preamp. 

Its just like terminations, no matter what plug we put at the end of the cable, it won't improve the performance of the bare cable. It can only deteriorate the pure signal. Some more than the others   :D

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mr.me said:

Use your "crap" cable for all connections and then you won't have this indecision  :doh:

Cool.

[Jack Nicholson smiling gif]

Edited by Gazjam
  • Haha 1

Use your best interconnects between pre amp and power amp..

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Had you only a digital source I might have plumped for DAC to pre for the foo cable, but as you’ve a fab turntable I’d go with pre to power.  
However, as you’ve suggested, it’s well worth a bit of experimenting, though I’ve not found XLRs to be especially critical.  If you’re comparing don’t forget the different levels you’ll likely encounter.  I switched to balanced from my streamer a few months ago and of course it was double the voltage!  But my amp has level adjustable inputs so it was soon sorted. 

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

As near to the source as you can .

Super Wammer

I would say that only on what i have heard to date which is by no means extensive then it certainly seems that cable differences are much less obvious if there is any with XLR . Any well made XLR cable tends to sound like any other well made XLR cable . So for me it does not matter were you put either of the cable . The good thing is you can try both and then tell us all how worng or right we were .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2