Hifimad1

CD ripping

l’m a bit of a ‘T-Rex’ when it comes to computer music having always loved my Wadia to play CD’s.

I have had a Naim streaming system as part of a second system for a while but recently I have bought a Benchmark DAC3 and a SOtM SMS 200 network player to use in my main system.

I’m  genuinely Surprised at how nice this sounds. No, it doesn’t sound like the Wadia (not sure what DAC does) but it’s a nice detailed alternative with the easy access to my music that a NAS drive system allows.

I have ripped about 300 CDs using ITunes (don’t shoot me) , but recently I’ve been having trouble with drop outs from my rips.                   Yesterday I downloaded dB Poweramp CD ripper and it easily ripped those problem discs !!

I have always ripped to Wav/Wave as I want the best quality and a like for like copy , but I have had to use Bliss software to add the artwork to the file.A really nice surprise was that dB poweramp looks up the artwork and saves it along with the rip with no fuss ! I never new you could do this for a Wav file so it’s a great feature to have as Bliss is horribly slow and glitchy to use.

What do  you use to rip CDs ? I wish I’d looked at dB poweramp before..Not sure if it sounds better but it’s a great easy to use piece of software.

James.

F1853BAE-4D09-490C-BD75-291134C974E8.jpeg

Edited by Hifimad1
Pic added

I didn’t know about it !

dB Poweramp CD ripper should be fine but it's not free.

Just curious why some people use iTunes for their cd collection, I have read a few people doing that but can't understand why, also heard they had a few problems.

:^ For Exact Audio Copy.

Use it to rip my CDs to FLAC files

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

dB Poweramp to FLAC for me, good at getting album art and checking rips against its database.

As an aside the only real problem I have had ripping is when a CD drive started failing, the number of discs I had to clean and mess with started increasing. Sorted by using an external drive but drove me mad for about a month.

Super Wammer

Flac is an exact copy of the digital file and every bit as good soundwise as WAV it saves space and it allows all the correct tagiing vis DbPoweramp . You can also get a CD Accurate thumbs up to tell you that it is the same digital copy as all the others that have ripped the same CD . Why would you then use WAV ?

Does your Wadia have a digital input (some models do not sure aboty the model you have ) . If so then send the digital signal from the Sotm to the Wadia and the sound should be the same as when you listen to CD .

No my Wadia doesn’t have a digital out.Ripping to Aflac does not interest me.Storage capacity is so cheap now.I understand the bit for bit data of a flac file is identical to the original Wav audio file when it has been decompressed and is being playing. But for some very strange reason when playing FLAC files they just don't sound as Crisp and Clean as the Wav version and I like the idea of a like for like direct copy.Just my opinion of course.

FLAC is also available uncompressed.

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, Hifimad1 said:

No my Wadia doesn’t have a digital out.Ripping to Aflac does not interest me.Storage capacity is so cheap now.I understand the bit for bit data of a flac file is identical to the original Wav audio file when it has been decompressed and is being playing. But for some very strange reason when playing FLAC files they just don't sound as Crisp and Clean as the Wav version and I like the idea of a like for like direct copy.Just my opinion of course.

We all have our own views and if you do not like FLAC fair enough . I asked did your Wadia have a digintal input not a digital out put so that you could use the DAC in the WADIA with another digital source .

3 hours ago, bencat said:

We all have our own views and if you do not like FLAC fair enough . I asked did your Wadia have a digintal input not a digital out put so that you could use the DAC in the WADIA with another digital source .

Sorry no digital in or outs I’m afraid .

Super Wammer

What Wadia CD model is that one in the picture ? It looks like a Wadia S7i CD Player . If not what model is it ?

It’s a 581 se. cost £10k when new.