Sign in to follow this  
Pete the Feet

ALDI Beef Fillet Steak £4.99

Not been in ALDI for ages but we needed some dishwasher tablets. Mrs Feet spied the fillet steaks and we just had to have a couple of these. Just polished them off for tea or dinner as you posh folk call it and let me say they were the best I've had in a long time. The sirloins looked good as well.

Get a move on if you're interested.

4 minutes ago, Pete the Feet said:

Not been in ALDI for ages but we needed some dishwasher tablets. Mrs Feet spied the fillet steaks and we just had to have a couple of these. Just polished them off for tea or dinner as you posh folk call it and let me say they were the best I've had in a long time. The sirloins looked good as well.

I find Aldi steak a bit hit and miss, had some excellent ones but also some poor ones. I only buy the matured rump ones. Never liked sirloin.

Super Wammer

Had a 28 day matured sirloin last week, it was so good I have been back and got another one for tomorrow. 

We had the 30 day matured at £4.99. There were some cheaper ones at £3.99, however the Mrs liked the look of the 30 day ones and they were very very good. We've paid almost double in local butchers and they didn't come close to these. Previously had some fillet steak from the local Lidl and whilst edible they weren't in the lets have more category. As said it can be hit and miss but this is true for a butchers as well as a supermarket.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

Better still Farm Foods Sirloin.  Two 8 ounce steaks in a box at £5.99 or two boxes at £10.  Nice thick ones unlike Aldi's or Tesco's.  Having one each tonight.  Prefer Rib Eye, but for the money who's going to complain?

Careful when they say 30 day matured.

There's wet matured where the meat is butchered and put in a vacuum pack for 30 days.  Its still soggy and full of blood.  Or there's dry aged where the meat is left to hang for the 30 days before being butchered and sold.

The dry aged is obviously better but more expensive as a lot of the moisture has evaporated.

I can't speak for the Aldi ones but the Lidl equivalents tend to be a bit of dry aged and a bit of wet.

Do yourself a favour and go to a proper butcher for a well hung, well seasoned steak. See if you can get some flat iron - sometimes called Butler's Steak.  It is superb.  It will cost a small fortune but it is worth it.  Use it as a treat rather than a weekly offering.

My passion is for a 28 to 30 dry aged T-Bone steak which my wife and I share.  Its cut at between 2.5 and 2 inches thick.  Browned in a screaming hot cast iron pan and then put in the oven for 6 or 7 minutes.  Then left to rest for 10 to 15 minutes (plenty time for the chips to cook).

Serve it with a sauce made from reduced Worcestershire and double cream or a nice Chimichurri sauce (I make mine with coriander, mint and parsley, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, red chilli, oil, garlic salt and pepper).

Veg?  Not on my watch.

Nom.

53 minutes ago, ESK said:

C

Serve it with a sauce made from reduced Worcestershire and double cream or a nice Chimichurri sauce (I make mine with coriander, mint and parsley, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, red chilli, oil, garlic salt and pepper).

Veg?  Not on my watch.

Nom.

What's the point, with that lot you'll never taste the steak.  :D

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ESK said:

Do yourself a favour and go to a proper butcher for a well hung, well seasoned steak. 

Easier said than done. The two butchers in the village are questionable in where they source their products from. One tells me that the chicken breasts come from Garstang [On a Styrofoam tray as seen], meat from Preston, Bacon from wherever etc. The other butcher was taking orders for locally reared Turkeys for Christmas the other year but he forgot to remove the Polski labels.

I think unless you live in an affluent area, which may have a Waitrose in the locality as a barometer, then the existing butchers have to compete on price. A Lidl opened in the past two years and this must have had an effect on local shops. The area doesn't even support a greengrocers anymore and hasn't for well over 10 years. The only food shops that seem to thrive are the Halal butchers and Asian grocery shops in nearby Rochdale.

2 hours ago, ESK said:

There's wet matured where the meat is butchered and put in a vacuum pack for 30 days.  Its still soggy and full of blood.  Or there's dry aged where the meat is left to hang for the 30 days before being butchered and sold.

The dry aged is obviously better but more expensive as a lot of the moisture has evaporated.

I can't speak for the Aldi ones but the Lidl equivalents tend to be a bit of dry aged and a bit of wet.

Do yourself a favour and go to a proper butcher for a well hung, well seasoned steak. See if you can get some flat iron - sometimes called Butler's Steak.  It is superb.  It will cost a small fortune but it is worth it.  Use it as a treat rather than a weekly offering.

My passion is for a 28 to 30 dry aged T-Bone steak which my wife and I share.  Its cut at between 2.5 and 2 inches thick.  Browned in a screaming hot cast iron pan and then put in the oven for 6 or 7 minutes.  Then left to rest for 10 to 15 minutes (plenty time for the chips to cook).

Veg?  Not on my watch.

Nom.

My local butcher is too expensive, not paying those prices. I tried flat iron once, had a slight liver taste which I did not like. Why put a sauce on a decent tasty steak, I never understand that? 

• Like 1

I didn't suggest putting it on the steak.  I wrote "served with."

Anyways, I like a sauce with my steak.  Apologies if it  offends your sensibilities.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ESK said:

Veg?  Not on my watch.

Nom.

Oh my god. I dribbled reading that 😋