Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Ok, I’ve seen the political view previously mentioned but I am genuinely interested in this topic as I have a a desire to build/buy so politics aside, @Iceman 16 please tell me what you think as an owner. More photos the better. Any other owners out there?

Edited by radiant red
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Ok, I’ve seen the political view previously mentioned but I am genuinely interested in this topic as I have a a desire to build/buy so politics aside, @Iceman 16 please tell me what you think as an owner. More photos the better. Any other owners out there?

Hi Jon, 

I’ve only had the Bigbottle mk3 for a few days and it sounds great from day 1. Im still configuring which tubes sounds best for my taste. I believe @steviep2024 and @mikeyb have more experienced with their Bb than I do. Will report back for more once I had a proper long listening session. Cheers;-)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Hi

This is the 3rd generation of the bigbottle I've built.

The first had a couple of teething issues.

The 2and ironed out those problems but if you get the bigbottle 3 it's as perfect as you will get regarding both build and sound.

I'm sure Oliver will give any help and advice regarding construction and recommendations of parts and I can do the same👍.

As for sound, I've had some big names of phono stages here and the bb3 has beaten all of them.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Thanks Steve, 

when I move to Cornwall, I’m going to need to keep my mentality and apart from walking the dog I don’t have yet, this will be one of many projects I’ll be undertaking but would like to Start getting parts now because I’m not sure if the pony express is operating down there 😊

I own two, a Mark 1 and a Mark 3.

The Mark 1 is excellent and I'd be more than happy with it, but Oli convinced me that the Mark 3 was an improvement in the Mark 1.

I'd owned a Mark 2 version for a few months whilst the Mark 3 was being developed. It was built into my Mark 1 case and I kept the Mark 1 PCB in the cupboard in case I ever had the desire to rebuild it myself, yeah dream on, I've never soldered before

So, the Mark 3 design was ready, I asked Oli about it and he did me a deal to take my Mark 2 AND also the Mark 1 PCB, put the Mark 1 back into its original case and upgrade the Mark 2 to a 3 in a two case build to get the power transformer away from the phono PCB.

Hence the reason I now have both sitting here, my intention was to listen to them both and sell the Mark 1, advert for it will be up soon

Now, I've had more stages here than some will have heard as I've always struggled to get the sound I want.

So, here's some of the list that fell by the wayside in no particular order:

NVA Phono 2

Trigon Vanguard II

Whest 2

Ryan Sound Labs

Graham Slee Reflex

Graham Slee Revelation

Primare R32

Long Dog Audio MC

Firebottle Vivant

Trilogy 907

I've even tried going the SUT and Headamp route, I've tried built in phono stages in my TQ Claymore integrated, Denon PMA-850.

And as you can see I've tried SS and valve.

However after all that I think I've found the one that's a keeper. The Bigbottle Audio MK3 just sounds right to me, good tight bass, excellent midrange and the highs are crystal clear with no harshness. I'm using a Russian 6N2P-EV and two Matsushita 7DJ8 valves in it just now, ok those valves and the stage itself are new so some burn in might come yet, if not it won't matter, I'm loving it.

My system consists of Technics SP10 Mark II with Fidelity Research FR64fx arm and Hana ML Cartridge, Herron Audio VTSP-2a Pre amp, Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Power amp, Tannoy Berkeley speakers upgraded with RFC external crossovers, Raspberry Pi with Allo Boss DAC, EWA LS-25 speaker cable.

So, to the bit everyone likes, photos

Photo #1 shows the BB1, photo #2 shows that BB3 with separate PSU.

8bc33a467b5e96f1e20af8618dbd5231.jpg

9d78fd6ddb1ea9f95e5b2d35f7102eb1.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Hi mikey.

Long list, mine is as long and includes many other manufacturers.

I too was never happy and was a huge box swapped.

No need any more, even in my modest system know I won't better this phono stage within my budget.

Every now and then a product that's a little bit special comes along, this is that product!!!

Edited by steviep2024
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Thanks Steve, 

when I move to Cornwall, I’m going to need to keep my mentality and apart from walking the dog I don’t have yet, this will be one of many projects I’ll be undertaking but would like to Start getting parts now because I’m not sure if the pony express is operating down there 😊

PM me Jonathan, I have a number of matched parts your welcome to should you get yourself a  bb3 board.

Edited by steviep2024
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mikeyb said:

I own two, a Mark 1 and a Mark 3.

The Mark 1 is excellent and I'd be more than happy with it, but Oli convinced me that the Mark 3 was an improvement in the Mark 1.

