The wrath of a hornets nest.

10 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

name those who have in mind . . .

I've just ran through again and my eyes are bad in the morning but I read emotiva, Denon and I think I also read benchmark in another review he had dealings with. 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my (not) humble opinion, and definitely in my experience, both measurements and listening are necessary. Measurements give you a 'broad brush' idea of whether something is likely to suit your taste

It's very possible to fool yourself in any way. Just as easy to fool yourself that two things measuring the same must therefore sound the same, even when everyone is well aware they don't. Also v

Couldn't resist having a peek at ASR to see how the forum reacted. As expected,  Amir defence force has been deployed with full force! Some people need to chill the f*ck out and listen to some music. 

Posted Images

A bit of a dig at PS Audio in this video:

Watch to the end though. Interesting on the cables he uses and his reasoning why.

ASR don't merit that people have subjective tastes, have unique rooms and requirements.  Seems crazy to me that subjective listening evaluations are frowned upon.

That PS audio guy is an annoying twat but i hope he pulls something out of the bag to put ASR back in their box.

Edited by michaelgb
18 minutes ago, michaelgb said:

ASR don't merit that people have subjective tastes, have unique rooms and requirements.  Seems crazy to me that subjective listening evaluations are frowned upon.

That PS audio guy is an annoying twat but i hope he pulls something out of the bag to put ASR back in their box.

Paul of PS Audio got some 119k youtube subscribers!:D

23 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

Not sure what percentage among PS Audio customers who actually look at their products measurements before purchase. 

I've had 3 PS audio dacs now, first one bought unheard on a whim, the others with the benefit of my ears...not heard anything since that has changed my mind.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, michaelgb said:

I read Paul McGowan's autobiography a while back, you may find him annoying, but he's one of the good guys. It gave quite a lot of insight into the background and ethos that PS audio strive towards. If you read it, i would hope that you would feel the same..

• Like 3

For me he’s not annoying. He is a good old chap who doesn't only give advise based on his engineering degree but also experience for many years. Well if somebody doesn’t believe cables makes a difference he’ll be annoyed.:D

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, BigJK156 said:

Watch to the end though. Interesting on the cables he uses and his reasoning why.

Thanks for this, I watched it all.  Usually I get bored by the YouTube videos but he is very articulate and clear I think.  He’s right that cables shouldn’t sound of anything.  Years ago it was sometimes referred to as the shortest piece of wire was the best because that has the least effect. Now you have folks saying mains cables need to be exactly 1.7m or something!  

I agree that his Kimber cables look great and I’d happily use a set if they sent me some too! 

I rather like Paul McGowan's take on things, but he is a consummate salesman. Most in his position are, though IMO the very best simply hold back. Lew Johnson and Mike Creek come to mind.

I'm sure it's a good read Joolz, but his is the only audio manufacturer's autobiography I've ever heard of.

Wouldn't mind reading Dave Wilson's though. Or Hiroyasu Kondo's, had either ever thought to write one.

1 hour ago, batteredhaggis said:

I rather like Paul McGowan's take on things, but he is a consummate salesman. Most in his position are, though IMO the very best simply hold back. Lew Johnson and Mike Creek come to mind.

I'm sure it's a good read Joolz, but his is the only audio manufacturer's autobiography I've ever heard of.

Wouldn't mind reading Dave Wilson's though. Or Hiroyasu Kondo's, had either ever thought to write one.

Jamie, It's sort of like 'field of dreams' without the baseball.......

• Haha 1

'If you build it, they will come'.

Trouble is, you get wammers ;-)

• Haha 2
34 minutes ago, batteredhaggis said:

'If you build it, they will come'.

Trouble is, you get wammers ;-)

I think you can vaccinate against Wammers just keep linking to sites that only measure and saying you need to listen blind , no Wammer will touch you then . :rofl:

• Haha 3
On 03/09/2020 at 18:28, Warszawa said:

I honestly think the Audio Science "Reviews" would fly well below the radar of companies like PS Audio if it wasn't for the pages and pages of vitriol that follow them. Dozens of self proclaimed experts suggesting audio engineers with decades of experience don't know what they're doing. It wouldn't surprise me if someone eventually takes legal action.

Does anyone at ASR manufacture any hifi products? If they are knowledgable and have a following it would seem to make sense and they could take a huge market share. It’s easy to not make anything and criticise those who do. 

Quite a few engineers/manufacturers post over at ASR, including John Siau of Benchmark , Mattias Carstens of RME, Geoff Martin B&O,  foo manufacturers don’t tend to post, for obvious reasons.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3