I'll start with one of my non-Linn stereo devices, a Safe-Tec Tyr 3 bicycle helmet.

This week I received my newest addition stereo. It is not exactly HiFi sound quality, but it is portable and the sound quality is decent enough, using Jawbone technology.

The really cool thing is that I can hear the music really clearly, even with wind rushing in my ears, and can still hear traffic around me as I pedal

It uses Bluetooth to stream music from my iPhone, and accepts voice command, to change volume and switch tracks, or ask for specific artists or songs. The website does not indicate that it accepts Siri voice commands, but it works well, as long as you have an internet connection as you ride. I use the LTE on my iPhone

With built in front and rear lights, turn signals and brake lights it has obtained more than a few enquiries from people as I ride. 

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start with one of my non-Linn stereo devices, a Safe-Tec Tyr 3 bicycle helmet. This week I received my newest addition stereo. It is not exactly HiFi sound quality, but it is portable and th

An Ariston, Sony BDP, Panasonic PVR, Melco, PS Audio PowerPlant, Some Exakted PMCs, lots of Cyrus, Naim wires and Swedish amps

Bose Sunglasses speakers - love them - nothing in your ears - for speech, gentle background Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

5c76b9bbf945f3eae0191c8305d1c5b1.plist
Bose Sunglasses speakers - love them - nothing in your ears - for speech, gentle background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
38 minutes ago, Hidden Systems said:

5c76b9bbf945f3eae0191c8305d1c5b1.plist
Bose Sunglasses speakers - love them - nothing in your ears - for speech, gentle background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, very cool

It filled the main room of a large Florentine palazzo with Dark Side of the Moon admirably, but in real life it's great for podcasts. I'm sure it could create an obnoxious bubble of sound if clamped to a bike!

20200831_130954.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This lot forms my bedroom system, coupled with a Sony HDTV.

The STR-DA5500ES is a beast, and has been doing sterling service for over 10 years.

Multichannel SACD/DVD-A sounds great through this system :D

C1D6293B-769B-462C-971C-3EF76AE95E95.jpeg

A01C9770-E053-4918-8714-1178E1F1032C.jpeg

EE15DE58-4610-4AE9-AC7C-620E9B8C905B.jpeg

Edited by kelly200269
  • Like 2
On 30/08/2020 at 22:34, Jail4CEOs2 said:

It filled the main room of a large Florentine palazzo with Dark Side of the Moon admirably, but in real life it's great for podcasts. I'm sure it could create an obnoxious bubble of sound if clamped to a bike!

20200831_130954.jpg

I have met many people that have played their music loudly with one of these while out bike riding, and the music is usually not my cup of tea.  

That’s why I bought an electric bike, to keep as much distance between myself and their music. 😂

2 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

This lot forms my bedroom system, coupled with a Sony HDTV.

The STR-DA5500ES is a beast, and has been doing sterling service for over 10 years.

Multichannel SACD/DVD-A sounds great through this system :D

C1D6293B-769B-462C-971C-3EF76AE95E95.jpeg

A01C9770-E053-4918-8714-1178E1F1032C.jpeg

EE15DE58-4610-4AE9-AC7C-620E9B8C905B.jpeg

What a great way to watch a movie or listen to music in bed

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I have met many people that have played their music loudly with one of these while out bike riding, and the music is usually not my cup of tea.  

That’s why I bought an electric bike, to keep as much distance between myself and their music. 😂

What a great way to watch a movie or listen to music in bed

Cheers Paul.

It was a shame when Sony got out of the audio component market. Their ‘ES’ range was really rather good.

• 1 month later...

As a follow-up to my comment above about Sony's ES range, I wanted a DAC/Headphone amp for the bedroom, to link with my Sony Walkman's. I ended up buying this Sony HT-ZH1ES with some trepidation. BUT it's sublime! It's built like a battleship, and sounds amazing especially via the balanced outputs. Nice one Sony!

s-l300.jpg

• Like 2
On 04/09/2020 at 07:52, kelly200269 said:

Cheers Paul.

It was a shame when Sony got out of the audio component market. Their ‘ES’ range was really rather good.

Sony has certainly built their share of great products, with a lot of innovation.

They had a monopoly with the Sony Walkman, but I think the Apple iPod changed that .

I don’t think they did themselves any favours with the Beta versus VHS, SACD versus DVD-Audio world, DVD’s versus BluRay didn’t help sales of movies in the way that they hoped, as they tried to stop people from copying DVD’s. Now few people buy movies on a disc. Now they try to dominate the movie industry and buy up record labels.

The whole consumer audio market is so competitive, with many additional features to the market such as Atmos, HD music, streaming capability, connectivity vis Bluetooth, and so on, it must make the manufacturer’s head spin, trying to make a profit while trying to outdo each other with features.

‘It was a Canadian distributor that originally got Sony into the North American market, before Sony was well known, and as they established their reputation here, they spread to Europe, and the rest is history.

I've never heard of a Canadian distributor starting that all.  I'd be interested to hear more.

27 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

I've never heard of a Canadian distributor starting that all.  I'd be interested to hear more.

Here is a link regarding the first sales of Sony, outside of Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Canada

Eaton’s was a large department store chain in Canada.

You need to get on Sony as they don't seem to talk much about Sony of Canada in their history.  This seems to be one of those "I was first, no I was first." kind of stories and the information on the web doesn't help much either.  The Sony Canada wiki says it was established in 1955 in the first sentence but in the History part says that Sony of Canada was founded in 1968 and that "Canadian Albert D. Cohen brings Sony's transistor radios to Canada" in 1956.  In Sony's own history it says they decided they had to expand their market outside of Japan and "In September 1955, Sony signed contracts with Superscope and Agrod authorizing them to be Sony's marketing agents.  Delmonico International, a respected electronics wholesaler and dealer with a nationwide marketing network, was selected as Sony's distributor."  It goes on to say that after a disagreement and settlement with Delmonico "Sony Corporation of America was established on February 15, 1960".  

I think we can establish for sure that Sony was started in Japan!

Just this week I took delivery of a pair of factory refurbished Yamaha NX-N500 speakers (nearly half new price with new warranty).

They are wall mounted in my home office and I must say, I am really impressed. Each speaker is biamped internally and as near-field monitors they are superb. I run them from the same NAS as my Linn system and the Yamaha MusicCast app seems to work really well. Plays everything DS plays and has USB link, which allows them to be connected to a PC and used as a USB soundcard/DAC. The two speakers have a balanced audio link (supposedly they are AB amps, not D) and a digital connection to keep everything in sync (= a lot of cables, five including ethernet).

Finally I can listen to classical music whilst working and have bearable sound quality!

I took a punt on them as I was also impressed with the Yamaha WX-AD10 streamer that I use with our second/TV system (LK style Majik-I + ancient Wharfedale Delta 70s)

2020-10-08 19.51.22.jpg

• Like 1

DIY Lenehan LK1 kit speakers.

1384887061_IMG_0152(2).thumb.JPG.4fe689c3639cb0a2afdcfc579973bfb3.JPG

• Like 1

Chord Choral mini system - although mine is in black - makes a nice noise with CDs or when fed from JRiver Media Centre  over USB. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1