mr.me

Any Love for JJ ECC802S Gold Pin

My new preamp has arrived sporting 4 Chinese 12AU7 tubes which I have to say sound superb. But, as you do, I rolled them with Brimar 13D5 which are close to equivalent, thinking that these would give a real improvement.......not so. So having an itch to scratch I have heard that these JJ's are quite good and close to some of the better NOS tubes so has anyone used them and if so what was your thinking? 

Cheers

Not familiar with that valve however l use the JJ Electric ECC83S in my integrated amplifier and phono stage and they sound blooming superb, seeing off some expensive valves- plus they are cheap as chips.:geek::cool:

I have a few of the JJ ECC803S gold pin variants and some of their 5751s, as well as a fair choice of 50s, 60s and 70s varieties. The JJs are very good, regardless of price. Take the price into account and they're ridiculously good. Bearing in mind the usual caveat that the circuit and the way a valves is run makes far more difference than the valve itself, I've used the JJs in a few things here and I'd rate them at least as good as a lot of NOS stuff, and actually better than quite a few.

Super Wammer
On 31/08/2020 at 16:49, mr.me said:

My new preamp has arrived sporting 4 Chinese 12AU7 tubes which I have to say sound superb. But, as you do, I rolled them with Brimar 13D5 which are close to equivalent, thinking that these would give a real improvement.......not so. So having an itch to scratch I have heard that these JJ's are quite good and close to some of the better NOS tubes so has anyone used them and if so what was your thinking? 

Cheers

Is this the Musical Paradise pre you were talking about in another thread? I looked at the info and the tube rolling options seem impressive. Are you impressed then? I’ve been looking at phonostages and the MP also looks (on paper) a good option other than the size which is as big as my pathos amp!

5 hours ago, radiant red said:

Is this the Musical Paradise pre you were talking about in another thread? I looked at the info and the tube rolling options seem impressive. Are you impressed then? I’ve been looking at phonostages and the MP also looks (on paper) a good option other than the size which is as big as my pathos amp!

No, it's a PrimaLuna Prologue Premium and yes I am very impressed.

Edited by mr.me