Funk Firm Houdini

2 hours ago, matodono1 said:

In a normal setup you have both a mass (arm and cartridge combined hard fixed) and the compliance of the cantelever. One is relational to the other. You need both to match to predict results. The mass does not work alone!

Houdini complicates this relationship by adding a second mass and second compliance splitting the previously combined mass of arm and cartridge when bolted together. Hence coupled oscillator. It is complicated physics not easily charted.

Thus there is only one thing for it. You suck it and see. Or in simple terms just try it. If it doesn't work for you you get your money back. The only science experiment needed is to bolt it between your arm and cart and listen.

Could not be simpler and no one gets hurt.

Matt,

I already have one. Never tried sucking it though.

It did not work well with my heavy DL-103, but works nicely with my more normal cartridges.

• Like 1
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. I'll bite. I've seen this item being spammed across many forums and even more Facebook user groups. Sometimes the text (I don't normally post to these forums) is virtually the same. That does

I am more inclined to believe a testimonial from someone who has actually used it than those from the 'foo' camp who are simply being cynical.  

All of your posts on this thread have had me nodding my head with agreement.  I am not a nay-sayer of anything in particular, but this sale pitch (OP) has been plastered on every bloody forum out

Posted Images

On 11/04/2021 at 17:58, John (big) said:

Simples buy some 3M  tape available on fleabay I would try and remove the residue but if level stick over the top

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-468MP-10-x-8cm-Sheet-Double-Sided-Adhesive-Tape-4-Touch-Screen-Phone-Repair/221901626024?epid=22003609770&hash=item33aa5e1aa8:g:NUkAAOSwafhbYx1K

Image 2 - 3M 468MP 10 x 8cm Sheet Double Sided Adhesive Tape 4 Touch Screen Phone Repair

My tape arrived today.

I may try the Music Maker Classic on the Houdini soon.

18 minutes ago, CageyH said:

My tape arrived today.

I look forwaed to your  assessment of similarities and differences in particular.

23 minutes ago, CageyH said:

My tape arrived today.

Kevin,

You will find that almost anything in an aerosol can will desolve glue or sticky adhesive residue, deordorant, furniture polish or even 3 in 1 spray oil. The best of all is a product called Sticky Stuff remover by a company called Desolv-it also called Desolv-it same stuff in a different can.

Best of luck.

Edited by matodono1
6 minutes ago, matodono1 said:

Kevin,

You will find that almost anything in an aerosol can will desolve glue or sticky adhesive residue, deordorant, furniture polish or even 3 in 1 spray oil. The best of all is a product called Sticky Stuff remover by a company called Desolv-it also called Desolv-it same stuff in a different can.

Best of luck.

I agree with kevin however a word of  warning  the reason I first spoke to Len & bought a MK1 Musicmaker was as a result of using servisol to clean a styls tip  when I inadvertently got some on my Linn Asak cantilever collapsing the suspension beyond repair. Servisol is ok with most plastics  as are most products other than WD40 which is a no no with plastics 

• Like 1

The thought of an aerosol can anywhere near one of my cartridges scares me.

If I need to remove the traces of glue, it will be done with elbow grease, in a controlled manner. I don’t want any product getting on the foam, and ruining the Isolator either.

Posted (edited)

Cartidges, especially more costly ones, tend to be full of things near which any lubricant or solvent should not go.

Any aerosol tends to disperse particles over a relatively wide area and I wouldn't go anywhere near any cartridge with anything in a can.

Edited by rabski
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, CageyH said:

The thought of an aerosol can anywhere near one of my cartridges scares me.

If I need to remove the traces of glue, it will be done with elbow grease, in a controlled manner. I don’t want any product getting on the foam, and ruining the Isolator either.

You spray the liquid into a cloth. Or indeed a container to dip a cotton bud into. Before a graphic designer I was an engineer for Siemens and Oxford Magnet Technology manufacturing MRI scanning machines. In addition I assembled the Houdini that you now own. I do have some finesse. :)

Edited by matodono1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, matodono1 said:

You spray the liquid into a cloth. Or indeed a container to dip a cotton bud into. Before a graphic designer I was an engineer for Siemens and Oxford Magnet Technology manufacturing MRI scanning machines. In addition I assembled the Houdini that you now own. I do have some finesse. :)

It's not so much about personal finnesse as comprehensive advice when sharing with novices 

The method of application was quite a chunky detail to omit. 

Alls well that ends well 👍

• Like 1
9 hours ago, matodono1 said:

Matt,

I am sure that you do have some finesse. I just wanted to be clear to anyone reading this thread that spraying a cartridge, or something near a cartridge with something in an aerosol can was not a good idea.

I have a few suitable products available, but I am in no hurry to fiddle with my audio system at the moment. It sounds very good, so why change it?

12 hours ago, Pinkie said:

It's not so much about personal finnesse as comprehensive advice when sharing with novices 

The method of application was quite a chunky detail to omit. 

Alls well that ends well 👍

A very good point well made. Absolutely agree with you. I did learn the hard way over the years.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CageyH said:

Matt,

I am sure that you do have some finesse. I just wanted to be clear to anyone reading this thread that spraying a cartridge, or something near a cartridge with something in an aerosol can was not a good idea.

I have a few suitable products available, but I am in no hurry to fiddle with my audio system at the moment. It sounds very good, so why change it?

Same reply as above. Sorry for the omission.