oldius

How has this hobby affected your taste in music?

If owning my system got me listening to jazz or female accoustic guitar music it would have been sold by now...

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

The only bit of ‘equipment’ that has influenced my music choices has been digital systems that suggest other artists. I never listen to the system I just listen to the music.

The non-equipment item that has affected what I listen to is my wife - no King Crimson, Numan or George Clinton!!

20 minutes ago, DomT said:

The non-equipment item that has affected what I listen to is my wife - no King Crimson, Numan or George Clinton!!

Gary Numan's music is meant to be played in cars, of course.  ;)

• Haha 4

I discovered that a lot of 90’s rockbands that went completely under the radar when I grew up. Deftones, Alice in Chains, System of a Down. Love it!

Also, I really disliked 80’s pop music before, but since I have my new amp I dig it a whole lot better.

10 hours ago, kernow said:

If owning my system got me listening to jazz or female accoustic guitar music it would have been sold by now...

So what sort of music do you play?

Yes absolutely, I cannot listen to a lot of so called poorly produced rock music I love, especially The Fall! That's why I'm buying another system to run alongside my 'audiophool' set up.

I think Pink Floyd sounds a lot better when i started buying Hifi all those years ago so i must of done something right but the bands i follow have in a way made me buy better hifi so i can get as close to the artiest as much as possible .

Posted (edited)

90s hip-hop, metal, 80s new romantic, french electronic, Burt Bacharach, Smith's, joy Division, Depeche mode, Kraftwerk,black Sabbath, same stuff as I was into before 

Edited by kernow

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, kernow said:

90s hip-hop, metal, 80s new romantic, french electronic, Burt Bacharach, Smith's, joy Division, Depeche mode, Kraftwerk,black Sabbath, same stuff as I was into before 

Take Black sabbath i have been a fan all of my life and ozzy solo i can here more detail that i never heard when i first started with my first Hifi a specially black sabbaths first album which is my favorite black sabbath album that is mind blowing really .

Music should always come first so when you get threads on cables on here and people arguing about it  i think just put your music on and enjoy it  

Edited by Blacksabbath25
  • Like 2

I don't think HiFi has influenced my taste in music, taste is taste, maybe the title should be what you play?

I think what I play is more influenced by what is available, I find a lot of modern music to be not to my taste although there are a few current artists I like but it is not like the early-mid 1970s. 

I do think some music sounds better on a HiFi system and some sounds worse, so I can see why some audiophiles only play the audiophile type records.

For me it's about the music, I may add a second system which will be less HiFi than my current set-up. 

5 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

Music should always come first so when you get threads on cables on here and people arguing about it  i think just put your music on and enjoy it  

Post of the month! :^

Posted (edited)

As my system has improved i have become more and more dissatisfied with compressed rock music. Its not the musicians at fault its the engineers. I see them proudly sitting alongside  an ocean liner of a mixer in those 'how album A was made' documentaries thinking they are the bees knees.

Its always been jazz, blues and soul with me, but rock has receded.

Ive spent some time assembling a respectable mono front end - Garrard 401/12" unipivot (Temaard) and a mono'd Decca Gold - in the interests of doing justice to older music when the recording process was simpler. Same genres in general, but I'm hankering after getting some mono rock'n roll singles to see what they can sound like.

Jack NSM

PS I think it IS a good question - 'has hifi influenced your musical taste?'

Edited by Non-Smoking Man