Psilonaught

Advice needed on carpet Vs wooden flooring

11 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Oops, I replied over here...

Sorry I appear to have double posted. Admin can you merge ?

l would go a nice high quality underlay and carpet all day long rather than a wood floor- my room from hell for instance ( if we stay here) will getting this treatment- will do away with the rubbish underlay and laminate there now.:grrr::geek:

hmmm I really can't decide. Maybe if we assume I will buy a room correction DSP of some kind (miniDSP etc), then even if I do impact the sound slightly, I can correct it back?

6 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

l would go a nice high quality underlay and carpet all day long rather than a wood floor- my room from hell for instance ( if we stay here) will getting this treatment- will do away with the rubbish underlay and laminate there now.:grrr::geek:

This.

When Mr Carpets had done my music room ("Another man-cave" thread) I commented that the place was a lot less live with the new carpet. He said that the 10mm thick underlay he had used was very absorbing of sound. I suspect the carpet I'd bought is somewhat less absorbing as it was selected from a fairly cheap product range, but with the underlay, I'm impressed.

The sound characteristics of a speaker's interaction with a room is very unpredictable, as there are so many variables.  Plus there are personal preferences to take into account.  As some other people have said, a room with no life at all doesn't sound good to many people.  Theoretically, a wooden floor offers more flexibility as you can always add rugs.  

4 minutes ago, Dazed&Confused said:

The sound characteristics of a speaker's interaction with a room is very unpredictable, as there are so many variables.  Plus there are personal preferences to take into account.  As some other people have said, a room with no life at all doesn't sound good to many people.  Theoretically, a wooden floor offers more flexibility as you can always add rugs.  

that makes sense. I think I've decided on wooden flooring, I suspect carpet will look odd with wooden walls.

Super Wammer

Will be very interested to hear the results of your change. Next year our lounge is due for a complete "strip & refurb" (including new floor boarding and possibly reinforcement of the joists, moving radiators, etc). With two dogs that shed needle-like fur that gets stuck into everything we are planning to go wood floor / easy-to-vacuum rugs so inevitably the acoustics in this room are going to change. Do keep us informed of your progress and how it has altered your space.

I'm wondering if there's any mileage in constructing some curves in the room corners and between walls and ceiling to help with those standing waves while we are at it - just one of those random thoughts I have from time to time! 

P.S. love your Maggies! Always had an itch to listen to a big pair

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

hmmm I really can't decide. Maybe if we assume I will buy a room correction DSP of some kind (miniDSP etc), then even if I do impact the sound slightly, I can correct it back?

I am more of the opinion of the room as close to your preference first (without obvious sound panels etc) if it’s primaril for music and then tweak with dsp rather than to more heavily rely on dsp. 

How is the room sounding today? 

Posted (edited)

All down to taste really. I'm personally not a fan of too much wood, but I can see the appeal.

It's not really 'one or the other'. If you design the room to be acoustically ideal and it looks like s**t then you're not going to be relaxed when listening, and all the room treatment in the universe won't make up for that. On the other hand, if it looks perfect to you but wrecks the acoustics, that's not ideal either.

Plain wood floors are far from ideal for sonics, as the reflections are direct. Software treatment may be of limited use, as it tends to be mostly to correct issues with lower frequencies, whereas direct reflections are also going to cause treble problems and resulting timing nasties. That said, some serious rugging ought to kill most issues. Worst-case scenario is that you can always carpet over a wooden floor, but you can't lay a wood floor over carpet...

Edited by rabski
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

And there is nothing quite like ...a serious rugging :shaggers:

Carpet everytime. Wood type floors look nice but crap for audio. 

Plus carpet is just more comfy. I say that from a house mainly with wood flooring. Theres Pros and cons to each but if you want the best sound, carpets or at least cover as much as you can with rugs. 

21 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

I'm getting a pretty flat response on REW at the moment. Presumably I'll be able to measure any nasty changes with wooden floors, and then I'll need an EQ unit.

Carpet for sure. Unless you want it to sound like a Californian mansion.

Also remember a flat response is not the be all. You could tweek a wooden floor version to be flat, but the floor will act like an acoustic mirror, so you will be getting two sets of sound arriving at your ears, the direct and the reflected. These will be the higher frequencies, where it starts depends on room size, distance you to the  speakers etc etc etc.

Thing is the reflected sound will be taking a longer path, so will be phase shifted, and the frequency responce of the system in room does not reflect that.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
21 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

I'm about to strip out and redo my music room. It was originally a commercial premises hence the horrible floor tiles.

I was going to have wooden flooring fitted but is that going to ruin the acoustics? The room is about 7mx10m with sloping walls.

The walls are also going to be wood clad (marine plywood).

Will I be ok with wood? The floor is suspended dense MDF (it's on the first floor of this wing of the house ).

Thanks

I think a wooden floor with a rug and underlay in between the speakers is fine. I can’t remember seeing pictures of recording studios with fitted carpets. I would think too much carpet will only damp the treble too much.

Super Wammer

The question is - what is the existing floor (under the tiles) .. if the floor is concrete?   The reason I ask is if it is not you might like to consider speaker placement and if the existing floor is on wooden joists then to put concrete plates in an area where you intend to stand the loudspeakers (this avoids the first problem with wooden floors - vibration from the cabinets and isolation).

If it is a concrete floor there is now the provision of being able to apply a polished concrete surface (people are using this method for work tops now as well) which gives a lovely durable finish . easy to clean and no worries about water damage.   However, the problem of sound reflection remains (as for wood) but without the problem of it vibrating annoyingly (as wood can) .. the sound reflection problem can be sorted with nice heavy rugs or big rug .. this too will help with wooden floors.   

The final advantages of the concrete floor is you can also consider some of the vinyl floor coverings which are now very durable and hard wearing and come in wood finishes (the colouring of the top layer of vinyl looks like wood) or you can have it looking like stone flagstones.  My daughter has her kitchen diner all done in this (a grey wood grain plank pattern) and it looks fab (we have our kitchen done for many years in one that looks like slate tiles).   The big advantage of this is it is almost acoustically inert and MAY have the advantage of reduced sound reflections .. but again you can stick a thick rug on it.  If the sound reflections are awful and cannot be contained then you may decide to sling a carpet down.

I would suggest you explore all the options and work out what you think will be best for you and good luck in your quest