Countryman

Wanted - starter turntable

I would like to give my vinyl itch a scratch. As such, I’m looking for a decent starter turntable. Something that is pretty much plug and play. Must be in jolly decent condition as, if I decide to stick with digital, I’ll need to move it on. I’m thinking a Rega P1 or 2 but will consider others. I don’t wish to tinker too much at this stage.

Must be able to post or deliver to Bury St Edmunds or I could collect locally. Budget is up to £200. 

Thank you.

I’ve got a spare Pro Jet in good condition. 
it needs the tags soldering on again, they came off with a cart change. 
I soldered them back on, but need to come off and be redone, likely with silver solder. 
otheriwse, in nice condition. Have recently serviced the bearing. 
localted in High Wycombe. Yours for £50

Super Wammer

These AT’s are not a bad start.. plug and play. 
Audio-Technica AT-LPW30TK Manual Belt Drive Wood Base Turntable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NMSPTCT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qw0AFbPE270KN

where to start :) I must have 8 tts for sale right now, 2x Trio KD1033, AR77XB, a pair of Lenco GL75, Dual 505, couple of mid range Garrads inc a direct drive which is nice, NAD 5120, plus another few I cant even remember :) If any of them tempt you I can get piccies. Happy to deliver via ParcelForce or collect Northampton.

• Like 1

This is all relatively new to me so not sure of the various merits of these models. I’d rather not buy new as, if I decide not to dive deeper into this rabbit hole, I don’t want to lose money selling it on. At this stage, I just want to plug it into my Io and have an experiment. I’ll research the models mentioned.

I can highly recommend a quartz locked direct drive Technics from the early 80s. The one i would recommend is the SL-Q202 semi automatic or SL-Q303 full automatic.

front powered 25pt.jpg

I have refurbished a couple of these and am always impressed with the quality engineering for a consumer deck intended for high street consumers. They have a a quartz locked direct drive motor, push button speed selection and a smooth automatic mechanism.  Unlike a lot of decks they also have decent isolation from footfall as the composite base including platter and arm is suspended from the cast alloy top plate.

As well as being super easy to use, these decks perform well with entry  level and high quality carts.   I have had excellent results with an AT 440 MLa and recently have even run one with an AT OC9 MLii in my study system.  They certainly don't sound like an entry level deck

For details of last refurb, please check out the following thread.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/140940-lockdown-technics-refurb/?tab=comments#comment-2530010

Like many older decks, the auto return mech and controls were rather stiff so they benefitted from an overhaul,  however both decks were still useable when purchased.

If you have any question, happy to help out.

• Like 3

I’ve got a 1989 Rega Planar 2, owned by me since new and fitted with a very low mileage AT95E, just re-adjusted to check geometry. I’ve played some vinyl on it tonight and it sounds great. It was my 18th present from my parents! Lovely condition and ready for eBay as I have too many turntables... this and an LP12 plus an Ariston RD11 in a Linn plinth (also for sale with options on cartridges - AT110 or Ortofon 2m blue). Happy to sell anything bar the LP12. Not looking for much money but need to clear out for the space. The Ariston is a peach - basically an LP12 and I couldn’t tell the difference visually or sonically.

Specs:

Rega Planar 2 with RB250 & AT95E

Ariston RD11 in Linn plinth with RB250 and AT110 or Ortofon 2m blue depending on preference. This looks exactly like a 1973 LP12.

Let me know if you’re interested and I’m sure we could work out a price.

Hugh

14 hours ago, g8ina said:

where to start :) I must have 8 tts for sale right now, 2x Trio KD1033, AR77XB, a pair of Lenco GL75, Dual 505, couple of mid range Garrads inc a direct drive which is nice, NAD 5120, plus another few I cant even remember :) If any of them tempt you I can get piccies. Happy to deliver via ParcelForce or collect Northampton.

Could you please pm me with some more info. Thanks 

9 hours ago, shuggy said:

I’ve got a 1989 Rega Planar 2, owned by me since new and fitted with a very low mileage AT95E, just re-adjusted to check geometry. I’ve played some vinyl on it tonight and it sounds great. It was my 18th present from my parents! Lovely condition and ready for eBay as I have too many turntables... this and an LP12 plus an Ariston RD11 in a Linn plinth (also for sale with options on cartridges - AT110 or Ortofon 2m blue). Happy to sell anything bar the LP12. Not looking for much money but need to clear out for the space. The Ariston is a peach - basically an LP12 and I couldn’t tell the difference visually or sonically.

Specs:

Rega Planar 2 with RB250 & AT95E

Ariston RD11 in Linn plinth with RB250 and AT110 or Ortofon 2m blue depending on preference. This looks exactly like a 1973 LP12.

Let me know if you’re interested and I’m sure we could work out a price.

Hugh

PM sent. Thank you 

If you can stretch your budget another £50 I've got a lovely Rega P2 available. 

IMG_1020.JPG

1 hour ago, Countryman said:

Could you please pm me with some more info. Thanks 

will do a little later, just off shopping :) (One of the Lencos is on ebay right now, g8ina2 user ID.)

David

16 minutes ago, Tristan said:

If you can stretch your budget another £50 I've got a lovely Rega P2 available. 

IMG_1020.JPG

Great decks, easy to set up and use, not much to go wrong and will last a very long time with minimal maintenance!

• Like 1

PM sent with photos and details.