Steve Z

Any users of the Ifi Low noise PSU

Be interesting to hear from any forum users who have experience of the Ifi low noise PSU particularly if they can comment if it gave an audible improvement when powering an external DAC. I have a Topping D30 and I have seen it mentioned online that it can benefit from an improved PSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topping D30 is very good fed from a Linear Power Supply, dynamics, detail and soundstage are much improved.

Surprised a few people who have listened to mine.

I have a D50 on loan at moment, not as good in my system by a far margin.

You don’t have to spend a fortune, there are quite a few 13.8 volt LPS on eBay the output can be tweaked to 15 volts via an internal pot. I have two paid £10-15 each, mine are 3 amp versions.

Gary

Super Dealer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, H20gna said:

Topping D30 is very good fed from a Linear Power Supply, dynamics, detail and soundstage are much improved.

Surprised a few people who have listened to mine.

I have a D50 on loan at moment, not as good in my system by a far margin.

You don’t have to spend a fortune, there are quite a few 13.8 volt LPS on eBay the output can be tweaked to 15 volts via an internal pot. I have two paid £10-15 each, mine are 3 amp versions.

Gary

Using third party lps with DACs is something that I am very keen on doing and I have great success with it. I am always interested in hearing of others and their experiences. With a better power supply for the dac I normally hear firmer and deeper bass and usually I hear a less prominent top end but with more detail despite being less forward.

However mention of improved dynamics, detail and soundstage due to a different power supply sometimes rings alarm bells as these characteristics can all be caused by inferior power supplies putting more noise into the dac and causing intermodulation distortion and which can initially be mistaken as being improvements but which may cause fatigue with extended listening.

A cheap LPS can sometimes be worse than a smps. 

Edited by Fourlegs

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

D50 or D50S? The S is significantly better and I suspect much closer, if not slightly better, than the D30. 

For the money though the D30 is hard to beat. 

D50

52 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Using third party lps with DACs is something that I am very keen on doing and I have great success with it. I am always interested in hearing of others and their experiences. With a better power supply for the dac I normally hear firmer and deeper bass and usually I hear a less prominent top end but with more detail despite being less forward.

However mention of improved dynamics, detail and soundstage due to a different power supply sometimes rings alarm bells as these characteristics can all be caused by inferior power supplies putting more noise into the dac and causing intermodulation distortion and which can initially be mistaken as being improvements but which may cause fatigue with extended listening.

A cheap LPS can sometimes be worse than a smps. 

In my experience IMD has exactly the opposite effect making things dull and lifeless, however it’s a moot point.

My response to the OP was to try my suggestion,  LPS’s of 13.8v were sometimes  used in the past in CB radio base stations IIRC.

Good luck to the OP, gamble a few quid!

Gary

Super Wammer

The only experience i have had of the iFi unit is that I replaced the standard wallwart on a Raspberry Pi 4 8gb unit acting as my stand alone Logitech Music Server with one . The Pi works without any issues but I have to say that honestly there was no difference in sound quality between the Pi walwart and the iFi . How it will be with other units like a DAC I just do not know but in my case no changes . Having said that I have intention of changing back to the original Pi power supply it stays were it is.

• Like 2

How about a battery pack?  I wouldn't have thought a DAC would need much current, would it?

• Like 1

I tried the ifi with my long gone 2Qute. It didn't make any difference TBH.

At least none I could hear.

I do use a Teradak p/s with my sotm, that did make a subtle but worthwhile improvement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dazed&Confused said:

How about a battery pack?  I wouldn't have thought a DAC would need much current, would it?

The only issue is that the power supply for the D30 is 15volts, not the usual 5volts.

Gary

Super Dealer
Posted (edited)

If anyone near me (Melton Mowbray) wants to try some 15v LPS (or indeed 5v) with their DAC then I have a few different power supplies from the mundane to the exotic  . . . . . bring your DAC over here and have a play to see what difference you can hear  . . . . . . .

PS, I don't sell power supplies. This is offered in the spirit of letting people hear how much a power supply can improve a DAC. I have SBooster 5v, MCRU 5v, Farad3 15v, Sean Jacobs DC4 5v and 15v, iFi 5v, DIY supercap 5v, Uptone LPS-1.2 variable output voltage plus some others if I can find them . . .

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Upvote 2

I tried one with an Arcam IRdac II. A definite improvement plugged straight in to the wall but terrible when plugged in to a mains block with a filter in it. With the filter, the transients and even most of the sibilants seemed to disappear. 

I have a couple of bits of ifi kit so have a couple of the psu’s. One is fine, the other craps noise all over the mains and consequently there can be an irritating and constant hum from the speakers. The duff one is the 15v version with ifi had real issues getting right. They had to replace a load of the early ones as they kept blowing  

For the money I wouldn’t ever consider buying one as a stand-alone psu to power a third party bit of kit with. 

Thanks for all the comments guys, it looks as though there are opinions at both ends of the spectrum, not sure if I'm very clear how to proceed based on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suggest that you buy one and try it. It'll sell easily enough if it doesn't work for you.