oldius

How has this hobby affected your taste in music?

My tastes have certainly changed, but it's hard to know if that is just aging or Hifi affecting my music choices. I have definitely moved away from rock and guitar heavy music towards more acoustic and introspective and atmospheric music. OMD playing right now, a band I saw supporting Gary Numan in the late 70s so I guess I haven't changed all of the music I listen to but there has certainly been a slide to the mellower and more relaxing stuff over the years including Jazz, electronica, folk and ambient.

I love that music is a constant journey for me and I very rarely listen to the same stuff I listened to in my youth, I have grown and become more sophisticated - I hope!

A main difference for me is that I tend to listen to music to relax to at the end of the day and not to get ready for going out to a club or to dance to -  what I use music for has changed a bit. Hifi could have quite possibly influenced some of my more recent purchases as I love the way acoustic music and some other well produced music sounds on my system ,  it is a bit frustrating if you buy something you like but sounds crap!

Recent purchases have included Aldous Harding, Cate le Bon, Anna von Hausswolff, Cat Power, Kings of Convenience, Julia Holter, Flaming Lips , Wilco and Lampchop.

• Like 1

How has this hobby influenced my taste in music? It hasn't. Nor the other way round really.

In my (not that) humble opinion, if a system dictates your choice of music, it's no use.

• Upvote 6

The small caveat to the post above is that my system is currently influencing my choice of music in that silence is better. It's not better than music, of course. It's just that over 30 degrees and a system with 33 valves in it are what might be termed a 'non-optimal thermal combination'.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, rabski said:

The small caveat to the post above is that my system is currently influencing my choice of music in that silence is better. It's not better than music, of course.

Just listen to John Cage's 4'33".  In the case of 4'33", silence is music.  xD  Plus, you can claim that your system has gotten you into avant-garde music and then feel smug about it.  ;)

• Haha 2

My musical choices have never been influenced by my system and I’m sure what music is in my collection would surprise some members!

Rather than choose music for my system I have tried to recreate what I have heard live, hearing Cult of Luna live at the DownLoad Festival (2007?) is what I aspire to at home. Unfortunately that will require a Euro Millions win, we can all dream!

During my working day my iPod, through reasonably priced headphones or a Bluetooth speaker, gets as much if not more use than my home system. I consider myself lucky that I’ve managed to invest time and money into a system that enhances my enjoyment of music I love, be it raw low-fi Black Metal or extremely well produced classical.

The donkey chases the carrot, not the other way round.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Warszawa said:

I wouldn't say this hobby has affected my taste in music at all. It just sounds better.

Exactly this. If anything, I have tailored my kit to my music tastes.

I Aspire to a stack of Marshalls to get the authentic concert experience 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EddieRUKidding said:

Yes, but where are you going to get the sirens and riots to replicate an authentic Edgard Varèse concert?  xD

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Klassik said:

Yes, but where are you going to get the sirens and riots to replicate an authentic Edgard Varèse concert?  xD

I'll just stream that off the news 9_9

Edited by EddieRUKidding
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's a double edged sword. First and foremost I buy or listen to music I like, not the other way round. Secondly, some of the music I like may just happen to sound really good and may end up playing em more. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, EddieRUKidding said:

Big Klipsch or JBLs can get you close with a pair of Macs 1Kw.  Well close to being arrested for disturbing the neighbourhood. :D

Edited by George 47
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Warszawa said:

I wouldn't say this hobby has affected my taste in music at all. It just sounds better.

This.

I've known capable well trained musicians who listen to music on equipment that I don't have a high opinion of, and I think it's because they listen to the music not the gear.

When I were a kid we had an 'Ecko' (sp?) "record reproducer". It had a 10" plastic turntable that could spin at 78, 45, 33, and 16 rpm.  It had a tonearm made of the same plastic with a cartridge that you had to turn over in order to play 78s, and the warning on Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells applied: "This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with.  If you are in posession of such equipment, please hand it in at your local police station immediately." The amplifier at the front contained one ECL86, and the speaker was one of those small elliptical jobs behind an expanded metal mesh grille. Dad liked Beethoven, Mozart and a small amount of the usually-famous baroque stuff, Mum liked Glenn Miller. We didn't listen to pop, rock'n'roll, jazz, blues or the like.

As a teenager I started getting into the stuff we "didn't listen to" and started taking an interest in stereo. All I ever wanted was to hear the music without hiss, distortion, rumble, wow, flutter, snap, crackle , or pop (although the old Ecko machine did have well-behaved electronics). HiFi has enabled me to hear more music, and better. While I had my record collection and main HiFi system in storage (for selling the flat) I "slummed it" with a small CD collection and a ghetto blaster. I still enjoyed the music although I have to say I missed my main system because it definitely filled the room a lot better than the ghetto blaster did. However the equipment that I really despise is this Mobile phone / tablet / computer monitor / PC speakers stuff which has no bass, and which reduces all percussion to tsch tsch noises. I've heard 1960s Grundig battery-operated cassette players that delivered more music.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

If anything, I have tailored my kit to my music tastes.

This is how the hobby used to work before the measurement police came along.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The equipment is a means to the end, I'm sat at work listening using my phone and my wireless in ears but just one ear bud. The forum has given me so many new music finds and that all that matters in the end. Music is forever Hi-fi is temporary.

Edited by Lee M
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, George 47 said:

Big Klipsch or JBLs can get you close with a pair of Macs 1Kw.  Well close to being arrested for disturbing the neighbourhood. :D

Yeah, I do enough damage with my AR93's and Wharfedale Dovedale SP's. 

I used to have a quad box with a 100w head, neighbours are better off now, only got a twin Marshall 50w now but has got built in effects....

Some Varese piped thru it could interesting9_9

• Haha 2