robbie010

Where Next with Phono Stage ??

Super Wammer

Having reconnected with my turntable and vinyl I’m looking at a potential phono stage change / upgrade. 

I’m currently using a Edwards Audio MC1 with separate PSU1. This phono stage is no slouch but I feel I could get more from my analogue front end so I am looking for advice and opinions on a potential change. 

TT is Scheu Analogue Cello and arm is Scheu Analogue Cantus with a Dynavector DV20X cart. 

My first thought is something with lots of cartridge loading and adjustment option. However, I’ve always pined after a EAR 834P but not sure a tube phono would gel well with my tube amp. 

You may well have to spend more than you think to better the MC1 and psu. I would suggest you need to be listening to the likes of the Trilogy stages (906 or7), Rega ios,  or similar models from Lehman.

How much can you afford? I've owned the Edwards MC3 in the past, which was a good all rounder, and moved on to the Longdog MCJ3, which is excellent. I'm guessing that's above budget, so I'd recommend a Rega Aria. The later version is one of Rega's best products, for me; a great design at that price point.

I have a home built EAR834p clone you are welcome to try - buy if you like it, return if not.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, g8ina said:

I have a home built EAR834p clone you are welcome to try - buy if you like it, return if not.

Thats a kind offer, David. Thanks. 

I’ll drop you a PM. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, robbie010 said:

Having reconnected with my turntable and vinyl I’m looking at a potential phono stage change / upgrade. 

I’m currently using a Edwards Audio MC1 with separate PSU1. This phono stage is no slouch but I feel I could get more from my analogue front end so I am looking for advice and opinions on a potential change. 

TT is Scheu Analogue Cello and arm is Scheu Analogue Cantus with a Dynavector DV20X cart. 

My first thought is something with lots of cartridge loading and adjustment option. However, I’ve always pined after a EAR 834P but not sure a tube phono would gel well with my tube amp. 

My natural inclination is to point you towards the Audion Premier that I owned for 7 years and had the importer upgrade it. It’s mm only so you will need an SUT. I now have the Trilogy 907 c£3000 and miss the Audion for its dynamics. But I needed to save space so bought the Trilogy. The 906 at c£1000 is not far behind the 907.

Alternatively the Dynavector phono stage with special circuit for Dynavector cartridges is an obvious choice but I have no idea if better than what you have. I use the P75 my 3 and it is surprisingly good. 

Super Wammer

I’d be tempted by one with a variety of settings to cope with almost any cartridge you might buy.  However, bear in mind how likely it is that you’ll be regularly swapping.  Also, the switches are sometimes around the back, or underneath, and beware those little dip switch thingies which I’m not sure are all that reliable longer-term.  

Were I in the market, I’d be keen to investigate the Cyrus Phono Signature further as it seems very versatile yet can even be switched by remote control. I’m not usually a Cyrus fan, but this strikes me as an exception. 

Here’s one review...https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/cyrus-phono-signaturepsx-r2-phono-stage-and-power-supply

Edited by Nopiano

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I’d be tempted by one with a variety of settings to cope with almost any cartridge you might buy.  However, bear in mind how likely it is that you’ll be regularly swapping.  Also, the switches are sometimes around the back, or underneath, and beware those little dip switch thingies which I’m not sure are all that reliable longer-term.  

Were I in the market, I’d be keen to investigate the Cyrus Phono Signature further as it seems very versatile yet can even be switched by remote control. I’m not usually a Cyrus fan, but this strikes me as an exception. 

Here’s one review...https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/cyrus-phono-signaturepsx-r2-phono-stage-and-power-supply

You have raised a good point about using different cartridges. 

Some people say that settings get in the way of a great sound and others say otherwise.

I have used different cartridges with the same Audion phono stage that has no settings without problems eg Koetsu Urishi, Dynavector DRT-1S, Audio Note IO and Dynavector DV20. Maybe it was luck. Maybe someone will tell me it was suboptimal but they all sounded great to me. 

But if you are not a cartridge swapper Tom Evans can build a phonostage specifically for your chosen cartridge.