Nearly bewildered

This v link dont stink!

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Bought a musical fidelity v link to see what my cyrus dac would sound like streaming from tablet..( my dac x has no usb input) sounded pretty good..so then i thought what would my musical fidelity processor sound like? Its has no usb input either!  So i put a Optical from v link into input on processor..wow!  Sounded fab! ( old 90s dac) so..i then bought a audio alchemy dac in the box..used a optical into dac in the box from v link again sounded very good..i would assume both of these old dacs have no ansynchronous clock? So the ansynchronous clock on the v link was making a huge improvement in the sound of these old dacs?  so then i thought i would try the v link with my modded jolida dac..now this dac has a ansynchronous clock and a usb input!  So i started comparing sound between jolida dac's usb and the v link into jolida again using a Optical cable..( i used My audioquest usb cable to jolida usb input and a cheap usb cable to v link)  i was surprised at the result and called in my long suffering friend to listen and they confirmed what i was hearing..the v link was superior to the usb input on jolida..the sound was better in every way..could someone explain this? The only thing i can think of is the optical input on jolida isnt ansynchronous?  so if the clock is better on the v link then that would explain the better sound?  

I was not familiar with the V-Link so had a look at a couple of them on e-bay and I am a little puzzled about how you are connecting things . Now the V-Link has optical and coaxial inputs plus a switchable USB  asynchronous input (you lose the coaxial) . It then only outputs to a pair of Left and Right analogue sockets so the only output is through the V-Link DAC . The asynchronus clock will only work on items connected to your V-Link by USB it does not alter the optical or coaxial input at all as they do not have the USB clock information included in the stream . So if you use a DAC in to the V-Link then it will be the V-Link DAC which is offering any improvement and should give you exactlyt the same improvement if you connect your digital source directly to the V-Link . As far as I can see there is no digital pass through or output from the V-Link so nothing would be going back to whatever DAC you connected ..... I think .:wall:

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, bencat said:

. Now the V-Link has optical and coaxial inputs plus a switchable USB  asynchronous input (you lose the coaxial) . It then only outputs to a pair of Left and Right analogue sockets so the only output is through the V-Link DAC  ..... I think .:wall:

I think the V Link only has a USB input, the optical and coax are S/PDIF outputs having been converted from USB.

1_vlinkii-front.png

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bencat said:

I was not familiar with the V-Link so had a look at a couple of them on e-bay and I am a little puzzled about how you are connecting things . Now the V-Link has optical and coaxial inputs plus a switchable USB  asynchronous input (you lose the coaxial) . It then only outputs to a pair of Left and Right analogue sockets so the only output is through the V-Link DAC . The asynchronus clock will only work on items connected to your V-Link by USB it does not alter the optical or coaxial input at all as they do not have the USB clock information included in the stream . So if you use a DAC in to the V-Link then it will be the V-Link DAC which is offering any improvement and should give you exactlyt the same improvement if you connect your digital source directly to the V-Link . As far as I can see there is no digital pass through or output from the V-Link so nothing would be going back to whatever DAC you connected ..... I think .:wall:

No...usb to v link then optical or coax to dac..no analogue outputs ( that would be a dac)  this v link is a usb to spdif converter which has a ansynchronous clock within it..thus its awesome with older style dacs..now with my jolida dac it has a  ansynchronous clock within it..idea being crap clock from usb but then its reclocked by the jolida and hey presto! Nice sound...but strangely if you use v link between usb and jolida..optical going from v link into jolida..the sound is improved by a Margin? How? The reclocking by the v link is ignored by jolida which uses its own clock..so by logic the sound would be the same from tablet usb or from v link to jolida as the ansynchronous clock in jolida takes over?  So.maybe the v link is a usb conditioner?  But why the clock? As most modern dacs have ansynchronous clocks anyway?  all a bit over my head..some know all on another forum said as the DAC reclocks the v link would make no difference to sound only if the dacs ansynchronous clock could be switched off..then the v link clock might make a difference?  Well? Mr know all is wrong!  The improvement in the sound was considerable and most unexpected but welcome...

Super Wammer

Apologies when i searched for V-Link by MF got the wrong product so my comments are rubbish , bit like my head at the moment . The music from my main system on the otherhand is pretty darn good .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bencat said:

Apologies when i searched for V-Link by MF got the wrong product so my comments are rubbish , bit like my head at the moment . The music from my main system on the otherhand is pretty darn good .

That's the important thing..the music sounds good..that's what it is all about..🙂

Super Wammer

I am going to look out for one of these as it is a handy unit to have and gives you scope to have a bit of a play . It would be easy to set up a Raspberry Pi with USB out as the player in to the V-Link and then just use the digital out in to any of the DAC,s you have to hand to see what happens .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bencat said:

Does whatever you connect the optical from hum with another DAC ot just the Blue Node ? If just the Blue Node then my best guess (and this is just a guess) then the TOSLINK Reciever in the Blue Node is faulty and making an earth contact but that could be very wide of the mark .

No it does not hum with another DAC and it only hums with certain tubes in the Jolida, so nothing is faulty in the Node. Also a CD player connected with toslink also hums. Just surprised that that it hums with optical connection. 

Edited by StingRay

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, uzzy said:

My theory - all DACs sound different .. as to which is right - well that is another debate 

Whoops!.

Edited by Psilonaught
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StingRay said:

No it does not hum with another DAC and it only hums with certain tubes in the Jolida, so nothing is faulty in the Node. Also a CD player connected with toslink also hums. Just surprised that that it hums with optical connection. 

Then I think you have answered your own question as to the source of the problem .

Edited by bencat

58 minutes ago, bencat said:

Then I think you have answered your own question as to the source of the problem .

Yes the tubes are a problem but why does it hum when I connect it with optical cable? 

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's not that it hums with a TOSLINK, it hums without the earth provided by a coax connection. 

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Maybe it's not that it hums with a TOSLINK, it hums without the earth provided by a coax connection. 

It hums if I connect it with coax as well.

The only cure seems to be is to run an earth wire from the DAC to the Node streamer. It does not hum if I don't have the Node connected. The Node does not have an earth cable to the the mains, it's figure of 8 mains lead.

Edited by StingRay

If the casework is metal just loosen a screw and use a length of wire to bond the two devices. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

In the end the problem is with the either the Node or the Jolida it is not with the optical cable . If this were me then I would either need to find out what the f--k is going on with both units to cause this or one or both would have to go . There is a situation were this could be a hazard and risk for electrical fault or failure . I have done enough of them through my fault I would not allow the equipment itself to introduce such an issue.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Strider said:

If the casework is metal just loosen a screw and use a length of wire to bond the two devices. 

By hums I mean through the speakers.

The Node is not metal. The Jolida DAC does have an earthing point.

It only hums with 1 set of tubes which I'm not using, all the others (4) are fine.

It is probably because the Node is not earthed. 

Edited by StingRay
  • Like 1