Psilonaught

Advice needed on carpet Vs wooden flooring

Recommended Posts

I'm about to strip out and redo my music room. It was originally a commercial premises hence the horrible floor tiles.

I was going to have wooden flooring fitted but is that going to ruin the acoustics? The room is about 7mx10m with sloping walls.

The walls are also going to be wood clad (marine plywood).

Will I be ok with wood? The floor is suspended dense MDF (it's on the first floor of this wing of the house ).

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooh that will be fun moving that lot to do the flooring !!! will certainly change the acoustics ?? if its for the better or not ... who knows . interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll certainly need to keep the rug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

ooh that will be fun moving that lot to do the flooring !!! will certainly change the acoustics ?? if its for the better or not ... who knows . interesting 

I'll have to clear that entire floor as they are doing the walls too, there will be a lot of dust. Those old IKEA kitchen units are going and I'll be having a knee high bench made to replace that spans the whole space. Don't want a rack, I don't like them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a pretty flat response on REW at the moment. Presumably I'll be able to measure any nasty changes with wooden floors, and then I'll need an EQ unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gut reaction is that wood is acoustically more reflective than carpet or carpet tiles. I like that you have a sloping roof which may help prevent standing waves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

My gut reaction is that wood is acoustically more reflective than carpet or carpet tiles. I like that you have a sloping roof which may help prevent standing waves.

Yep, and that's helpful as I have dipole speakers. They sound the same turned backwards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

I'm about to strip out and redo my music room. It was originally a commercial premises hence the horrible floor tiles.

I was going to have wooden flooring fitted but is that going to ruin the acoustics? The room is about 7mx10m with sloping walls.

The walls are also going to be wood clad (marine plywood).

Will I be ok with wood? The floor is suspended dense MDF (it's on the first floor of this wing of the house ).

Thanks

Are you sure your WALLS are sloping O.o

Nice amp and speakers by the way. :^

Edited by mr.me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Are you sure your WALLS are sloping O.o

Nice amp and speakers by the way. :^

Just the front and rear. It is an oak barn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wood for sure! Far nicer and more hygenic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carpet is much better as the floor is one of the first reflection points of a room.Those Maggies are already quite a neutral sounding speaker and i think it would tip the balance and could make for an unpleasant result. Like it’s been said above, if you go with a wood floor ,be prepared to cover it with a large thick rug and possibly fit additional acoustic treatment on the walls as well.Im sure it will all be fun and like everything ....a learning curve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my experience for acoustics always go with carpet. Usually a huge difference. Wood floor = bright, lots of upper mid and high frequency reflections. A carpet will absorb rather than reflect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Oops, I replied over here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

You already have a benchmark. If you like the sound then do something similar (carpet)  with the floor. If it’s too bright or flat right now then carpet/wood as appropriate. If you don’t like carpet we had wooden floor but used a 3x4m rug and it worked well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.