FS. MasterSound PHL5 Pre SOLD!!!

Having really enjoyed this Preamp for 3 1/2 yrs, it is now for sale following my acquisition of an MFA Baby Reference (having had a brainfart and asking The Flash to send me his one for audition).

This really is a superb Pre, as those who've heard it at my BOs will attest, neutral and transparent, I would say its easily on par with an ARC LS26.

I'm the 3rd owner (Mondie > Tony Whittle > me) and neither Simon or Tony are known for entertaining shite kit.

It's in superb condition just a few lite polishing swirls to the piano gloss black trim and stainless steel top plate. Even the remote (volume only) is piano black gloss wood.

Facilities.

Remote volume

1x MM Phono input

4x Line Level input + Record

2x SE Outputs

Stereo/mono/mute switch

Uses 3x ecc82 & 2x ecc83

Comes with original packaging, owners manual, kettle lead, and velvet pouch for remote.

SOLD 

c700ce373011e0cb54315d7f860fdc76.jpgd5fd6a65f84a1a7ea7d6bd774f1ba533.jpgce0c6325d82638bdc6cb869102fa113f.jpg65126f3c3d65404e0015dc67197b4a0f.jpg7db148817e89df68358300ff63a7696d.jpg

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 4

I know how much respect you and other wammers have for this pre, hence my nervousness at sending you the MFA to audition as I knew it was not going to be a walkover.

Good luck with sale, shouldn't take long.

Happy to consider an extended payment plan if this helps you afford this excellent Pre. 

• Haha 1

Up

You do have a , er, 'colourful' way with words John - more 'biker' than Betjeman - but this Mastersound has been doing sterling service in what is becoming a High End Rollercoaster of a system.

Good luck with the sale..

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn you move to the bottom of the heap real quick at the moment. 

Bump + Reduced

What I find significant about this Mastersound is its previous owners - Mondie and Tony Whittle. Mondie tried out his mega Audio Research Anniversary pre in my system at the first Kegworth and is currently engaged in a high end speaker project with Lenard Audio and Tony Whittle is famously associated with Audionote. I met Tony briefly at the Bordon Show staged by HiFi Hanger where he was demonstrating an all AN vinyl replay system. If these two chose this Mastersound pre it must be good.

Ive heard it, and it is.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Match this with the Krell KSA100 on here and for less than £3k you won't need to swap amp boxes ever again. 

• Like 1

It's a damn good valve preamp. It's hand-made in a lovely part of north-east Italy where the surprising number of artisan audio makers care about sound and looks in equal measure.

So the MFA Baby Reference must be special. With your knee, it better have the fancy remote option ;-) Your system is getting pretty mega now John. When it's in danger of outdoing the chips I'll let you know. GLWTS

(That said, every owner of a large-scale, quality system such as this needs to embrace the virtues of high-end, large-scale fishfingers :geek:And ketchup of the 57 nines variety).

• Haha 1

Jamie, I agreed with everything you wrote barring the last seven words where you mentioned Ketchup, :sick: at which point I realised there was no hope for you. 😂

Edited by Lurch
  • Haha 2

Bump. 

• 2 weeks later...

John, May I ask what valves it comes with. Brand etc. Did you go the PSVane route in the end?

• Like 1

When I bought it, it was fitted with an Ei 12ax7 & if I remember correctly 2x Sylvania ECC83S in the phono & 2x Sylvania ECC803S in the pre position, don't know what it comes with as standard. 

Edited by Lurch