Sign in to follow this  
Pete the Feet

ALDI Beef Fillet Steak £4.99

On 31/07/2020 at 18:12, Pete the Feet said:

Easier said than done. The two butchers in the village are questionable in where they source their products from. One tells me that the chicken breasts come from Garstang [On a Styrofoam tray as seen], meat from Preston, Bacon from wherever etc. The other butcher was taking orders for locally reared Turkeys for Christmas the other year but he forgot to remove the Polski labels.

I think unless you live in an affluent area, which may have a Waitrose in the locality as a barometer, then the existing butchers have to compete on price. A Lidl opened in the past two years and this must have had an effect on local shops. The area doesn't even support a greengrocers anymore and hasn't for well over 10 years. The only food shops that seem to thrive are the Halal butchers and Asian grocery shops in nearby Rochdale.

Avoid meat labelled from Ireland.  Ireland is a huge clearing house for meat from all over the World.  It coild be from anywhere including Countries with dubious animal welfare practices and massive chemical growth stimulants given to them.

• Upvote 1

That's interesting to know Ron. I wouldn't have thought it would have been allowed with Ireland being in the EU. Although I think in the near future it won't just be Ireland unfortunately.

35 minutes ago, Pete the Feet said:

That's interesting to know Ron. I wouldn't have thought it would have been allowed with Ireland being in the EU. Although I think in the near future it won't just be Ireland unfortunately.

Pete, the meat doesn't even need to be landed in Ireland, for it to be labelled as Irish.  Just another form of commodity trading. Although s few years ago there was a bad case of contaminated imported meat in an Irish processing plant.

What's wrong with veg? I like a ribeye with grean beans, brocolli and carrots :).

Super Wammer
52 minutes ago, Carrington said:

What's wrong with veg? I like a ribeye with grean beans, brocolli and carrots :).

:nup:

1 hour ago, greybeard said:

:nup:

Okay, sometimes I have fries, but I like veg :).

• Haha 1

Me too.  I'm currently nomming a carrot cake muffin.  With chunks of Cadbury Fruit and Nut through it.

• Haha 1