Show Us Your Non-Linn Stereo

An Ariston, Sony BDP, Panasonic PVR, Melco, PS Audio PowerPlant, Some Exakted PMCs, lots of Cyrus, Naim wires and Swedish amps

20200302_145321+-+Copy.jpg

20200302_145330+-+Copy.jpg

20190623_215406.jpg

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Like 3

Great setup Sunbeamgls.

‘Looks like a trip to North Wales is in order

17 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

You need to get on Sony as they don't seem to talk much about Sony of Canada in their history.  This seems to be one of those "I was first, no I was first." kind of stories and the information on the web doesn't help much either.  The Sony Canada wiki says it was established in 1955 in the first sentence but in the History part says that Sony of Canada was founded in 1968 and that "Canadian Albert D. Cohen brings Sony's transistor radios to Canada" in 1956.  In Sony's own history it says they decided they had to expand their market outside of Japan and "In September 1955, Sony signed contracts with Superscope and Agrod authorizing them to be Sony's marketing agents.  Delmonico International, a respected electronics wholesaler and dealer with a nationwide marketing network, was selected as Sony's distributor."  It goes on to say that after a disagreement and settlement with Delmonico "Sony Corporation of America was established on February 15, 1960".  

I think we can establish for sure that Sony was started in Japan!

Thank you for that information.

‘Sony’s history seems to be confusing, outside of Japan.

Apart from the turntable (Axis) and speakers (Espek), which are Linn... Lejonklou Kinki MM phono preamp, digital streamer and NAS based on the Lejonklou Hakai spec, Lejonklou Boazu integrated amp. Plus many many wires. 

Best digital system I have ever owned, and now I have to figure out the upgrade path for my rather out-classed Axis. 

IMG_20201008_165131883.jpg

• Like 1

Mostly DIY stack, except the AKG 'phones', Yamaha streamer SB Touch, DAC and DVD player.

TT on the left is a 70s LP12 and on the right is an 80s Rock.

DIY gear is (top to bottom) Akitika MM Phono, Boozehound labs pre pre and 10:1 SUT in same chassis, Whammy Headphone amp, B1 pre and M2X First Watt clone.

DIY.thumb.jpg.ad99591550eb89a0f4c88ad06b68e63d.jpg

Edited by Batty
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

Chord Choral mini system - although mine is in black - makes a nice noise with CDs or when fed from JRiver Media Centre  over USB. 

image.jpeg

Lovely! 

Chord stuff just looks so striking. And sounds amazing to boot :D

• Like 2

On 30/08/2020 at 19:20, Paulssurround said:

I'll start with one of my non-Linn stereo devices, a Safe-Tec Tyr 3 bicycle helmet.

This week I received my newest addition stereo. It is not exactly HiFi sound quality, but it is portable and the sound quality is decent enough, using Jawbone technology.

The really cool thing is that I can hear the music really clearly, even with wind rushing in my ears, and can still hear traffic around me as I pedal

It uses Bluetooth to stream music from my iPhone, and accepts voice command, to change volume and switch tracks, or ask for specific artists or songs. The website does not indicate that it accepts Siri voice commands, but it works well, as long as you have an internet connection as you ride. I use the LTE on my iPhone

With built in front and rear lights, turn signals and brake lights it has obtained more than a few enquiries from people as I ride. 

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

This is clearly the most important component in your system @Paulssurround. How can I know? Well, I destroyed my bicycle helmet in an 'unforced' accident a month ago. (Suddenly lost the grip of my rear tyre while cornering.) You can clearly see the 'print' of the tarmac created by the impact on the outer shell, and the polystyrol on the inner side is broken. My collarbone and three ribs were fractured, but my skull, brain, and ears are still ok. So, Kudos to helmets. A must have to any bicycle plus audio enthusiast!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

This is clearly the most important component in your system @Paulssurround. How can I know? Well, I destroyed my bicycle helmet in an 'unforced' accident a month ago. (Suddenly lost the grip of my rear tyre while cornering.) You can clearly see the 'print' of the tarmac created by the impact on the outer shell, and the polystyrol on the inner side is broken. My collarbone and three ribs were fractured, but my skull, brain, and ears are still ok. So, Kudos to helmets. A must have to any bicycle plus audio enthusiast!

Sorry to hear about your accident. 

I hope you are on the mend for a full recovery aided by listening to music.

‘The helmet above has built in MIPS technology, which I hope not to test out.

Take care and all the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This isn’t exactly a ‘stereo’ in itself, but I recently received an ‘uncapped’ version of Sony’s NW-WM1Z Walkman from Hong Kong.

For headphone listening it’s very, very good. And it gives the Chord TT2 a good run for it’s money!

EFD1A948-70D4-4A6E-A0C4-5D6BEB32CE96.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

This isn’t exactly a ‘stereo’ in itself, but I recently received an ‘uncapped’ version of Sony’s NW-WM1Z Walkman from Hong Kong.

For headphone listening it’s very, very good. And it gives the Chord TT2 a good run for it’s money!

Play this one flac`s?

Edited by Johannes

6 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Play this one flac`s?

Yes, it will play almost any format you wish to listen to, including FLAC, ALAC, DSD etc.

Edited by kelly200269

1 minute ago, kelly200269 said:

Yes, it will play almost any format you wish to listen to, including FLAC, ALAC, DSD etc.

Nice one! 
I had a look on the specifications:

AUDIO PLAYBACK
AAC (Non-DRM), AIFF, ALAC, DSD, FLAC, HE-AAC, Linear PCM, MP3, WMA (Non-DRM)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Last week, I picked up a new Home Pod Mini, for $130 Cdn.

‘My intention was to buy it , just to see what it could do. I had heard it is packed with technology, and for its size is supposed to sound reasonably good. If I were to purchase 2, it would automatically pair to stereo.

‘I love that it operates on voice commands and gives me access to music on the internet, my Apple devices and even my TV through Apple TV

It has now found a permanent home in my listening room, and is much more convenient to play internet radio than switching on my Linn, having my surround system fired up to stream internet radio as background music.

‘I just say “Siri, play Radio Paradise “ and it’s on instantly, streaming any radio station available on Tune-in. .” Hey Siri, turn up the volume, turn off, what is the weather today and I get an instant response .

“Hey Siri, tell me a joke” Her response, Spock had 3 ears. A left ear, a right ear, and a final front ear. 

Playing around with speaker positioning, it sounds best sitting 3cm away from the wall, sitting on top of a Gunstig. It is a keeper. 

5D0B5E9E-A8DB-4459-A490-0D1983242C9E.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Playing around with speaker positioning, it sounds best sitting 3cm away from the wall, sitting on top of a Gunstig. It is a keeper. 

An audiophile’s approach to convenient listening: find the best position in the room and add some vibration control. Nothing surprises me.:) Nice looking kit, by the way.

• Like 1

The Gunstig might help if they are still leaving rings on wooden furniture. 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/12/22328436/apple-discontinues-original-homepod-mini

Edited by Jail4CEOs2