Exaktbox-i high level connection for subwoofers <HOWTO>

I just used my ears .

Buy a t9i or like me a used JL 110e, I love my JL, it works without a exaktbox sub .

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I finally stumbled across this thread, and am curious if anyone has actually confirmed that the REL subs work with a High-level (speakon) connection from an Exakt'ed bass amplifier output?

Because when I tried this in a non-Exakt system, though Aktiv, it didn't work. I had to use line-level connections from the preamplifier to the subs. With the Speakon connected from the Bass filtered Aktiv section on my C5100, I got zilch from the sub. (I was using an S5).

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Craigas said:

I too am thinking about adding sub, to augment Akudoriks. Thinking of Rel S510 to get down to 20hz, but also their wireless airship link (below), for flexible sub positioning. Add cost of exaktbox sub and its becoming cost prohibitive, but I don't think it can be avoided ?

https://homemedialimited.co.uk/product/rel-acoustics-airship-wireless-transmitter/

Jon at ripcaster did a video demo with Linn and the REL

Looking at Exaktbox sub documentation, you need to adjust volume control on sub to integrate the sound with the rest of the system.

This worries me a bit, doesn't it depend on the volume level of the main system, the sub may integrate well at one voume level and be off at others?

I initially tagged a pair of REL to the bass outputs on my exactboxI using the high level cable. It worked ok. REL videos are pretty good at helping with integration. I now use an exact sub box with SO to the low level inputs on the REL’s. This bypasses the volume control. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chapman said:

I initially tagged a pair of REL to the bass outputs on my exactboxI using the high level cable. It worked ok. REL videos are pretty good at helping with integration. I now use an exact sub box with SO to the low level inputs on the REL’s. This bypasses the volume control. 

Thanks, which Rel subs did you go with, and what are your main speakers if you don't mind me asking?

I'm also staring to lean towards two subs with exakt box. Maybe the T/7X or T/9X. Trying to find a list of exakt supported subs to help make sure they have the right filters, no luck, maybe a phone call to Linn, and even ask recommendations based for exakt Akudoriks.

What would you do differently if you had the chance?

3 hours ago, Craigas said:

Trying to find a list of exakt supported subs to help make sure they have the right filters, no luck, maybe a phone call to Linn, and even ask recommendations based for exakt Akudoriks.

If you don't have a Linn subwoofer, the choice of non Linn subs is pretty limited. 

8 hours ago, Craigas said:

This worries me a bit, doesn't it depend on the volume level of the main system, the sub may integrate well at one voume level and be off at others?

You shouldn't worry about this. The Exaktbox Sub controls all this and adjusts the volume of the sub in relation to the volume of the speakers. No additional adjustments other than the volume setting of the subwoofer for best integration with your system is needed.

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 02.51.17.png

• Like 2

It was almost plug and play with me using melodik and 350 it was and noticeable improvement and well worth doing the bizzare thing is I couldn’t hear the sub at all even with ear up against it but was very notice able if I turned it off Jon was a live event he did so is very knowledgeable of exakt and rel

• Like 1

Linn states additional models will be added over time. Not my experience. They recommend using one of their models with a 1234567 serial number. 

11 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

If you don't have a Linn subwoofer, the choice of non Linn subs is pretty limited. 

You shouldn't worry about this. The Exaktbox Sub controls all this and adjusts the volume of the sub in relation to the volume of the speakers. No additional adjustments other than the volume setting of the subwoofer for best integration with your system is needed.

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 02.51.17.png

Still struggling with the logic on this. If its doesn't matter what sub is used why would there be a list of subs to use?

If one sub is powered by say 200 watt's and another by 1000 watts, is there the potential for varying volume attenuation from a line level input source?

Its making me nervous to purchase a sub not on the list. I guess I'm looking for assurance for some sort of sound perfection not simply that it will work and don't worry about it.

My experience with subs previously is that fiddling is needed at different volume levels, but I'm hearing that this will not be the case, how can I verify this. Is my logic all wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chapman said:

Linn states additional models will be added over time. Not my experience. They recommend using one of their models with a 1234567 serial number. 

Yes I saw that too. I could understand the documentation not being up to date with list if supported subs but was thinking-hoping subs would be added, in Konfig.

My friend in Sweden has the best sounding Akudorik setup I have heard, and was using REL subs with Exakt Subbox when I visited his home

He texted me a couple of months ago with this message:

I have switched my dual REL S/5 SHO against two Genelec 7360 with GLM 4.0 and it was a great improvement!
They complement Akudorik wonderfully and im very pleased with the result!

Here is a link to the Genelec 7360 subwoofer and their GLM software, farther down the page

https://www.genelec.com/7360a