Sign in to follow this  
NL.

Experiences with power distributors and similar equipment

I consider to acquire something that will allow me to connect 5 boxes in 1 outlet. Thought about something like Ansuz Mainz8 X or Grahams Hydra. But I read Hydra is designed for Naim equipment.
I'm curious what would make my Linn separates sound better... Could this power distributors make any kind of improvements at all?
What kind of power distributors you use and do you hear any difference? What does Linn recommend?

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I just got a Shunyata Denali (first version) which is a power conditioner with 6 outlets. Impact on quality was quite significant, although the impact depends also on other factors such power cables and I am currently using it with a Marantz pre-amp and Linn 4200's. Once my new DSM + Exaktboxes will arrive next week, the impact will be probably/hopefully even more significantly noticeable. I also have an Environment Potentials (EP2450) which is both a power conditioner and a surge protector with a ground filter. Literally installed this unit today and also noticeable different in more clean and more clarity. It still feels a bit 'tight' but it has to break in a bit. I would recommend the latter unit to start with, mainly because it really removes noise and keeps the voltage/hertz constant and in my opinion with expensive gear like Linn you need surge protection. 

All credits to @Paulssurround, none of this was really my idea and all based on input from him, with some minor research and comparison on my end.

ps the EP2450 is 115V and 60hrtz not sure what voltage you guys are on

Edited by frans5508
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NL. said:

I consider to acquire something that will allow me to connect 5 boxes in 1 outlet. Thought about something like Ansuz Mainz8 X or Grahams Hydra. But I read Hydra is designed for Naim equipment.
I'm curious what would make my Linn separates sound better... Could this power distributors make any kind of improvements at all?
What kind of power distributors you use and do you hear any difference? What does Linn recommend?

Power conditioners have improved tremendously over the last 10 years, and a well chosen conditioner has to potential to make a tremendous improvement in sound quality.

I have heard power conditioners and higher end mains cords in a wide variety of Linn systems, as well as many other high end non-Linn HiFi systems. In every case, there was an improvement in sound quality, with more detail, better separation in instruments, quieter back ground, and improvements in sound stage.

My Linn dealer sells Ansuz products, as well as Isotek, Audioquest, and Torus power conditioners, as well as their higher end mains cords. 

I use a Shunyata Denali power conditioner and an Environmental Potentials 2460 medical grade wave form correction device, with a complement of Shunyata mains cords for every piece of Linn I own.

Officially, Linn does not endorse power conditioners, but they do use external power supplies for their LP-12. Naim has a variety of external power supplies, and they offer higher end
mains cords as an option.

.Linn have recently been using other manufacturer’s mains cords and interconnects at audio shows.

1 hour ago, frans5508 said:

I just got a Shunyata Denali (first version) which is a power conditioner with 6 outlets. Impact on quality was quite significant, although the impact depends also on other factors such power cables and I am currently using it with a Marantz pre-amp and Linn 4200's. Once my new DSM + Exaktboxes will arrive next week, the impact will be probably/hopefully even more significantly noticeable. I also have an Environment Potentials (EP2450) which is both a power conditioner and a surge protector with a ground filter. Literally installed this unit today and also noticeable different in more clean and more clarity. It still feels a bit 'tight' but it has to break in a bit. I would recommend the latter unit to start with, mainly because it really removes noise and keeps the voltage/hertz constant and in my opinion with expensive gear like Linn you need surge protection. 

All credits to @Paulssurround, none of this was really my idea and all based on input from him, with some minor research and comparison on my end.

ps the EP2450 is 115V and 60hrtz not sure what voltage you guys are on

Thank you Frans,

‘I look forward to hearing your observations when your new Akurate DSM and Akurate  Exaktboxs arrive 

Super Wammer

I’m not sure how applicable experiences are across different voltages and countries supplies.  Do your local dealers have any suggestions you can try, with the option to return?  
In my experience, even within a country the results can be highly system dependent.   For example, you might live in a remote rural location with a poor supply, but I might live in a city with an industrial unit nearby creating noise on the line. 

• Upvote 1

I'm using Ansuz Mainz8 X with Naim. Instant, significant improvement that just gets better when you upgrade the connecting power leads.

• Like 1

I use a Shunyata Triton power conditioner and its  effect on the sound quality is monumental. I have been cajoled into upgrading to a Shunyata Denali, that is essential a Triton and a Typhoon in one box. 😊🥳🎼🎶🎶🎵🎶

• Upvote 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I’ve been cajoled to sell my Shunyata Denali power conditioner and buy the new Denali v2. 😂

Stay tuned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.analogueseduction.net/mains-blocks/ps-audio-dectet-power-centre-uk-version.html

They do a euro and uk version, if the eye watering prices of the Denali are getting to you. You still need a decent power cable to feed it, but it provides you with lots of outlets. I then followed Paul with the much cheaper Environmental Potentials Digiplug right at the system receptacle. EP might not make a euro version though?

