Non-Smoking Man

In Praise Of 'Spooks'..

'Spooks'  is a longrunning drama series about the British Intelligence services available on the BBC  'I'Player. (I have no idea (sic.) what the 'i' stands for and I should-their fault.)

It is set when it was produced so the key are the cars - Series 3 shows a BMW Series 3 being driven by one of the spies (or 'spooks').)

There are umpteen series - a good thing.

I'm not going to list the stellar guest actors that are to be seen in this TV drama series - I'll leave you to savour their performances.

Its not just the cream of tv actors in this genre but the relentless diversity of plot and characters that dazzles, but the terrific acting and excellent camera work. How did they come up with all this? The end result betokens talent of the highest order in the writing department.

The lead male is Peter Firth, who has come a long way since playing the fervent but naive new recruit Stephen Croft in the Royal Flying Corps, 1st WW  film,  Aces High.

Highly recommended with a companion - which could be a beautiful woman (etc..) or a bottle of Chardonnay or Shiraz. Whatever floats your boat and is currently available.

Allow 36 hours..

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

absolutely adore spooks , recently got the first 3 series . got all of them now and wade through an episode  at least once a week 

• Like 2

I binge watched it through lockdown. Gripping yarns...

• Like 2

What gives a proto successful drama series propulsion? Script, production values and a good cast is a good start. Ive seen this before - success breeds success - suddenly the cream of British acting (the best in the world) wants 'in' aided by their agents. Its the guest appearances that fascinate me (those cameo roles -quick in and out)- everyone wanted to be in it! The character 'Ros' from that Manchester-based longrunning series whose names escapes me with a rounded Belfast accent as the lead, the oldfashioned detective from  Endeavour.. etc..

There's a good mix of ages too. Older faces are very interesting..

Jack

Excellent series. The early episodes in particular with Keeley Hawes. :x

my fav episode is on tonight on Drama channel. This is the one about training for a mass biological attack on London. Seen it a few times. Gripping stuff.  

I started to watch a film called Spooks which I thought was maybe a spinoff of the TV series. It was unwatchable, however I believe the series is good so |I will have a look out for this on Netflix. 

The whole thing is on iPlayer

• Upvote 1

funny thing my TV seems not to be able to play iplayer , can do amazon but just says not enough network connection for i player so i got it on dvd !!! 

We have recently watched a few of these. Currently on series 2, an episode about a simulated exercise. All okay until this particular episode which is just not gelling. The stories are quite good with a story wrapped up in each episode. Some of the acting is a bit wooden/piss poor. Peter Firth in particular is really unconvincing as are a few others. Nicola Walker is currently over acting but I do like her acting in general. Keeley Hawes is quite good. I think the weaknesses may be in the script/direction. I'll stick with it as the boss is okay with it.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk