Ceko

Looking for a great vintage CD player

Also the fact that it's deadsilent when you spin a disk.      i just love that , noisy mechanisms drive me bonkers . 

Quite old Marantz CD48 is very very good

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 20:26, radiant red said:

As Lurch said. It was an awesome player, holds its own today. Just not seen one for a long time. Kicking myself for not getting it but priorities were different. 

You probably saved yourself  right old ball ache- l had the CD2 and it sounded great when it worked.... the CD1 was supposed to be equally unreliable l was told, which is a shame.

Super Wammer

Not black, nor barren of buttons, but I’d be very tempted by this Revox beauty...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193622212781

Super Wammer

if you've got a DAC I'd recommend a Pioneer stable platter as a transport, get it clocked and enjoy it for years,

look for a good condition 904 , 802 etc you should get change out of £200

On 13/09/2020 at 23:53, Lawrence001 said:

Someone I know has just asked me if I can sell their Meridian 508 for them (original version I think). But as has been commented on above the transports may now be unobtanium.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I had a Meridian 508 and  Musical Fidelity A5 on home demo years ago and  preferred the A5 but not sure what CD mechanism that uses. 

Edited by wHIZZY

21 hours ago, tuga said:

My suggestion is that you look for a player for which there are still laser replacement units and get one while it's still available.

That's always been my main issue with older players. Once I've purchased one I can't be doing with faffing around replacing parts.

1 hour ago, Lokes said:

if you've got a DAC I'd recommend a Pioneer stable platter as a transport, get it clocked and enjoy it for years,

In their day the Trichord branded modified versions were quite exceptional. There were two, the Genesis and the Revilation. The latter was really quite special and I regret selling mine. 

Edited by wHIZZY

3 hours ago, Lokes said:

Probably a noob question, but what does it mean to "get it clocked"?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

In their day the Trichord branded modified versions were quite exceptional. There were two, the Genesis and the Revilation. The latter was really quite special and I regret selling mine. 

I've still got an immaculate boxed Trichord Genesis III sitting unused in my loft.

• Confused 1

DrCassette on YouTube (Jonas from Germany) did a video about a mid-range type Philips CD618 CD player from 1991 which uses the Philips CDM4 CD mechanism.  The build quality of Philips electronics is usually London (Eindhoven?  xD), and DrCassette pointed out that his specimen is no different, but it does seem that parts are available for the CDM4 mechanism and may be available at reasonable prices.  DrCassette's Philips player had a problem with the CD tray mechanism where the plastic flywheel appears to have been made from cheese or some other type of London, but he was able to source a replacement from the EU for a low price and he was able to fix it himself which he demonstrated in the video.

A quick search shows that replacement CDM4 lasers are available, but I'm not sure if the quality of those replacements is good or not.  What did impress me is that DrCassette demonstrated that the Philips from 1991, which presumably has the original laser that it came with, was able to play a CD-RW!  That's quite impressive.  Even some CD players from the early 2000s couldn't play CD-RWs even when they were new.

Anyway, I'm not sure if better CD players were made using the same mechanism, but if so, that might be worth investigating.

A number of years ago, DrCassette did a video about a Technics CD player, the SL-P770, which seemed quite nice in at least the video.  I'm not sure how it sounds, but I would guess it sounds pretty good given my experiences with other, lower-end Technics CD players of the time.  There is a model higher than that in the Technics range of the time as DrCassette points out.  Those Technics seemingly have a bit of a known issue with the transport as well, but DrCassette shows that it's a pretty easy fix.  I'm not sure if replacement parts are available for those Technics though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoRzNlgvu0c

Edited by Klassik

Super Wammer
20 hours ago, Ceko said:

Probably a noob question, but what does it mean to "get it clocked"?

All CD players contain a master clock , this ensures that data is processed accurately from a timing standpoint,

any errors in timing manifest themselves as jitter ( basically a timing distortion ).

The idea behind clocking a CD player is to replace the standard item with a more accurate clock,

usually fed from an independant regulated power supply, this more accurate clock results in very low jitter

and a more accurate reproduction of the data off the disc.

When I replaced the clock in my Pioneer ( Trichord clock ) the slight edge to the music before clocking was gone ,

in it's place was detail, specifically image depth. I think more modern CD players address this to some extent,

back when the Stable platter players were sold it was rare in a commercial product.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2020 at 20:33, radiant red said:

Another consideration is something from Teac such as this VRDS7 or better the 10 or 25. Built like a tank and although they had a mech issue, parts are readily available. These can be modified in many ways and plenty of things on the web.

you should get a decent 10 for your budget

9E8BA91E-B54D-417D-9727-153AB582EF2F.jpeg

Had one and failed after warranty expired. Lampizator did a tear down and it’s filled with cheap as chips shitty Chinese components costing cents inside. Fancy packaging. Go for Beogram CD7000, Sony ES, Sony 915, older Marantz, older Denon, NAD s500. Honest solid engineering. 

Edited by A.S.

A couple of days ago, I mentioned a fairly mainstream Philips CD player using the Philips CDM-4 mechanism which YouTube user DrCassette recently showed on his channel.  I knew there was a list someone compiled of the various DACs and mechanisms which many different CD players use.  I found a copy of the list on this URL:

https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

Given the above CDM-4 example, it does look like it was a fairly popular mechanism and it was used in models sold by several hoity-toity brands such as Mark Levinson, Marantz (though I suppose Marantz using Philips parts should hardly be surprising), California Audio Labs, NAIM, B&O, Arcam, and a few others.  The Philips shown by DrCassette and some of the more expensive brands are listed as using a CDM-4/19, but others have some other variant of the CDM-4.  I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between the various CDM-4 mechanisms, if the parts are interchangeable, and if they all have the same pros and cons as the one shown by DrCassette.

Anyway, the list linked above is pretty interesting in case people have not seen it before. It may help in determining which CD players have affordably available replacement lasers and which do not.