Sign in to follow this  
DomT

Neat Iota Alpha user opinions please

Super Wammer

It seems to make sense to start a new thread as this is the speaker I am most interested in. 

I am temporarily using Harbeth P3ESR on the end of an Auralic/Marantz PM11S2 front end (And also a Luxman PD171/Audio Note turntable).

Lounge diner is 5x3ish meters. The Harbeths are great in a smaller room nearfield but in the lounge it is lacking in punch. So my journey to find an alternative has led me to the Neat Iota Alpha. It’s small and practical (easy to move out once a week for dinner parties) and sounded great at a dealer. I also listened to B&W and Rega but the Neats were way ahead.

I only heard it for a few hours but not in my system and home demos are not possible.

Would love to hear owner’s opinions especially from anyone who has compared them to P3ESR.

thanks

I love mine, but they’re in a fairly small room and never really get pushed hard. Plenty of detail and enough bass for me, does need the volume up a touch to get the best of the bass. Superb on vocals and very revealing of tiny details 

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, deadflagbrews said:

I love mine, but they’re in a fairly small room and never really get pushed hard. Plenty of detail and enough bass for me, does need the volume up a touch to get the best of the bass. Superb on vocals and very revealing of tiny details 

Thanks. I also found vocals to be good. I don’t need to listen loud. How are they for long listening sessions? Despite being detailed they didn’t appear to be forward sounding at the dealers unlike the two pairs of Regas that sounded uncivilised and fatiguing by comparison although exciting for maybe 15 minutes. 

I find that they are a real neat pair of speakers (pun intended 😂🤣). They can be pushed slightly louder than the P3ESR but the question is how loud do you really want to go for your space?

My living room is a mere 13’w x 10’l but it’s also open/attached to dining area and that makes it 13’w x 24’l. The little P3ESR has no issue filling up the room as I have a sub.

Super Wammer

I don't need to go very loud. My interest is to achieve deeper and more punchy bass than the P3ESR. And I am not too keen on just buying a second pair if there is something else that I would like.

My main concern with the Neats is whether they would reveal themselves to be fatiguing due to the tweeter. In the 2 hours that I had (also swapping for Rega and B&W) they didn't seem so but I had never heard the other speakers before. Also the Stereophile reviewer said that they were difficult to place in his room but no other reviewer mentioned that.

I’ve just bought a black pair of the auction site. They are as good as reviews claim. Tight punchy bass, detailed and non fatiguing tip end.

Ii am amazed that something so small can sound so big.

However they don’t go as loud as I want in my room when I’m home alone so I’m selling already.

I can offer them for £750 delivered. Or bid on them on that auction site and you may get them cheaper.
Pm me for more info 

mand 

Edited by Mand

12 hours ago, DomT said:

Thanks. I also found vocals to be good. I don’t need to listen loud. How are they for long listening sessions? Despite being detailed they didn’t appear to be forward sounding at the dealers unlike the two pairs of Regas that sounded uncivilised and fatiguing by comparison although exciting for maybe 15 minutes. 

I don’t find them fatiguing at all. Often find myself turning the system up rather than off 

Super Wammer

Anyone else? Don’t be shy!

Super Wammer

Was doing some research and it appears that Google isn’t so clever after all  google search for floorstanders close to wall and whilst as you can see the websites were audio related the images section was thinking about something else; unless google knows that floorstanders are the devils work? 😂😂😂

6095AD2F-3CCA-4745-94A5-20F3BACC39E6.png

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Neats are obviously ideal for the smallest room!

• Haha 1

For what it's worth I have only heard them at the Bristol Hifi show and was very impressed - made a mental note to maybe get some one day. Although it may have been the Xplorer ones I heard. Were very good to my ears though ....

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Well I have taken a complete punt on a pair of second hand Neat iota Alphas.  I have never heard them in my system or at home.  Fingers crossed and thanks for those that added a bit of confidence to the decision.

I might get them shipped to Portugal but most likely will wait until an Xmas trip to the UK so long as there are no signs of restrictions in Portugal, Spain, France and the UK O.o

Super Wammer

Nice!  Were they the lovely walnut ones that didn’t last long on eBay today?

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Nice!  Were they the lovely walnut ones that didn’t last long on eBay today?

Yes they were indeed! I had a saved search which helped.

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, DomT said:

Yes they were indeed! I had a saved search which helped.

I do too, but by the time I looked they were gone.  Can’t wait to hear what you think of them!  One of the few truly different designs out there, ime.