Valve amp or SS for Proac Tablette 10

3 hours ago, DomT said:

I had the Tablette 10 on demo. Towing them in can help r Duce what you are experiencing. If that doesn’t work then Harbeth P3ESR could be a good option and that’s what I chose. I found that the Proac has no more treble info than the Harbeth and was just voiced to sound brighter. I don’t know your DAC but it could also be the culprit. I wouldn’t sell your amp or the Bluesound. 

Well, I’ve bought something! I decided to leave the amp and Bluesound and DAC alone and try some different speakers. I’ve bought some used  Neat Iota Alphas. I’d heard them during a demo in the past and they sounded lovely. Looking at my room again I decided that I could fit in some small floorstanders. I pick them up on Tuesday. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you have also fallen in line with an incontrovertible truism.  Interact with the WAM and you will end up spending money! My family now only eats meat once a week, the kids go to school wi

I really do belong on this forum - I've already bought a new amp and sold the Neats! I bought the amp from Bigman80 on here. It's a Primaluna Prolgue 5 power amp. I'm feeding it directly from the

😂😂😂 I really fit in here. The list of boxes in and out of this house is ridiculous. 

Posted Images

Just now, jhnpennington1 said:

Well, I’ve bought something! I decided to leave the amp and Bluesound and DAC alone and try some different speakers. I’ve bought some used  Neat Iota Alphas. I’d heard them during a demo in the past and they sounded lovely. Looking at my room again I decided that I could fit in some small floorstanders. I pick them up on Tuesday. 

Funny that you bought those as I have been reading about them for my lounge!  Did you get to listen to them? They apparently have a huge amount of detail so am wondering about how they present that.  

Just now, DomT said:

Funny that you bought those as I have been reading about them for my lounge!  Did you get to listen to them? They apparently have a huge amount of detail so am wondering about how they present that.  

The detail and soundstage was fantastic with very airy treble. Can’t remember the amp. The ones I’m getting are virtually brand new for half price, so I’m very happy. Neat have said they will post me out some grilles free of charge as well👍

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, jhnpennington1 said:

The detail and soundstage was fantastic with very airy treble. Can’t remember the amp. The ones I’m getting are virtually brand new for half price, so I’m very happy. Neat have said they will post me out some grilles free of charge as well👍

I think you have also fallen in line with an incontrovertible truism.  Interact with the WAM and you will end up spending money!

My family now only eats meat once a week, the kids go to school with holes in their shoes and holidays are a camping trip to the end of the garden.  But when we all gather in front of the stereo and listen to a piece of 'Dads' Weird Music',  I can see the gratitude in their eyes...   

Edited by lostwin
edit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, lostwin said:

I think you have also fallen in line with an incontrovertible truism.  Interact with the WAM and you will end up spending money!

My family now only eats meat once a week, the kids go to school with holes in their shoes and holidays are a camping trip to the end of the garden.  But when we all gather in front of the stereo and listen to a piece of 'Dads' Weird Music',  I can see the gratitude in their eyes...   

😂😂😂

I really fit in here. The list of boxes in and out of this house is ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would suggest a NAD 370 or any good class A amp would be a good match for ProAcs.

Seem to remember there was a review done years ago with ProAc 140s and the amp used was a Primare. That seemed to yield good results.

7 hours ago, jhnpennington1 said:

What a coincidence. I’ve just scratched an itch I’ve had for a while and bought a pair of used Neat Iota Alpha as well.

They arrived today and sound very good for the unbelievably small size. My knees are taller than them.
I look forward to your opinion when yours arrive. I’ve got mine 28cm from the wall and a foot further apart than I have my Shahinian Arcs.

Edited by Mand

Did think about using the baby iota as left and right in an av system . Glad the op is keeping the amp

5 hours ago, Mand said:

What a coincidence. I’ve just scratched an itch I’ve had for a while and bought a pair of used Neat Iota Alpha as well.

They arrived today and sound very good for the unbelievably small size. My knees are taller than them.
I look forward to your opinion when yours arrive. I’ve got mine 28cm from the wall and a foot further apart than I have my Shahinian Arcs.

Can’t wait to pick them up!

12 hours ago, lostwin said:

My family now only eats meat once a week, the kids go to school with holes in their shoes and holidays are a camping trip to the end of the garden.

Cue Monty Pyton references :D

11 hours ago, toprepairman said:

Push pull, not single ended.

Is  certainly single ended. No split rail psu in there. Single output device hence the low output. 

Congrats on your new speakers! I hope they work out fine for you. 

Be a little careful about just adding "a valve DAC" or "a valve amp". Valve amplification comes in all kinds of different forms from routine to magical. Valves as such are no guarantee of anything. I wouldn't use a valve DAC - I'd keep the valves for the output stages since solid state is particularly good at low level amplification - FETs, op-amps etc. 

It might help to familiarise yourself with some basic elements of valves - 

- Push pull PP or single ended SE: single ended can sound more magical but usually needs speakers of at least average sensitivity and a not too big listening room. PP can double or treble the output but you may sacrifice the magic you're looking for.

- Directly heated or indirectly heated: older valves (e.g.300b) used directly heated filaments, newer types (e.g. EL34) used separate heaters. Again, more magic with directly heated but often less output. 

- Triode or pentode/tetrode: triode again more magic, and DHT means "directly heated triode", which is where most of the magic is to be found e.g. 300b, 2a3, 45, 845. Pentode/tetrode sacrifices magic but gives you a lot more output. 

So if you want to maximise your chances of a truly magical valve experience, look at single ended, directly heated and triodes. 300b amps in particular. Plenty about, and replacement valves start around £120 a pair. There are lots of Chinese 300b amps but quality varies. There are also a lot of very overpriced boutique 300b amps about. I'm sure forum members here will help with choices if you go down that road. Best bet would be something second hand and of known providence from somebody who knows his (or her) valve amps. Since a 300b amp can contain 400v in the circuit the amp has to be very well made, reliable, and fully enclosed from prying fingers. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by pmcuk
  • Like 1