FS Tannoy Definition D700 - Rosewood (Matched Pair)

philwalm

Selling my original Tannoy D700s

Owned since new in 1994, Great condition throughout. Grills cloths are also perfect. Comes complete with floor spikes and hard cupped feet for hard floors. Also will provide 4 new Tannoy foam bungs.

Upgraded Crossover on the HF side with CLARITY MR capacitors. Make an amazing pair of speakers sound even better than before. Upgrade cost £200 for the CLARITY MR Capacitors.

D700s have 2 reward ports for restive cabinet tuning

They don’t have their original boxes. However I Will use 4 layer Heavy duty Bubble-wrap on the D700s for easier & protected transit.

These are pick-up only. due weight of 41kg each - Billingshurst Area

More pictures to follow

The D700s were the SWEET SPOT in the Tannoy definition range. Today there is not much that will come close without paying 5 to 6 times the asking price.

Asking £1200 or closest offer!

Regards

Phil

Spec:

Enclosure Type: 2 way resistively ported reflex hfdb.co/3358.php
Recommended Amplifier: 30 - 200 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 300 Watts
Frequency Response: 35Hz - 30kHz
Sensitivity: 93dB
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Drivers: 1 x 254mm Cast Chassis Dual Concentric
1 x 254mm Supplementary Cast Chassis Bass Unit
Dimensions: 374 x 990 × 367mm (Width x Height x Depth)
Weight: 41kg
Year: 1994

IMG_7949.JPG

IMG_7950.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

Edited by philwalm
New pictures
  • Like 2

Love these, owned an identical pair for 5 years and a mate then run them for another 20. Bargain at £1,200.

Yes they are magnificent Speakers, reluctantly having to move on some of my Classic Tannoys including my beloved 615s that I've owned since new 1992.

Just don't have enough rooms in the house & space.

Will post some pictures soon, Just not home at the moment.

• Like 1

Good luck Phil. Let me know if you have a pair of D900's you want gone :x

Hi Mondie, had 2 pairs of those over the years. Both American Cherry finish. Great speakers too. Last pair I sold to my friend in Brighton 2015. He’s very happy after upgrading from his Tannoy 638s

D900 is a very easy listening Speaker like the D700 with A bit more scale.

Very rare to find in the UK.

• Like 1

They sure are rare Phil, there was a time where I looked every few weeks and never found anything. I demo'ed a pair back in Oz with the intention of buying but wasn't enamoured enough at the time and now realise I didn't have the amp to make the most of them. 22yrs later it still feels like unfinished business.

Edited by Mondie

Amplifiers are very important with Tannoys. Good powerful solid state is the way to go IMHO. Current is the big thing. A lot of Tannoy designs hit the low impedance especially at the lower octaves and port tuning. Not enough current on demand will cause heavy drive units to behave turgidly and ultimately will start distorting if not enough control is available from the amplifier. The D900 has a weighted 12” bass cone that needed authority. The mass in the cone was the mechanical solution to bring that 12” driver to crossover around 200hz. The same design is used with the D700 just a 10” version.

Most ported Tannoy designs Will have an impedance saddle of 2-4 ohms. So a powerful amp is needed to get an accurate controlled response in room. Otherwise the bass will sound bloated. A common observation on so may Tannoy reviews when auditioned with Tube Amps & low power Class A.

the High Sensitivity of Horn speakers like Tannoy can be mistaken & believing the speakers are easy to drive. Not the Case. 

Fyne Audio (ex Tannoy) who have similar designs recommend the same principles.

IMG_7947.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7946.JPG

Edited by philwalm
Added pictures
  • Like 1

Must resist 🥴

I have never heard any of the Definition range how do they compare to the Cheviot or Sterling TW's Phil??

Even I, an inveterate Tannoy Hater, could get on OK with these for a while.

I suspect it's the non-rectangular cabinet design - inherently less resonant than the typical Tannoy Wardrobe.  And you're asking a lot less of the dual concentric driver, with the separate LF unit.

Very nice - GLWS.

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

Death to all invertabrate Tannoy haters I say😝

I have to say I like the look of these👍

Edited by darthvadersdad

D700s are a very easy Listening Tannoy, the best way i can describe them. D700's Enclosures are very tough indeed using 25mm all round with additional crowns and bases making their thickness up to 50mm. They also have real wood mouldings for aesthetics where End-grain is visible on the cabinet edges. The Trapezoid cabinet do serve to reduce reflections and unwanted resonances. Resistive porting provides a very extended bottom-end. Typically down to 30hz -6db in room which is great for 72L internal volume.

Certainly the clarity and micro-detail was much improved with the Crossover upgrade, removes any grain that may have been detectable using lower price ICW CSA capacitors from original.

The CLARITY CMRs & MRs are the best Capacitors I've heard for a 'Neutral Sound' I've used these in many Prestige Tannoy Speakers. They are standard use on the new Gold Reference Westminster & Canterbury speakers. They were also standard on the DC10A and Kingdom Royal.

Stirling TW has a similar sound form the 10" DC albeit twin roll surround giving the cone a slightly different transient response, due to paper pulp vs injection moulded polypropylene cones that have a heavier mass & resonant frequency. The D700 has more dynamics and sounds a little sweeter yet softer due to the different HF/LF crossover point & the Supplementary 10" Bass driver. This Cone is mass loaded providing a steep roll off at 200hz as not to interfere with the Bass-mid form the 10" Dual concentric.

I've owned many Tannoy's including the D900, TD12 & DC10Ti and still own the DC10A. All sound different with their own character and emphasis on design. I can say the D700 has the Dimension and specifications just right in terms of response and dynamics. They are a pleasure to look at too!

The D700 is noteworthy by everyone as a very involving and insightful, easy listening experience by everyone who's visited & Heard them.

Impedance on the Port tuning (impedance Saddle) can go as low as 2ohms. Which is fine so long as you have a relatively powerful amplifier. To get proper authority of heavy cones in a ported cabinet you need Transient Current & Damping factor.

Class A/B 100W-200W is a good starting point. Recommend QUAD, MF, ROTEL, BRYSTON to mention a few.

Powerful solid state amplifiers are what Tannoy Recommend as do Fyne audio who use the same Cabinet/driver configs today.

Edited by philwalm

Thanks for your reply Phil I have found my 20wpc valve monos work really well with my Cheviots and Sterlings. 

Edited by darthvadersdad