newlash09

Active analogue crossover vs digital dsp crossover

Well I have finally gone active! Very exciting! Massive thanks to Keith this afternoon for helping me with the DCX settings :notworthy:

I decided against class D for bass duty. I drove down to Nintronics and bought a pair of Emotiva XPA HC-1 monoblocks. 600w each into 4 ohms, 3KW power supply.

I now have to spend time fiddling with the crossover settings but so far all is well. 

IMG_20201017_170119_resize_87.jpg

Edited by Psilonaught
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I was able to do a bit of casual, and not critical, listening last night, and as with last time I used the DCX, I'm really surprised how transparent it is. I'll do more listening today and start inputting some REW defined EQ adjustment.

My Magnepans with their phenomenal ribbon tweeters let me hear differences between output tubes, for example, a lot more easily compared to even my 1.7s.

I therefore really can't understand the comments on forums about the stock DCX not being "hifi" enough. 

The floor noise hiss is also extremely low, and only audible with ear right up against the tweeters. 

Going to order a miniDSP next, just to compare.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Going to order a miniDSP next, just to compare.

What model do you have in mind? Note there is one in the classifieds at the moment, although not a model I'm familiar with.

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

What model do you have in mind? Note there is one in the classifieds at the moment, although not a model I'm familiar with.

I'd like to try a direct replacement for the Behringer, with analogue output and XLR so that means a miniDSP 4x10 HD. 

Unfortunately it appears I can't have a mini DSP before the crossover as my Innuos is USB output only and my dac's external femto clock only accepts usb input.

Unless I'm mistaken, no miniDSP has usb input/output, AES only.

This is an interesting read on digital crossovers with blind testing.

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2010/12/active-crossover-listening-tests.html?m=1

12 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

I'd like to try a direct replacement for the Behringer, with analogue output and XLR so that means a miniDSP 4x10 HD. 

Unfortunately it appears I can't have a mini DSP before the crossover as my Innuos is USB output only and my dac's external femto clock only accepts usb input.

Unless I'm mistaken, no miniDSP has usb input/output, AES only.

I'm aware of SPDIF-RCA, Toslink and AES/EBU digital outputs on miniDSPs but not USB.

I'll be honest I'm not really sure why you're keen to spend money on any miniDSP if you're already happy with what you have. Unless there is some particular additional functionality that you are after?

Edited by MartinC

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I'm aware of SPDIF-RCA, Toslink and AES/EBU digital outputs on miniDSPs but not USB.

I'll be honest I'm not really sure why you're keen to spend money on any miniDSP if you're already happy with what you have. Unless there is some particular additional functionality that you are after?

Probably right. Better to compare the DCX to the sublime audio analogue crossover. 

Reason is obviously, sound quality :D

• Like 1

Interesting read on the comparison with DCX and DSP,  though I’m lost as to their ideas if using either unit to ‘design’ an analogue crossover and have it manufactured - they seem to ignore how you would gain match the amps used in a system, or the systems they are using dsp on are single amp setups ?

Edited by MF 1000

7 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Reason is obviously, sound quality :D

Remind me - how many crossovers per side do you need? I just skimmed back through the thread but couldn't find this quickly.

57 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Remind me - how many crossovers per side do you need? I just skimmed back through the thread but couldn't find this quickly.

Two 

1 hour ago, MF 1000 said:

Interesting read on the comparison with DCX and DSP,  though I’m lost as to their ideas if using either unit to ‘design’ an analogue crossover and have it manufactured - they seem to ignore how you would gain match the amps used in a system, or the systems they are using dsp on are single amp setups ?

Also unless I'm mistaken they don't actually state how the stock DCX compares to the modified one. 

14 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Two 

In that case,  if you want to try a miniDSP to see if you can get better quality I think you should demo an SHD Studio (all digital) or SHD (with analogue outputs). Strictly Stereo and Kalibrate are two UK dealers I've bought products from that you could try.

:doh:

Edited by MartinC

10 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Also unless I'm mistaken they don't actually state how the stock DCX compares to the modified one. 

Fundamentally they seemed to conclude they couldn't reliably tell a difference between any of them, didn't they?

Edited by MartinC

1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

This is an interesting read on digital crossovers with blind testing.

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2010/12/active-crossover-listening-tests.html?m=1

Interesting

Subjectively reading a subjective test :) it seemed miniDSP was the winner :D

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In that case,  if you want to try a miniDSP to see if you can get better quality I think you should demo an SHD Studio (all digital) or SHD (with analogue outputs). Strictly Stereo and Kalibrate are two UK dealers I've bought products from that you could try.

...but those will only give you one crossover per side...?

• Upvote 1