I'd owned a Mark 2 version for a few months whilst the Mark 3 was being developed. It was built into my Mark 1 case and I kept the Mark 1 PCB in the cupboard in case I ever had the desire to rebuild it myself, yeah dream on, I've never soldered before emoji23.png

So, the Mark 3 design was ready, I asked Oli about it and he did me a deal to take my Mark 2 AND also the Mark 1 PCB, put the Mark 1 back into its original case and upgrade the Mark 2 to a 3 in a two case build to get the power transformer away from the phono PCB.

Hence the reason I now have both sitting here, my intention was to listen to them both and sell the Mark 1, advert for it will be up soon emoji6.png

Now, I've had more stages here than some will have heard as I've always struggled to get the sound I want.

So, here's some of the list that fell by the wayside in no particular order:

NVA Phono 2

Trigon Vanguard II

Whest 2

Ryan Sound Labs

Graham Slee Reflex

Graham Slee Revelation

Primare R32

Long Dog Audio MC

Firebottle Vivant

Trilogy 907

I've even tried going the SUT and Headamp route, I've tried built in phono stages in my TQ Claymore integrated, Denon PMA-850.

And as you can see I've tried SS and valve.

However after all that I think I've found the one that's a keeper. The Bigbottle Audio MK3 just sounds right to me, good tight bass, excellent midrange and the highs are crystal clear with no harshness. I'm using a Russian 6N2P-EV and two Matsushita 7DJ8 valves in it just now, ok those valves and the stage itself are new so some burn in might come yet, if not it won't matter, I'm loving it.

My system consists of Technics SP10 Mark II with Fidelity Research FR64fx arm and Hana ML Cartridge, Herron Audio VTSP-2a Pre amp, Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Power amp, Tannoy Berkeley speakers upgraded with RFC external crossovers, Raspberry Pi with Allo Boss DAC, EWA LS-25 speaker cable.

So, to the bit everyone likes, photos emoji106.png emoji23.png

Photo #1 shows the BB1, photo #2 shows that BB3 with separate PSU.

8bc33a467b5e96f1e20af8618dbd5231.jpg

9d78fd6ddb1ea9f95e5b2d35f7102eb1.jpg

And the Trilogy 907 cost £2,895? 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Generally been a solid-state mix on most of my kit all my hifi years with the odd hybrid in the mix but valves have iluded me mostly hence the interest and vinyl for me is my primary source. 

Silly question but could this be converted or built with balanced output?

And the Trilogy 907 cost £2,895? 
I didn't pay that for it, I bought it used , I wanted to try it and as good as it was it originally cost under £2000 when it first came out and I thought that was expensive for how it sounded, but nearly £3k no way.

It was good but I didn't like it in my system
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mikeyb said:

I didn't pay that for it, I bought it used emoji6.png, I wanted to try it and as good as it was it originally cost under £2000 when it first came out and I thought that was expensive for how it sounded, but nearly £3k no way.

It was good but I didn't like it in my system

Mike, how did the RSL and the BB3 compare? See you had the RSL for a time.

Mike, how did the RSL and the BB3 compare? See you had the RSL for a time.

I prefer the BB3 by quite a bit, I prefer the valve sound, the RSL is good for the price asked but I prefer the BB3. Think wider soundstage, more detail, the sound of instruments on the BB3 just sound right, guitar, piano and vocals are so real sounding, if you put on a good recording you just want to keep turning it up. For me it’s worth the money over the RSL, but as always with phono stages you really need to hear them in your own system.

Add your name to the loan list on PFM to try the RSL.

I’ll be honest for me I’d rather have the BB1 than the RSL, the RSL is versatile and sounds decent, but it lacks the, Jeez it’s hard to describe without talking gobbledyspeak but the sound you get from guitars is excellent you really get the attack and thrum ( is that right? ) of the string whether it be, acoustic, bass, rhythm or lead, electronic material that I listen to is excellent, the pace and rhythm is bang on, vocals are excellent too. It just makes you want to put another lp on.

Bear in mind though, these are my ears, listening to my system, with the valves I’ve chosen for it.

I’m not looking at anything else on the phono stage side, and I’ve tried more than a few

• Like 3

I need to lay hands on one, apparently Paradise stage sounds flat compared to BB3 

You bought a PCB didn't you?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Bigman80 said:

You bought a PCB didn't you?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yes but gave PCB away along with most of my DIY stuff as I have no time for this anymore. 
If and when there is a loaner unit I’d be up for a listen , I have no biased feelings when it comes to audio , if something is good I have no problem with what it is and where it came from , I swapped Paradise for Vida as Vida gave me same qualities with reduced box count. I heard couple really expensive stages lately and preferred Vida , if there is something better I’d like to hear it and most likely Vida would be gone . Let me know if you have one available for loan .