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 16:47, crxvtec said:

I'm using Ansuz Mainz8 X with Naim. Instant, significant improvement that just gets better when you upgrade the connecting power leads.

I have been reading about the Ansuz products. Looks very interesting.

Ansuz seem to specialize in proper grounding of all electronics and use counter-measures to counter electrical spikes, creating a better electrical sine wave.

I may get one on loan to try out, from one of the dealers

On 14/09/2020 at 20:51, Jail4CEOs2 said:

https://www.analogueseduction.net/mains-blocks/ps-audio-dectet-power-centre-uk-version.html

They do a euro and uk version, if the eye watering prices of the Denali are getting to you. You still need a decent power cable to feed it, but it provides you with lots of outlets. I then followed Paul with the much cheaper Environmental Potentials Digiplug right at the system receptacle. EP might not make a euro version though?

Environmental Potentials did make a 2400 with European outlets for one of the Linn folks, but it took a while before he received it, as it need to meet EU specs

Shunyata does make the UK version of their renowned Denali series

On 14/09/2020 at 19:10, Eldarboy said:

I use a Shunyata Triton power conditioner and its  effect on the sound quality is monumental. I have been cajoled into upgrading to a Shunyata Denali, that is essential a Triton and a Typhoon in one box. 😊🥳🎼🎶🎶🎵🎶

I think you are in for a very happy improvement.

It shipped yesterday. 😊

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Upvote 1

On 21/08/2020 at 00:37, Paulssurround said:

Power conditioners have improved tremendously over the last 10 years, and a well chosen conditioner has to potential to make a tremendous improvement in sound quality.

I have heard power conditioners and higher end mains cords in a wide variety of Linn systems, as well as many other high end non-Linn HiFi systems. In every case, there was an improvement in sound quality, with more detail, better separation in instruments, quieter back ground, and improvements in sound stage.

My Linn dealer sells Ansuz products, as well as Isotek, Audioquest, and Torus power conditioners, as well as their higher end mains cords. 

I use a Shunyata Denali power conditioner and an Environmental Potentials 2460 medical grade wave form correction device, with a complement of Shunyata mains cords for every piece of Linn I own.

Officially, Linn does not endorse power conditioners, but they do use external power supplies for their LP-12. Naim has a variety of external power supplies, and they offer higher end
mains cords as an option.

.Linn have recently been using other manufacturer’s mains cords and interconnects at audio shows.

Thank you Frans,

‘I look forward to hearing your observations when your new Akurate DSM and Akurate  Exaktboxs arrive 

hey paul, what brands of main power cords and interconnects at audio shows did linn use. i would like to try some other brands of power cords on my linn uphorik and linn radikal.

there are so many different companies making cables it's nice to hear from some people who actually have tried different brands on there linn gear. i have a Nordost                            QB8  MkII power distribution unit 20 amp version that i really like, it really helped with a hum from a ground loop issue i was having. i also plug my hegel  h30 amp into it and have

no loss of dynamics at all.      john

don't know what's up with all the spacing.  It didn't look like that at my end.  Whatever!

I am a big fan of Audio Sensibility power cords. They are magnificent value at their cost. I have the Testsment and Signature levels, and they have elevated my Akurate system to Klimax sounding at a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johni b said:

hey paul, what brands of main power cords and interconnects at audio shows did linn use. i would like to try some other brands of power cords on my linn uphorik and linn radikal.

there are so many different companies making cables it's nice to hear from some people who actually have tried different brands on there linn gear. i have a Nordost                            QB8  MkII power distribution unit 20 amp version that i really like, it really helped with a hum from a ground loop issue i was having. i also plug my hegel  h30 amp into it and have

no loss of dynamics at all.      john

From my understanding, at one of the audio shows, Linn was using Audioquest Ethernet cables, but at the another show, I heard they were using Atlas cables.

I use Shunyata Cobras, Alpha Digitals and Alpha NR for my mains cords, and Certicable Cat8 Ethernet cables.

For what it’s worth, I use an Olsen PDU (https://olsondirect.co.uk/sound-fantastic-8-way-13a-unswitched-socket-rfi-filtered-earthline-choke-transient-supressor-hi-fi-audio-pdu.html). They’ll make PDUs to your specification if you have special requirements. I prefer these no nonsense products to premium hifi brands, which I have always found disappointing. 

Sign in to follow this