Sign in to follow this  
Lincoln Tyke

Space Opimisation

I think I can help you. Got a PN

Afternoon All

The results are in

So after various preference settings on the slide bar I've come up with a sweet spot of 45/55 and it sounds so much better than SO on Konfig, I've now got a nice bit of bottom end without the bass running away, it's still nice and tight. Been using Tidal to stream, not tried any vinyl yet but I don't think the results will be any different. 

Tracks used for SO comparisons

Fleetwood Mac 'The Chain'

Massive Attack 'Protection and 'Teardrop'

Metalica 'Nothing Else Matters"

And for a bit of upright Double Bass, Monty Alexander Trio 'Night Mist Blues'

Thanks for the expertise guys 

• Like 2

Yes, I too just started sliding the sliders and have achieved what you seem to have as well.

Here is a tip on how to build it in SO2 to quickly create the variations and test them by simply switching to SO2.

2 hours ago, JPO2005 said:

Here is a tip on how to build it in SO2 to quickly create the variations and test them by simply switching to SO2.

Thanks very much I'll have another week.

One thing I did find yesterday was I got a couple of room measurements wrong on SO 1 on Konfig so I did all my measurements again and vastly improved the SO,  SO 2 is still a further improvement. I accidentally deleted the SO my dealer did for me on installation and had to do it again, as I say though I was out on a couple of measurements and that made a big difference.

As I said I can help you there and had sent you a PN.

Interesting to see how frustration with SPACE optimisation comes up again from time to time. I am firmly in the pro-SPACE camp, but simply cannot get SPACE V2 to work satisfactorily, no matter how much I try to tweak it. I believe that my room setup and speaker positioning are pretty good, and I find that my tweaked SPACE 1 profile adds rather than detracts from an already good and well controlled sound. The ah-hah moment in my SPACE 1 adjustment came when I applied the "Timster Tweak" of eliminating the room mode filter at around 55 Hz, and then by reducing a massive notch at around 35 Hz. I would like to be able to move on to SPACE V2, as this is what Linn will continue to support and develop, but I am unable to move away from V1 for now.

V2 works v well for me on my KDS (better than the Konfig version, which also comes with the downside of being able to drive yourself half mad through obsessive tweaking), but I must admit I'd no idea about the slider until I spotted this thread (I really ought to read all the instructions). If I had any complaint it was the apparent reduction in bass so I will have a play. An initial shift to 45/55 has definitely upped the bottom end, but possibly at the expense of some clarity. 

1 hour ago, wuzznbuddy said:

V2 works v well for me on my KDS (better than the Konfig version, which also comes with the downside of being able to drive yourself half mad through obsessive tweaking), but I must admit I'd no idea about the slider until I spotted this thread (I really ought to read all the instructions). If I had any complaint it was the apparent reduction in bass so I will have a play. An initial shift to 45/55 has definitely upped the bottom end, but possibly at the expense of some clarity. 

I think ppl are better to follow the manual and only adjust the material sliders if the realistic material don't approximate the theoretical.

Also please note that the list of materials is hierachel, which I mean that the top material is the most represented in the SO model and the bottom one is the least represented. In my case the materials in the model are 85% of what real life is and adjusted per manual and did not experiment any further. "preference slider" which in my case is set as 85/15 (default IIRC).

I'm quite happy with my set up, and don't feel the need for experiments. 

3 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

I think ppl are better to follow the manual and only adjust the material sliders if the realistic material don't approximate the theoretical.

How do you do that?

"Also please note that the list of materials is hierachel, which I mean that the top material is the most represented in the SO model and the bottom one is the least represented."
- It's in the instructions!

"I'm quite happy with my set up, and don't feel the need for experiments."
- Okay without experiments the forum would be only half as big and actually a forum is there for that, because Linn doesn't always give out all the information and some of them are simply wrong.
- And experiments is the wrong word, because here are some posts that have many years of experience with the matter

"I'm quite happy with my set up, and don't feel the need for experiments. "
- Well then everything is great and you sit in the sun.

