Bi Focal

Optical cable sound dropout

I know there are loads of these problems reported on the web but I can’t find a fix that work for me.

I have a Samsung TV - the newer version that has a separate OneBox. Model QE49Q7FAM
I wanted better sound and bought a pair of Ruark Active speakers. However the only cable that works both ends is an optical cable (the OneBox has HDMI - the speakers don’t. The speakers have a digital RCA socket but the OneBox has no digital socket). I didn’t imagine I’d have a difficulty !

Like  many other people I’m getting Frequent sound dropouts on the speakers with optical. I’ve looked on line and changed speaker settings on the TV but they don’t make a difference (except I nearly blew the speakers when I selected bitstream and it was an awful loud distorting noise!). 
I’ve swapped the optical cable to a new one. I’ve cleaned the ends of the optical cables. I’ve checked that the cable connectors are tight. Nothing makes a difference

I have also looked at the Samsung community site - hopeless. Several people say they contact Samsung who claim they’ve never heard of the problem before! I tried the TV sound test - that basically only tests the TV speakers which are working as they should

I don’t want more boxes - surely there has to be a fix? Any Samsung owners found a solution? 

Posted (edited)

I use a similar DAC to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Converter-Digital-Optical-Coaxial/dp/B01H6ILOTE/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=t-QdrnpNbgyEtIpNE.38.Q&hsa_cr_id=6055464300702&pd_rd_r=2ae568aa-5b77-45c0-b8aa-adce820b0b4a&pd_rd_w=xcmsA&pd_rd_wg=Rfapi&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

fed from my TV by an optical cable then to a passive volume control via RCA's to my active speakers. Works fo me. I guess if you have a volume control on your speakers then you could go direct to them from the DAC output

Edited by mr.me

Thanks mr.me but why should sticking another box in the signal Path make a difference? Also the Samsung has a sort of intelligent cable from the screen to a OneBox (the TV is effectively only a screen - the box has all the connections and sockets). Not sure if that makes any difference but using your solution I’m guessing the DAC goes between the OneBox and the active speakers? 

so why should this work? 

Posted (edited)

Not having a Samsung TV I don't know anything about a OneBox. What does this do?

Edited by mr.me

I'm assuming it is the equivalent of all the connections and sockets that you'd normally get on the side of the TV screen. Samsung try to make it all tidier with a thin cable to the box that has all the HDMI etc sockets coming out. 

It looks a bit like this but there are various models around with different connectors

https://www.youritdelivered.com/samsung-bn96-35817g-assemblyboard-p-one-connect-mini-bn96-35817g/?CAWELAID=620008670000458860&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=101563550537&CATCI=pla-925550726612&CATARGETID=620008670000538819&CADevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIteCp_-Ou6wIVCbrtCh2-KwZlEAYYAiABEgJFAPD_BwE

Mine only has HDMI or optical out 

I noticed that the DAC you posted had an optical in (all fine) and a mini headphone jack out - which I could use to connect into a mini headphone in socket on the active speakers. I still don't understand though what the DAC will do to make the sound connect any differently? 

I don’t have a Samsung but on my Sony tv I just plug the optical cable into the socket on the tv and then into my dac, no problems. Does the Samsung not have a connection on the side or back or it’s via the one Box?

Just now, StingRay said:

I don’t have a Samsung but on my Sony tv I just plug the optical cable into the socket on the tv and then into my dac, no problems. Does the Samsung not have a connection on the side or back or it’s via the one Box?

The One Connect box with the Samsung is the tuner element of the TV (enabling the screen to be very thin on the wall) . The input from the screen to the One Connect box is a tiny thin special Samsung cable - that's all fine. 

The outputs on the One Connect box are as described above. Whilst my active speakers have a digital RCA input the One Box doesn't have an RCA digital output. The only connections that are the same at the One Box and speaker ends are the TOSLINK optical cable. All over the web it is a common problem with optical cable dropout but none of the suggestions I've seen on line seem to work for me

Strange this ,  so under Sound Output ->TV speaker ->Audio Out/Optical , is there then a PCM / Bitstream / Dolby option ? If so set to PCM . No more you can do at the TV end , cable into Ruark optical . Can't think of why this doesn't work properly .

Yep the TV is set to PCM. The speakers are Ruark MR1. Highly recommended for this type of set up

there is sound - it just drops out every few seconds. If you do a search of optical cable sound dropout you’ll see loads of people with the problem but I’ve tried the solutions I’ve seen so far (see further up the thread). A very irritating issue. The drop out doesn’t happen with the TV speakers. It is the optical issue that is the problem - probably something to do with the Samsung design but I can’t establish what it is

These are the speakers 

https://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/mr1-bluetooth-speaker-system

A better picture of the rear connections here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruark-Portable-Stereo-Digital-Broadcast/dp/B06XSFX2KQ

ive no idea if they have a DAC? 

Long shot but is this only happening when you're streaming on the TV? And not happening when watching aerial TV?

13 minutes ago, Bi Focal said:

These are the speakers 

https://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/mr1-bluetooth-speaker-system

A better picture of the rear connections here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruark-Portable-Stereo-Digital-Broadcast/dp/B06XSFX2KQ

ive no idea if they have a DAC? 

They have optical input so they must have a DAC.

• Upvote 1

So are you going direct wiith an optical cable from your TV to the speaker?