Looking for some new cans

My aged Sennheiser HD 590 are looking a little worse for wear. I have had them since new when they first came onto the market. I am looking to replace them. Any suggestions. I am not after spending a king's ransom as at the moment i will only be using them with an onboard headphone amp until i save me pennies for an NVA jobbie.  

Sennheiser HD560S

• Like 1

@Aristillus Yesterday Senneheiser were selling B grade HD599 for £78 delivered which seemed good value if you're not wanting to spend too much.

Not sure if they'd have any left or if that floats your boat. But just in case...

Edited by Amormusic

Thanks for the heads up.  will have a shuffty

• 2 weeks later...

If you can stretch to Senn HD6xx from Drop they're worth a shot. I've a pair of the HD599's I use for listening to audio speech for work and for the TV; for music I found the peak around 5-7kHz made them subjectively forward on much material.

Marshall Monitors (not the Majors) are imo lovely phones for IPod / Phone use. Sometimes can be had for around £85. They are probably love or hate as they have a slope from bass down to treble, especially with the removable filter fitted.

Meze 99 Classics get a lot of appreciation, not heard them and might be too pricey...

• 2 months later...
On 23/09/2020 at 05:13, Aristillus said:

My aged Sennheiser HD 590 are looking a little worse for wear. I have had them since new when they first came onto the market. I am looking to replace them. Any suggestions. I am not after spending a king's ransom as at the moment i will only be using them with an onboard headphone amp until i save me pennies for an NVA jobbie.  

Worse for wear maybe, but I bet you find them comfortable don't you?

I've got the 590's too, previously renewed the earpads and now with custom foam on the headband. I've tried other Sennheisers and models from AKG and Beyer, nothing comes close to their comfort.

I've recently bought a pair of the new HD560S. The majority of users and reviewers highlight their comfort......but, you've guessed it...not as good as the 590 (not sure anything could be).

Long ago I read someone saying the 590 used the same drivers as the (original?) HD600. Not sure about that, but I did try the HD600 for a week around 2 years ago. Expected more of an improvement over the 590 than I noticed.

No doubt you're well used to the 590 sound. Like me, you probably always knew they were coloured. The 560S removes any doubt about that.

They've got an identical 120 ohm impedance (and similar sensitivity) so whatever you use for the 590 would work for the 560S.

I see monya above was recommending the 560S, considerably different sound signature to the 590, so try before committing is the advice.

As the thread is 3 months old, you've probably got something by now anyway........

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gray said:

Worse for wear maybe, but I bet you find them comfortable don't you?

I've got the 590's too, previously renewed the earpads and now with custom foam on the headband. I've tried other Sennheisers and models from AKG and Beyer, nothing comes close to their comfort.

I've recently bought a pair of the new HD560S. The majority of users and reviewers highlight their comfort......but, you've guessed it...not as good as the 590 (not sure anything could be).

Long ago I read someone saying the 590 used the same drivers as the (original?) HD600. Not sure about that, but I did try the HD600 for a week around 2 years ago. Expected more of an improvement over the 590 than I noticed.

No doubt you're well used to the 590 sound. Like me, you probably always knew they were coloured. The 560S removes any doubt about that.

They've got an identical 120 ohm impedance (and similar sensitivity) so whatever you use for the 590 would work for the 560S.

I see monya above was recommending the 560S, considerably different sound signature to the 590, so try before committing is the advice.

As the thread is 3 months old, you've probably got something by now anyway........

What a fantastic and helpful  reply. As yet i still haven't bought a replacement and if i could get some new earpads and foam as you have i would have a go at restoring them. They really are good. Thank you for taking time to tell me this. I thought i was being an arsehole because i have listened to cans up to a grand and still preferred my aged 590's complete with my long departed retrievers teeth mark still in the side ha ha.

• Like 2
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.