5 minutes ago, JPO2005 said:

How do you do that?

"Also please note that the list of materials is hierachel, which I mean that the top material is the most represented in the SO model and the bottom one is the least represented."
- It's in the instructions!

"I'm quite happy with my set up, and don't feel the need for experiments."
- Okay without experiments the forum would be only half as big and actually a forum is there for that, because Linn doesn't always give out all the information and some of them are simply wrong.
- And experiments is the wrong word, because here are some posts that have many years of experience with the matter

"I'm quite happy with my set up, and don't feel the need for experiments. "
- Well then everything is great and you sit in the sun.

1) Not everybody reads the instructions, so I think it is worth mentioning the aforementioned detail.

2) I think a lot of "experiments" find their basis in audiophile nervousia and I also think, that the lot of these experiments suffer from confirmation bias. 

You can shift these material sliders al day from left to right in any given order, if al is shifted you have a gazillion different "set-ups" you need to examan/tune dem. I put my faith in the algorithms which are sorted by far greater mind then mine and just carry on with RTFM.

3) Sorry, no sun anymore in the Netherlands, quite cloudy and windy, just the way I like it.

My overall point is to trust a manufacturer and their principles/algorithms/manuals and give year head some rest and you ears some airtime. 

And as always your millage may very and horses for courses.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

I'm quite happy with my set up, and don't feel the need for experiments. 

I’m with you on this. My system sounds great to me. I am sure I could get that bit more out of it if I spend more time tweaking SO, moving my speakers a mm at a time in various directions. But I would rather just listen to music. Anyone that sits there, listening to a song or an album, worrying themselves that they are not hearing every single note, is not in the place, music is supposed to take you. Listening to music puts me in a relaxed state, but fretting that a bit of excess bass is preventing me from hearing a minute bit more detail is not what it’s about for me. Don’t get me wrong, a bit of initial set up is needed, but once your happy, pour yourself a dram of single malt, sit back and enjoy your music. For a year! Don’t touch nothing for a year! Give it a try. You will enjoy your HiFi more.

Edited by Billz
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Billz said:

I’m with you on this. My system sounds great to me. I am sure I could get that bit more out of it if I spend more time tweaking SO, moving my speakers a mm at a time in various directions. But I would rather just listen to music. Anyone that sits there, listening to a song or an album, worrying themselves that they are not hearing every single note, is not in the place, music is supposed to take you. Listening to music puts me in a relaxed state, but fretting that a bit of excess bass is preventing me from hearing a minute bit more detail is not what it’s about for me. Don’t get me wrong, a bit of initial set up is needed, but once your happy, pour yourself a dram of single malt, sit back and enjoy your music. For a year! Don’t touch nothing for a year! Give it a try. You will enjoy your HiFi more.

I look forward to returning to the "no touch" zone. But I just spent a pile of money on Akubariks and I want to get the most out of them. I'll be there in about a week. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

2) I think a lot of "experiments" find their basis in audiophile nervousia and I also think, that the lot of these experiments suffer from confirmation bias. 

Exactly this is not the case, I make it sound so gigantic that I would not have to change anything. But it already has before. After over a year of listening to and reading the 0.6 for the 3k array sounds best, I tried it and I have to say that it is insane.

Now at my age I'm not as crazy as you, the sentence says it all  "2) I think a lot of "experiments" find their basis in audiophile nervousia and I also think, that the lot of these experiments suffer from confirmation bias.", but I would like to pass on such findings so that others can benefit from them. And all this for free!

"I put my faith in algorithms sorted by a mind far greater than mine."
- Unfortunately, they're not at your place and they're setting the materials correctly. Therefore you have to try. A bit more dynamic my lord.

By the way: My vanity duty is fulfilled

Edited by JPO2005

Sign in to follow this