Sign in to follow this  
Psilonaught

Advice needed on carpet Vs wooden flooring

I'm about to strip out and redo my music room. It was originally a commercial premises hence the horrible floor tiles.

I was going to have wooden flooring fitted but is that going to ruin the acoustics? The room is about 7mx10m with sloping walls.

The walls are also going to be wood clad (marine plywood).

Will I be ok with wood? The floor is suspended dense MDF (it's on the first floor of this wing of the house ).

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Nothing a rug couldn't fix.  I would have thought ply clad walls would be slightly less 'live' sounding than solid brick too, so that might have some benefit.

Interestingly, my Snells actually minimise floor reflections with the application of what can only be described as a cushion underneath the mid driver.  I now have a low backed sofa about 4 feet in front of the speakers and from my listening seat the sofa is between me and speakers.  Should be an absolute no-no but after some A-B testing I couldn't tell any difference.  

Edited by lostwin

Super Wammer

I’m sure somewhere there will be information and data on absorption and reflection of different surfaces, in relation to sound.  I know on my Linn Sound Optimisation software you can define the material for walls, door, windows, etc.  These feed into the calculations.  
There was a recent thread about tuning a room, and maybe the firm who advised might be able to help.  Or one of the businesses that do these absorbers and diffusers - is GIK one of them?  Not my specialty but just what I recall.  You don’t want to spend a fortune on the wrong stuff!

The thread...

GIK are here...

https://gikacoustics.co.uk

I prefer a timber floor with a decent rug. That is what we had at our old place, the new music room has a very thick pile carpet and I've got to say, I'm not a fan, it kills some of the vibrancy of the music. 

I don't really want to listen in an anechoic chamber.