Sign in to follow this  
hifipm

Majik DSM 4

Just got our demo Majik DSM 4 in - have not yet compared but it does sound excellent, a bit punchier and more detailed so far....

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Is 4 what we will forthwith know it as, or is that something official?

Nopiano the last version was referred to as MDSM/3  I am calling it MDSM/4 to reduce confusion as Linn call it New Majik DSM on there website.- the product label on the box is the only place I see /2 or /3 or/4 to identify the version type- Konfig only says 2020 variant

Super Wammer

Davaar 78 release notes have been updated and call it Majik DSM/4

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes

• Like 1

Super Wammer
17 hours ago, hifipm said:

Nopiano the last version was referred to as MDSM/3  I am calling it MDSM/4 to reduce confusion as Linn call it New Majik DSM on there website.- the product label on the box is the only place I see /2 or /3 or/4 to identify the version type- Konfig only says 2020 variant

MDSM/4 seems clear enough, and those of us who are familiar with the ranges will recognise that convention I’m sure.  As you say, the product sticker will most likely be like that!

Since your first post, @sunbeamgls has confirmed how it has started to appear.  Thanks!

Pm, driving your dem room 140's in that room? How does it sound on your 242's? That would be a bit unfair, and a bit of surgery, but fun. What speakers does BM have to play with?

• Like 1

Is the Majik DSM/4 in a LK box size?

I am thinking of using a Majik DSM/4 with passive Akudoriks, currently driven by KDSM/Renew and A2200. My wife does not like the missing display of the KDSM/Renew. Do you think I will loose much?

Wouldn’t an Akurate DSM/K be a better match and sound better. Used would be similar cost, or a little more. 

2 hours ago, dol said:

I am thinking of using a Majik DSM/4 with passive Akudoriks, currently driven by KDSM/Renew and A2200. My wife does not like the missing display of the KDSM/Renew. Do you think I will loose much?

If you can, book a demo with your speakers.

I read somewhere that the Akubariks with the Selekt (same class d power amp of the new Majik DSM) are a pretty good match ...

M.

Ok had a chance to compare our MDSM/2 to the/4 using Majik 109's- On the first piece of music (Santana 'BlackMagicWoman) the /4 was a bit more dynamic and had better separation of instruments in the mix so a win for /4 On the second piece RoxyMusic Avalon was just different so no clear winner although 1 staff member did prefer the/2. So if I owned a MDSM/2 or/3  I would not trade in for the /4 but as always a great intro to Linn gear and the styling appeals to lots of people.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, hifipm said:

Ok had a chance to compare our MDSM/2 to the/4 using Majik 109's- On the first piece of music (Santana 'BlackMagicWoman) the /4 was a bit more dynamic and had better separation of instruments in the mix so a win for /4 On the second piece RoxyMusic Avalon was just different so no clear winner although 1 staff member did prefer the/2. So if I owned a MDSM/2 or/3  I would not trade in for the /4 but as always a great intro to Linn gear and the styling appeals to lots of people.

Interesting observations. I don't suppose you had a chance to test the phono stage? I'm thinking that there may be rather noticeable improvement there.

Edited by akamatsu

Here's a very comprehensive first impression review from Japan. This guy (Matsuzaki-san) seems to have more to say about Linn than anyone else on YouTube.

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Here's a very comprehensive first impression review from Japan. This guy (Matsuzaki-san) seems to have more to say about Linn than anyone else on YouTube.

Love the video, despite not understanding a word. Can you ask him to open up the DSM and check the DAC used? :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dol said:

Love the video, despite not understanding a word. Can you ask him to open up the DSM and check the DAC used? :)

When he opened the box, he smelled the inside and said "it has the fragrance of Scotland.":)

Edited by akamatsu
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this