27 minutes ago, Nestor Turton said:

I had a look at the Linn August 2020 Price List and was surprised to find the KDS/3 and KDSM/3 at the same price.

The KDS/3 was brought back into the catalogue, I suspect, somewhat reluctantly by Linn, after fairly vociferous complaints that they were discontinuing their best streamer (which they were). I suspect that they really wanted to position the KDSM as their all purpose high end product. Of course, if you have an LP12 with a Urika II as your only other source, a KDS does as well as a KDSM. At Klimax level, dispensing with the extra circuitry (analogue inputs, HDMI etc.) does seem to make a difference. At Akurate levet, the DS is £900 cheaper than the DSM, so Linn must think that different marketing (and perhaps SQ) considerations apply there.

David

4 hours ago, DavidHB said:

The KDS/3 was brought back into the catalogue, I suspect, somewhat reluctantly by Linn, after fairly vociferous complaints that they were discontinuing their best streamer (which they were). I suspect that they really wanted to position the KDSM as their all purpose high end product. Of course, if you have an LP12 with a Urika II as your only other source, a KDS does as well as a KDSM. At Klimax level, dispensing with the extra circuitry (analogue inputs, HDMI etc.) does seem to make a difference. At Akurate levet, the DS is £900 cheaper than the DSM, so Linn must think that different marketing (and perhaps SQ) considerations apply there.

David

The reluctance to which David refers seems to be reflected in Linn's own website, which under 'Network Music Players' makes no reference to standalone DS's at any level (I say "seems" because I may have missed something, but in any case it may be significant that source-only streamers are so hard to find there).  In fact, if it wasn't for its inclusion in Linn's price list, you could be easily convinced that the only way you could acquire a new Linn streamer would be in tandem with a built-in preamp, which not every prospective buyer will require.  

46 minutes ago, Fitter Stoke said:

The reluctance to which David refers seems to be reflected in Linn's own website, which under 'Network Music Players' makes no reference to standalone DS's at any level (I say "seems" because I may have missed something, but in any case it may be significant that source-only streamers are so hard to find there).  In fact, if it wasn't for its inclusion in Linn's price list, you could be easily convinced that the only way you could acquire a new Linn streamer would be in tandem with a built-in preamp, which not every prospective buyer will require.  

There seem to be innumerable instances where Linn's marketing seems to be out of step with people who have some understanding of Linn's products, including dealers and Linn's own technical staff. 

David 

Posted (edited)

I suspect, as you say, Linn is encouraging buyers to go for the DSM, but it would make me hesitate if I could raise the money. I like the HDMI input as I can enjoy Space Optimised sound from DVDs and SkyQ, but if i were going to spend at Klimax level then I’d be drawn by the ultimate sound quality. On the positive side, it makes me content to stay with my ADSM. My guess is Linn will move towards a modular Klimax Exakt Hub so it can be configured with the inputs the customer needs. 

Edited by Nestor Turton

I have a Linn Klimax DSM/3, previously with the Klimax Twin, and now with the Solos, all connected with  the silver Linn XLR interconnect cables.

I think the Twin sounds mighty fine, but obviously the Solos are one step up.

e08c1d9b80c728317a30e65611112c4c2fa59324_2_750x1000.jpeg

• Like 1

Are they SHL5+ or SHL5 Anniversaries being used with the solos above? I'd be keen to know how that works as I use Harbeths and a Google search for Harbeths with Linn amps did not reveal any experiences. I expect there aren't many, if any, dealers which carry Linn and Harbeth which is maybe why they rarely meet. 

There are a lot of differing views on the use of an analogue pre, but I'm encouraged by some of the comments above. I do wonder whether those who espouse the use of a pre have tried DACs/streamers direct which have less than optimal DVCs and if their experiences might be different with the current top units such as the DS3, DAVE, Bartok etc. I get the impression this is an area which has really advanced in recent years. 

On 27/08/2020 at 09:27, wuzznbuddy said:

There are a lot of differing views on the use of an analogue pre, but I'm encouraged by some of the comments above. I do wonder whether those who espouse the use of a pre have tried DACs/streamers direct which have less than optimal DVCs and if their experiences might be different with the current top units such as the DS3, DAVE, Bartok etc. I get the impression this is an area which has really advanced in recent years.

Yes I think it depends which generation of equipment you are using, I have had a Sneaky in the past and currently own a Klimax Renew/0 and to my ears both were preferable when using an analogue pre amp instead of direct to a power amp (2250/D) at that time. I have since purchased a non Linn integrated amp which I now use with my DS and am happy with this set up. As mentioned above in other posts the newer versions of the DS. especially the Katalyst ones are apparently much better than the original models when it come to the digital volume.

On 27/08/2020 at 09:27, wuzznbuddy said:

Are they SHL5+ or SHL5 Anniversaries being used with the solos above? I'd be keen to know how that works as I use Harbeths and a Google search for Harbeths with Linn amps did not reveal any experiences. I expect there aren't many, if any, dealers which carry Linn and Harbeth which is maybe why they rarely meet. 

Tried a pair of SHL5+ last Christmas with my Linn system. Superb combination and a good match. There are a few Linn/Harberth dealers about.

Edited by pdcman