DWJames

FREE Big, ugly, bent, Single Ended Triode EL34 Integrated valve amp seeks kind and patient DIY enthusiast with sensitive speakers

Posted (edited)

Hi all, 
does someone fancy a project? This amp originated here so I figure it's only right that it should go back here.

TLDR, it's bent and manky, but working great. Some Wammer can have it for free, but it'll need collecting from B11 or GL18

I bought this amp a good while back, but hadn't quite realised it was huge and massively heavy even by big valve amp standards, so I resold it back in 2016, but to cut a long story short, the guy I sold it to thought it was faulty and was going through a bit of a crisis, so I just got it re-collected by the courier rather than try and diagnose things remotely. I got it back home, but was in the middle of a massive building project at the time so put it to one side and completely forgot about it. I'm now having a proper clearout 4 years later! so I've finally opened the box to check it out and it's clear that at some point, probably the return courier journey to me, it's been dropped. It was pretty well packaged, but because the case is pretty thin and the transformers are so heavy it's kind of buckled and twisted.

So here's how it looks today 

IMG_20200730_184428.thumb.jpg.a25d62e932480303502fe71524e15042.jpgIMG_20200730_184439.thumb.jpg.2034fc8a679f8e055d65ad51305bcad5.jpgIMG_20200730_184445.thumb.jpg.10d2836bb42b5e076f9c86a7dd2ca7bf.jpgIMG_20200730_184517.thumb.jpg.c166b4fa29dad57272d9825d963bf398.jpgIMG_20200730_184529.thumb.jpg.2d2aebd2de68077a5cad5507da92c594.jpgIMG_20200730_190324.thumb.jpg.15b7a82d6260ffafc02b191d30a9c605.jpg

I've just opened it up, seen an obvious bad solder joint onto the large capacitors inside, which may well have been the cause of the dodgy noises the previous purchase heard, so I've just repaired that and powered it up and it's sat next to me now singing away beautifully.

Really it wants to be taken apart, case straightened out or replaced, change some transformer casings and give others a wire brush and maybe coat of paint.
Or keep it as-is and marvel at the beautiful sounds coming out of an amp that looks like Sloth from the Goonies?

Your shout, but it's up for grabs for free to someone who'll appreciate it. It's a cheap fix for someone with plenty of time, patience and DIY skills.

It can be collected from either my house at GL18 or office (but only during office hours) at B11 

Here's the original sale thread from 2016 from before it got all bent up and stuck in a box for 4 years:

cheers,

James

Edited by DWJames
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer

Ooooh! This looks like it may be right up my street! And with my 107db speaker’s it should work a treat.

Do you need It collecting quickly? May be able to get to you in the next few weeks!?? 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, robbie010 said:

Do you need It collecting quickly? 

It's been 4 years so far, another couple of weeks is no drama :)

107db speakers would be great. It does sound lovely

Edited by DWJames

Oh yes. Absolutely lethal. Don't go anywhere near it. I'll take it off your hands to keep the world a safer place  :D

Simon knows what he's doing well enough to not put a finger where it don't belong.

In all seriousness, if Simon wants it, please do. It would indeed probably be perfect for the Voigts. If not, I'd certainly take it.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, DWJames said:

It's been 4 years so far, another couple of weeks is no drama :)

107db speakers would be great. It does sound lovely

Cheers James. 

Let me take a look at my diary for the next few weeks and see if I can make the journey fit. If not I will come back to the thread shortly. 

Super Wammer

That’ll work, James. Happy to pay for any packaging needed and the shipping cost if thats easier. 

I’ll drop you a PM. 

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

The amp arrived this morning..... tis but a scratch and I will have it as good as new in a jiffy!! :^

Thanks again, James!

Edited by robbie010
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

It's not Vanessa, is it? :shock:

Come on now you know there is nothing quite like Vanessa .

Vanessa had quite a few more bits sticking out. No idea where she went.

3 hours ago, robbie010 said:

The amp arrived this morning..... tis but a scratch and I will have it as good as new in a jiffy!! :^

Thanks again, James!

Excellent, enjoy! 

Super Wammer
On 06/08/2020 at 13:22, DWJames said:

Excellent, enjoy! 

Another big thanks, James. 

I spent a few hours yesterday and today stripping parts and “gettin busy” with a body hammer and clamps to straighten the chassis. Its not perfect but it looks pretty straight and sits nicely.

I also spent some time cleaning and checking over all the parts and solder joints before hooking it up to some old speakers and testing it........ working perfectly!

After soak testing it for 3 or 4 hours last night I hooked it up to my La Scala’s today and its sound sublime!

F39779FD-CAA8-4D83-A985-45CDD6BFDB4A.jpeg

D30E5C73-A0EB-41D5-9C4B-65474130A3A8.jpeg

B3EB880C-E2F1-4F8E-B4C4-D8A59A38E5B1.jpeg

9A4C9FC2-01AD-4D18-8A52-6C787A45EA1B.jpeg

• Like 1

oh my oh my, that is just gorgeous. james - that be the spirit... robbie enjoy.