Tazman46

What Sounds Shite On Ya System?

Genesis - foxtrot the cd version is missing so much

I listened to Daft Punk - Giorgio by Morodor on a system at Geoffs with some old B&W speakers sounded amazing bought the album sounded-flat on my system missing so much bass
Hounds of love is an exceptionally produced album in my opinion

Rap  'music' should shite on my system- actually it has sounded shite on every system l have ever owned.:geek:

• Haha 1

It's very hard to get orchestral strings exactly right - smooth, silky but with n unmistakeable string sound of bow and rosin on string. You know your system is the tops when it does strings well. A ribbon tweeter is nice here and so is a single ended valve amp, but anything is possible in theory. 

Bad strings are horrible to listen to - when they go acid or congested it's hard to put up with. 

4 minutes ago, pmcuk said:

It's very hard to get orchestral strings exactly right - smooth, silky but with n unmistakeable string sound of bow and rosin on string. You know your system is the tops when it does strings well. A ribbon tweeter is nice here and so is a single ended valve amp, but anything is possible in theory. 

Bad strings are horrible to listen to - when they go acid or congested it's hard to put up with. 

I would add 'and piano' to that. I find both are hellishly hard to get right, and hellishly easy to get wrong. Depending on the recording, I'm pretty much 'there', but getting the balance right is taking far longer and far too many component swaps that I would have liked.

• Like 1

One that surprised me was Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys. Played the MBQ version from Tidal and it was dreadful. Made my set up sound like a cheap transistor radio.

7 hours ago, rabski said:

I would add 'and piano' to that. I find both are hellishly hard to get right, and hellishly easy to get wrong. Depending on the recording, I'm pretty much 'there', but getting the balance right is taking far longer and far too many component swaps that I would have liked.

Far too many component swaps - yeah, tell me about it. It's all I do for hours and days on end!

I'm OK for piano and voice. Seem to be lucky there. But strings..... that's the North Face of the Eiger in winter in a bad mood..... 

If piano doesn't sound right on my system then I blame the recording.

• Like 1